Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had been getting recurrent SES light throwing P0455 code. Gas cap looked OK so I went right to replacing the evap control valve. Installed the Dorman replacement yesterday along with the inline fuel filter mod (discussed elsewhere on this forum). Today, SES light back in and now I'm getting P1446.

Any thoughts????

Thanks.

Jim

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
Had been getting recurrent SES light throwing P0455 code. Gas cap looked OK so I went right to replacing the evap control valve. Installed the Dorman replacement yesterday along with the inline fuel filter mod (discussed elsewhere on this forum). Today, SES light back in and now I'm getting P1446.

Any thoughts????

Thanks.

Jim
What's this inline fuel filter mod?

P1446
Possible causes
- EVAP control system pressure sensor and the circuit
- Blocked rubber tube to EVAP canister vent control valve
- EVAP canister vent control valve
- Water separator
- EVAP canister is saturated with water

I would double check the Evap valve.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's this inline fuel filter mod?

P1446
Possible causes
- EVAP control system pressure sensor and the circuit
- Blocked rubber tube to EVAP canister vent control valve
- EVAP canister vent control valve
- Water separator
- EVAP canister is saturated with water

I would double check the Evap valve.
This is the fuel filter mod I was talking about. It's on p2 of the sticky for how to replace the evap control valve. I had a ton of crud in my tube leading to the valve so I thought this would be a good preventative measure.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/attachments/titan-faq-howto-area/106358d1278526520-how-replace-14935-am60b-evap-vent-control-valve-assy-sticky-filter_001.jpg

Think this mod could be the culprit? Others reports good results. If not, what's the next best diagnostic step? I know you said to check the evap valve but in was brand new. Think I could have gotten crud in the new valve?

Thanks again. Big trip coming up in a month and I prefer not to run with the SES light on.

Jim

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah OK. Get the new and improve OEM vent valve and do away with the filter.
You can take the fuel filter off and see what happened.
Admittedly I totally cheaped out with the fuel filter mod. I just replaced the cats/manifolds so I was trying to make this fix as inexpensively as possible.

I had to cut the hose to get the filter to fit so I won't be able to reconnect it to back to the barb on the frame if I remove the filter. Any harm in running it with a short hose connected just to the value? If not, I'll pull the filter, clear the code, and see if the lights stays off.

Is the OE vent valve significantly better than the Dorman? I thought that concensus was that the Dorman was OK.

Thanks again! Much appreciated.

Jim

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Admittedly I totally cheaped out with the fuel filter mod. I just replaced the cats/manifolds so I was trying to make this fix as inexpensively as possible.

I had to cut the hose to get the filter to fit so I won't be able to reconnect it to back to the barb on the frame if I remove the filter. Any harm in running it with a short hose connected just to the value? If not, I'll pull the filter, clear the code, and see if the lights stays off.

Is the OE vent valve significantly better than the Dorman? I thought that concensus was that the Dorman was OK.

Thanks again! Much appreciated.

Jim
I would check the electrical connector as well to ensure it is properly connected to the evap valve. The new OEM valve is much better than the crappy old design or any of the aftermarket ones I have seen. It has a much better solenoid valve that resists gumming up. New design is part # 14935-JF00B. I installed mine over 3 years ago and never had an issue since.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would check the electrical connector as well to ensure it is properly connected to the evap valve. The new OEM valve is much better than the crappy old design or any of the aftermarket ones I have seen. It has a much better solenoid valve that resists gumming up. New design is part # 14935-JF00B. I installed mine over 3 years ago and never had an issue since.

Thanks. That new OE valve looks quite a bit different than the original value (and the Dorman replacement). I just removed the filter, rechecked the connections, and cleared the codes. If the SES light persists, next step will be to return the Dorman and go with that OE replacement.

Jim

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One additional question. I removed the fuel filter mod and reattached the longest piece of hose that I had to the evap vent. I ran it up towards the bed so the open end if about 9" above the valve, but because I cut out a section for the mod I didn't have enough hose to reach back to the original barb. Any reason why I can't drive like this for a few days? As I understand it, the barb connect just went into the frame and wasn't filtered anyway so I think that this should be OK.

Jim

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Any reason why I can't drive like this for a few days?
I would worry about foreign material exclusion with an open ended hose under the truck. Do you have a male-to-male hose barb which you can use to re-attach the piece of hose you cut off?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you fix this problem?
I removed the fuel filter mod and cleared the codes. So far, the SES light has remained off. I still haven't been able to reconnect the hose back to the barb in the frame so I've been only driving the truck sporadically. But the P1446 came on quickly after originally installing the filter mod so I am hoping that the fact that it has remained off for several days may be a good sign.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Any thoughts????

Thanks.

Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
I removed the fuel filter mod and cleared the codes. So far, the SES light has remained off. I still haven't been able to reconnect the hose back to the barb in the frame so I've been only driving the truck sporadically. But the P1446 came on quickly after originally installing the filter mod so I am hoping that the fact that it has remained off for several days may be a good sign.
I had both p0455 an p1446 when i changes my evap vent valve.. what i did was took off the charcoal evap box and took the hoses off blow some compressed air in there and some dust came off reset the engine light and it hasnt came back on ever since.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts