Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have a 2008 black Titan SE with 136,000 miles and the clear coat has come off the hood and the roof. In some places it's almost down to bare metal. The rest of the paint job looks really good with no door dings, only normal wear and tear for a 12 year old truck (rock chips, etc.). Mechanically it is sound as well (knock on wood). My questions are: has anyone repainted a portion or all of their truck? If so, how much did it cost? Is it worth it in the long run.?
Regarding after market wheels - I would also like to put wheels on it; nothing crazy huge, just different than factory. What kind of modifications if any are needed? I know nothing about switching to aftermarket wheels from factory.

Thanks,
Brett

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
You can get it repainted just on the hood and roof for $1000-1500, maybe less. Had my bed cover painted for $450 a couple of years ago.

As for wheels, check various sites online and they can tell you which wheels fit the Titan. If you mean tires, rather than wheels, you can go up to 275/70r18 on a 2008 (for sure on a 4wd, not 100% sure on 2wd), without rubbing. You could possibly go to 305/65/18, as well, but depending on what wheels you have, you might rub at the mud flaps. If you have 20" wheels, you can check a tire size calculator to see what the equivalent 20" tire sizes are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. If I just repaint the hood and roof, will it match the rest? Would it look odd to have brand new paint in those areas and 12 year old paint everywhere else? Though better than primer spots showing I guess.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Any body shop will tell you that no, it will not match. How far it is, depends on many factors. You'll want to bring it and ask how close they feel they can get. If the other parts of your truck do in fact have healthy paint and clear, a good shop should be able to get it pretty close to the point of someone walking by wouldnt notice at all. The other thing you should do before painting is have the rest of the truck paint corrected. This will bring back a lot of luster in the clear and remove most if not all of the swirl scratches on the paint. It will also give the body shop the best chance at matching the paint.
At the end of the day it's a 12 year old used truck with 136K miles. If you want a perfect paint job you'll have to break down and paint the whole thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts