Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've paint chipping issue with my 08 Titan. Whenever I wash my Truck, I find more spots on the Tail gate where paint is chipped off. Today i even found some spots where there is slight rust. It is white color Titan and these spots are like small rocks hit the Truck. But i don't hear or see anything hitting the truck on the tail gate.
Truck has 2000 miles on it and is 3 months old. I wonder if Nissan will cover this or not. Has anyone else seen this issue?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I saw the same thing on a new 08 that the guy had for only 2 weeks. The service manager at the dealership I was at called in a paint guy, and had this fellow back on the road in less than 2 hours.-this was just one spot though, on his fender. All under warranty-especially if there are no obvious signs that something hit it.

·
Premium Member
31,154 Posts
All titans have soft paint and it sucks big time !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
If you go to nissanusa.com and click on the 'For Owners' section you can read the warranty on the paint job. Bottom line - they should cover it.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
I have had a few white trucks over the years and saw spots like you mention. I thought they were rust spots from chips in the paint also. In my case it turned out not to be rust but was caused by brake dust. My paint guy was honest thank god. I paid a detail shop to take care of it for me. A little compound and buff job and all was right in the world. I am not sure if this is the case for you, but thought I would throw it out there. If you do have the same problem washing and waxing will do nothing to remove them. It really takes a decent buff job. I ended up doing this about once a year. All the best and good luck.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
luvbelly said:
I have had a few white trucks over the years and saw spots like you mention. I thought they were rust spots from chips in the paint also. In my case it turned out not to be rust but was caused by brake dust. My paint guy was honest thank god. I paid a detail shop to take care of it for me. A little compound and buff job and all was right in the world. I am not sure if this is the case for you, but thought I would throw it out there. If you do have the same problem washing and waxing will do nothing to remove them. It really takes a decent buff job. I ended up doing this about once a year. All the best and good luck.
Yep - especially on white vehicles 'fall out', as we called it, happens when brake dust sticks to the wax and rusts. It actually happens on all colors but it is only noticeable on a white paint. 10 years ago we had to use a clay bar and a lot of elbow grease and then had to re-wax and polish the area again.

That said, fall out on a vehicle with only 2000 miles is a little unbelievable.

·
Registered
201 Posts
my 08 has very soft paint. I have scratches all over it and it lives a mostly pampered life.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Do you drive with the tailgate open? If you do rocks flung up from the rear wheels will chip up the bottom of the tailgate.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No i don't drive with the Tail gate open. I stopped by the stealership today and service manager looked at it. He said he can't do anything about the chips but small rust spots, he will get them buffed out, so i'll drop it tomorrow. I think i know where the chips are coming from. It is the landscaping service at work blowing the parking lot.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sounds like the chips are not a factory defect. A good paint test to do is take a piece of masking tape and apply over the affected area, lift the tape after a few minutes and if it pulls more paint chips off with the tape then there may be a problem, have it inspected at your local dealer, it's probally due to "Paint Thickness". Another good test, if you suspect a problem, is take your truck to a good body shop and they can measure the thickness of your paint in the affected area with a special tool to see if it's too thin.

·
Registered
383 Posts
guls said:
No i don't drive with the Tail gate open. I stopped by the stealership today and service manager looked at it. He said he can't do anything about the chips but small rust spots, he will get them buffed out, so i'll drop it tomorrow. I think i know where the chips are coming from. It is the landscaping service at work blowing the parking lot.
Oh man I'd be on the look out for those guys. Video them working around your truck and go after the company for damage!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got it taken care of today, They touhed up the chipping and buffed rest of it up, can't see anything now, also reported the landscaping crew blowing to HR too today.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I was wondering about the quality of the paint on my 08. The truck is babied to death, parked in BFE always. Yet is seems like if you breathe on the truck the clear coat scratches. WTF!!!! My 10 year old ford didnt look as bad as this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts