Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found the rims that I want but they are not available in black. Would I be better off having them powdercoated or could I paint them myself using the correct paint? I plan on just doing the center of the rim and leaving the lip alone. Has anyone done this. Sorry if this has been asked, I got lazy and didn't look first.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Powdercoating is going to be a stronger, longer lasting solution. From what I understand though, it can be expensive. If you purchase some good quality paint and prep the wheels properly, you can have a quality paintjob that should last for a while. They sell paint specifically for wheels at most part stores and hardware stores. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Powdercoat them if you can get it done at a shop that you know will do it CORRECTLY for a good price, because powdercoat is more durable than paint. I would venture say you shouldn't pay more than like $50 per wheel to get them blasted and PC'ed. But if you can't get it done, paint should hold up fine as long as it's done right.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'll be painting my wheels in 2 weeks myself after I get back from my vacation.

Basic overview of the steps to paint:

1. Sand the wheel down to scruff off the clear coat to provide a good surface for adhesion.
2. Tape off the area you don't want to paint (ie the tire if it is still mounted)
3. Spray very light coats of the primer
4. Wait for the paint to dry in between coats
5. Spray very light coats of the paint
6. Let the paint dry.
7. Spray the clear coat to make your paint a little glossy if so desired (will also add an extra layer of protection to your paint)
8. Let the paint dry thoroughly.

The key part is in the prep. You want to make sure you take off all the tar, greese and other stuff on the wheel before you paint. So giving it a really good scrub down followed up with the sanding will save you a lot of headaches of paint peeling.

I'll be using the Duplicolor Wheel Paint in black for my application.

But as said above, if you already have the wheels without tires, just go get them powdercoated. The finish will be so much better. But if it is just temp wheels and you don't care too much, then painting will do just fine as well.

For my situation, if I was going to get my wheels powdercoated, they were going to have to strip the factory paint and sandblast them anyways. So a few $ on paint for me will be a good experiment as to how my finish will come out.

Last tip, try to paint in an area that has the least amount of dust particles floating around. The easiest way to mess up all of your hard work is having little pieces of dust and other stuff landing on your paint job. But at the same time, make sure your work area is plenty ventilated.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
How long do you think this would take FourDoor? I'm thinking about doing the same myself on my ugly XE wheelies.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
very informative

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.