Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Titan lovers,

Just bought a new battery yesterday for my 04 LE, my previous 2007-dated battery checked out fine but the 'Cold Crank' rating was down from 600 something to 400 something. I live in Utah and the mornings are cold right now.

Figured something was draining the power (the repair shop tested and said it was not the stock amp but something else they couldnt find). The LE has tons of features that check on when the key is turned so I'm lost..

I just dont want my new one to drain out, if anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

*RV style ON/OFF switch? , Extra battery?

:hi:

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Connect DMM set to amps in series between negative battery cable and negative battery terminal, let truck sit with IGN off for an hour to make sure all the computers went to sleep, read current on meter. If current is excessive, start pulling fuses to find offending circuit.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Do you tend to do alot of short trips when you drive your truck. By short trips I mean 5 min, ten min short drives? If so, it could be an issue of the battery not getting enough time to charge.

I ran into that probelm because i work under 10 min from home. Every time i start the truck it uses up battery power but if it is not running long enough, the battery power slowly gets depleted over time. I noticed that after I began to go for longer drives, my battery probelm went away.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yesterday, I tried to start my 04 Titan but the battery was dead. When I tried to remove the key, the ignition switch would not release the key or let me shift the transmission lever. When I placed jumper cables on the battery, the truck started, everything worked. When I removed the jumper cables (after starting it), I ran the truck for about 10 minutes and turned off the key, the same thing happened (key locked in ignition). then I jumped it off again, but I didn't start it. The key was finally released. So far 3 batteries used in almost 7 years.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Connect DMM set to amps in series between negative battery cable and negative battery terminal, let truck sit with IGN off for an hour to make sure all the computers went to sleep, read current on meter. If current is excessive, start pulling fuses to find offending circuit.
My Titan tends to sit for a couple weeks unused since I have a more economical daily driver and often the battery is dead when I go to use the truck. I did the suggested test with my DMM and read about 120ma after everything has turned off. Is this excessive? I can't find a specification in the factory manual, only posts here and there saying it should only be around 35ma. Has anyone gotten a different number with their Titan?

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
My Titan tends to sit for a couple weeks unused since I have a more economical daily driver and often the battery is dead when I go to use the truck. I did the suggested test with my DMM and read about 120ma after everything has turned off. Is this excessive? I can't find a specification in the factory manual, only posts here and there saying it should only be around 35ma. Has anyone gotten a different number with their Titan?
Honeykeeper measured that it dropped to 20ma thirty-minutes after IGN off. If you don't wait that long, it will read higher cuz it ain't sleeping yet.

·
Registered
202 Posts

Pardon my stupidity but when you say in series, do you mean disconnect the negative from the battery and put the DMM between the two?

·
Registered
10 Posts
this happens on my 04 titan also everyone say its my audio system or alternator. they all say invest in a optima battery and that will fix the prob. havent had the funds to do anything yet

1 - 10 of 10 Posts