Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never felt that the parking brake do much when I park on the slope. I read the manual and it says with 44 lb of force, I should get 3-4 clicks. I pressed my parking brake all the way down and counted a total of 11 clicks. Is it normal, or should I have it checked?

thx

·
Registered
294 Posts
amati5 said:
I never felt that the parking brake do much when I park on the slope. I read the manual and it says with 44 lb of force, I should get 3-4 clicks. I pressed my parking brake all the way down and counted a total of 11 clicks. Is it normal, or should I have it checked?
It's normal amati51. You have to be able to push it all the way down as that's how the tension from the parking brake is released. 3-6 clicks should be enough to put tension on the rotors to keep the vehicle from moving though (if you have a heavy load you may need more).

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks karl,

Many times I parked on the slope and press the parking brake down to almost the bottom (may be 9-10 clicks) and when lifted my foot off, the truck still moved. And when I shifted from P to D, the trans made a loud noise because I think the truck still put lots of weights on the gear.

This is my first truck so may be I am not used to these noises.

·
Registered
294 Posts
amati5 said:
Thanks karl,

Many times I parked on the slope and press the parking brake down to almost the bottom (may be 9-10 clicks) and when lifted my foot off, the truck still moved. And when I shifted from P to D, the trans made a loud noise because I think the truck still put lots of weights on the gear.

Pressing that far down should definitely hold the truck. You may want to have them look at the parking brake on your first oil change just to make sure everything is working as it should (or sooner if it bothers you).

Karl

·
Registered
41 Posts
The best way to set the parking brake may be to set the brake while the truck is in neutral. That way the weight is on the wheels/brakes and not on the transmission. Of course, put it in Park after the brakes are set.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I am taking it in Monday (for the oil change also) and I'll try to put it in neutral before setting the brake.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Saw that this was a while ago, and I wanted to check to find out what the result was at the dealer. Did your parking brake need an adjustment? I'm curious because I have the same problem. Whenever I use the parking brake, it goes all the way to the floor, and if I park on an incline, I do get a some rollback. It seems as if the brake may need some tightening.

·
Registered
109 Posts
neutral first

amati5 said:
Thanks karl,

On any automatic you should go to neutral first, give a little up and down on the brake to take the pressure off the drivetrain, engage parking brake then shift to park.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MD_Canteen_Titan said:
Saw that this was a while ago, and I wanted to check to find out what the result was at the dealer. Did your parking brake need an adjustment? I'm curious because I have the same problem. Whenever I use the parking brake, it goes all the way to the floor, and if I park on an incline, I do get a some rollback. It seems as if the brake may need some tightening.
Sorry for the delay, I didn't see your post. Dealer said it's normal. However, I also had the mushy brake pepal (not parking brake) and I did a tip someone posted on another thread (ignition off, press hard on the brake pedal a few time) and my brake is much better now. I haven't tested on the parking brake but I think this will help.

Like mentioned above, set to neutral first helps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I took it in and had the brake adjusted. Much better now. Before, I was able to push it all the way to the floor and still have quite a bit of roll, now there is less roll. It feels like it's actually engaged now, where it was questionable before.

amati5 said:
Sorry for the delay, I didn't see your post. Dealer said it's normal. However, I also had the mushy brake pepal (not parking brake) and I did a tip someone posted on another thread (ignition off, press hard on the brake pedal a few time) and my brake is much better now. I haven't tested on the parking brake but I think this will help.

Like mentioned above, set to neutral first helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts