Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have several problems not sure if they're related. I have a 2004 Nissan Titan. My parking, tail, and brake lights don't turn on, but they flash when I lock or unlock my truck, the turn signals work, and the hazards work. Also the brake switch that unlocks the shifter doesn't unlock my shifter. Any advice?

·
Registered
62 Posts
same thing happened to me.
the exhaust melted a wire harness just aft of the muffler on the frame rail.
if you need to move the truck, there is a small plastic clip/cover next to the shift lever you can remove and by inserting a flat head screwdriver into the hole, you can disengage the shift lever lock.

·
Registered
511 Posts
What have you tried? The only way I know how to diagnose a situation like yours is to go to each switch that controls the device not working and check the power feed to the switch first. No power, then the problem is upstream...break in the line, fuse, relay or some other source. Are those OK?....should have power. With power, check the switch for open/close. Switch OK?....then start tracing wires from switch to socket looking for breaks or grounds.
Get a multimeter and learn to use it with the wiring diagram for your year truck. If you can locate someone who actually is good at tracing electric issues, they'll likely charge you a hundred bucks an hour with a one-hour minimum. Someone who is not good, will charge the same, but cost you twice as much.

·
Registered
62 Posts
still no luck still trying to figure it out
The wire harness on the frame rail wasn't damaged/melted in the aft right hand wheel well?
My wheel speed sensor was also melted on the aft right wheel assembly.
i wonder if one of the connectors was damaged by a rock or something.
start inspecting the whole harness. I'd start in the back and work my way fwd.
the black plastic tubing should show signs of damage.
good luck.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
There is also a great big connector behind the right front wheel. There must be several dozen wires that go into it. Some of these are the ones that run to back that right side frame rail and are the ones prone to being melted by rotted exhaust piping.

How do I know? I hit a freaking seat out of a boat. Someone didn't strap it down and it was laying on the road. I somehow hit it, it flung up and cracked the connector. It came apart and the truck shut down immediately. Fortunately, I was able to plug it back in and zip tie/silicon it. Has been doing well for about 12 years now like that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts