Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone noticed that when going around 45- 50 mph if you put the peddle to the floor the trans seems to kickdown one gear to far, my titan kicks down to where the motor is screaming at a very high rpm and it seems like the truck is just reving high and not moving then it finaly shifts up a gear and takes off, this may be normal in these trucks as ive never seen a perfect auto trans although if my truck didnt do this i would have to say this one was almost perfect.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Slick,

It's funny that you mention this. It does seem like it does keep revving and there isn't much seat of the pants, back into your seat feeling when you hit the higher rpms but as soon as it shifts into the next gear, it pushes you back into the seat again even though the rpms drop down quite a bit. I don't think it is a problem though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dman said:
Slick,

It's funny that you mention this. It does seem like it does keep revving and there isn't much seat of the pants, back into your seat feeling when you hit the higher rpms but as soon as it shifts into the next gear, it pushes you back into the seat again even though the rpms drop down quite a bit. I don't think it is a problem though.
dman do you have the off road or big tow im wondering if the trans was tuned for stock gears and offroad or big tow is where the problem lies maybe the shift points and kickdown points were mistakingly set the same.

·
Registered
662 Posts
slick said:
dman do you have the off road or big tow im wondering if the trans was tuned for stock gears and offroad or big tow is where the problem lies maybe the shift points and kickdown points were mistakingly set the same.
I only have the big tow on my SE 2wd CC. I just kind of wrote it off as a lack of torque at the higher rpms as torque decreases at a certain rpm. When it shifts to a higher gear with a lower rpm, the torque then increases. After all, torque is what really pushes you back into the seat.

·
Registered
497 Posts
it may be that because of the lower gearing with the big tow, the tranny needs to hit a lower gear to get rpm's high enough for the next to keep acceleration time from 50-70 similar if not the same in both trucks. im still breaking my beast in slowly so dont know how long it revs, if it does it for just a split seconed then its definatly a design flaw, if it holds the lower gear for a seconed or 2 then it was incorperated in the design.

·
Registered
662 Posts
it holds the gear until close to redline and then shifts. It just seems that after the shift into the higher gear, that is where the real power begins and not in the lower gear at higher rpms.

·
Registered
497 Posts
yep, i know that. re-read my post. ill put it another way, how many rpms does it say in the lower gear screaming?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Everything I'm reading here sounds normal to me. Keep in mind this is a 5-speed automatic and a relatively high revving V8. In the 40 to 50 mile range if you mash the pedal to the floor the truck has the choice of more gears to shift down into, because it is a 5-speed not a 4.

Your foot all the way to the floor tells it via fly-by-wire you want everything it has got, so it downshifts to the lowest possible gear. Once it upshifts and the revs drop the V8 is then running in the rev range it was designed to provide maximum power in, and you feel it. If you were to press the pedal down slightly less than all the way to the floor it will not downshift as many gears and you will not experience that higher part of the rev range where you may not want to be.

The manual shift automatic 5-speed in the Titan is one of the most sophisticated automatic transmissions you will run into. These extra downshifts do not have anything to do with the gear ratios in the rear diff, it will downshift to the lowest possible gear regardless what the final drive ratio is because you told it to do so when you mashed the pedal.

Keep in mind this may be the first vehicle you have driven that does not have a throttle cable. The electronic fly-by-wire system is way faster and way smarter than any cable system in the world. The truck is analyzing what you want it to do all the time based upon the input you are providing by way of that gas pedal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quad T said:
Everything I'm reading here sounds normal to me. Keep in mind this is a 5-speed automatic and a relatively high revving V8. In the 40 to 50 mile range if you mash the pedal to the floor the truck has the choice of more gears to shift down into, because it is a 5-speed not a 4.

Your foot all the way to the floor tells it via fly-by-wire you want everything it has got, so it downshifts to the lowest possible gear. Once it upshifts and the revs drop the V8 is then running in the rev range it was designed to provide maximum power in, and you feel it. If you were to press the pedal down slightly less than all the way to the floor it will not downshift as many gears and you will not experience that higher part of the rev range where you may not want to be.

The manual shift automatic 5-speed in the Titan is one of the most sophisticated automatic transmissions you will run into. These extra downshifts do not have anything to do with the gear ratios in the rear diff, it will downshift to the lowest possible gear regardless what the final drive ratio is because you told it to do so when you mashed the pedal.

Keep in mind this may be the first vehicle you have driven that does not have a throttle cable. The electronic fly-by-wire system is way faster and way smarter than any cable system in the world. The truck is analyzing what you want it to do all the time based upon the input you are providing by way of that gas pedal.
hey quad i agree but even if i go 2/3 to 3/4 down it does the same thing ive tried it different was with the same result it starts the gear at about 5400 and shifts at 6000 but doesnt seem to have power it feels like if it only kicked down one less gear it would be perfect.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I'm not sure I understand your reply. My only thoughts are try not pushing the pedal to the floor, or, shift manually and get just exactly what you want.

I'm just amazed at how good the tranny is. I have never driven an automatic that would allow the engine to bounce off the rev limiter without shifting to the next gear. But when I hammered the Titan it did exactly what I told it to do and the onboard computer did not kick in and think for me.

Explain what you ment when you said "even if i go 2/3 to 3/4 down it does the same thing..."

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
quad T, you are absolutely correct. i have learned that when driving the Titan you cannot mash on the gas like most because of its design and power. i press the gas lightly to initially accelerate then mash it and the results have been pretty scary, in terms of speed. the titan launches like no other truck i have ever driven. unlike a dodge or some other domestic truck you do not have to mash the gas. the fly by wire is VERY responsive, so it must be treated differently. with enough time in the saddle everyone will understand the mannerisms of the titan. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
662 Posts
quad t,

I fully agree with your reasoning...it makes perfect sense. I was only saying that I experienced the same thing. I definitely don't think there is anything wrong with the transmission doing this. My old Tundra was also drive by wire although it was a bit different. The only thing that is really hard to get used to is how sensitive the gas pedal is...just hitting a small bump can cause you to give it more gas.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
So very very true Prometheus.

I am the kind of person who just hates automatics, and I have not owned one for more than 10 years. I think my 6-speed 9,000 rpm toy is just about the perfect mode of transportation. However, I need a tow vehicle and an automatic is the best way to go in a 1/2 ton truck in my opinion. When I realized Nissan was coming to market with a manual shift automatic 5-speed I was sold. The idea that it is fly-by-wire just makes my jaw drop. The fact that it blips the throttle for downshifts is just amazing.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
dman, I hear ya, and I would be a lying sack of, well you know, if I were to say that I did not experience the very same thing on my first test drive.

The more I drove it the more I came to realize just how smart it is. The on board brain is analyzing my right foot more than I am.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The only time that I put the pedal to the metal is from a dead stop. I have found much more control of the power by being moderate. Goose it lightly and when it finds its legs NAIL IT!!!

·
Registered
497 Posts
slick said:
hey quad i agree but even if i go 2/3 to 3/4 down it does the same thing ive tried it different was with the same result it starts the gear at about 5400 and shifts at 6000 but doesnt seem to have power it feels like if it only kicked down one less gear it would be perfect.
its because your computer is programed with certain maps determining load conditions and shift points. when you give it 2/3rds+ trottle it automatically follows these maps shifting at supposedly optimum points. anyone without a big-tow or off-road package experience this?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts