Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04 4WD w/ 100K miles stumbles hard when accelerating to pass. Won't do it when you gradually increase speed, only when passing. Doesn't happen in city driving situations, only on the highway.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
clean your air filter. it could be many of things but since i know nothing about YOUR truck and what you have done to it or what kind of matainence you have done ill leave it at that for now

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Wildmike said:
8 posts in almost three years and 100k miles.

Fuel filter?? Fuel injectors dirty??
Haha i xhecked his previous posts as well to see if he just signed up too. problem at high loads so process of elimination. start with fuel air restrictions first

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The truck had regular maintenance; 3 to 5 k between oil and filter changes. Trucks due for a service now, but I'll change the air filter anyway.

Truck started slipping today, probably a tranny problem. Just haven't seen any body talking about this type of issue with the truck.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Hmm having heard of a lot of tranny problems but be carfull. It sounds wierd but on older vehicles sometimes if you put a TON of miles in on w/o ever changing the tranny fluid , and then decide to change it , it could start slipping. The clutch plates basically get warn down from dirty oil so bad that the "Grit" in the oil is actually helping it work. put in the fresh slick oil and problems start.
I dont mean your truck is old because 04 is not old, thats just something ive seen on other vehicles

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Yeah, I experienced this once. Gal passed me on a two lane, cut me short, then made a left turn about 15 seconds later. I got pissed and mashed the gas pedal to the floor to pass her on the right and make some noise. Transmission kind of hung like it came out of gear but it couldn't decide on any gear to shift into. And when it did, it wouldn't shift out. It was like the management system had to download a "code" that has never been used before and it didn't want to get rid of it once it experienced it.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
At 100k you should have the plugs changed...they can cause an intermittent miss which feels like a tranny slipping, along with low power...

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
You may have the infamous '04 hesitation'. My truck will do it, and mine is maintained to spec. It isn't maintenance-related. I think it's a design flaw in the engine management software.

Where it's worst is when towing. I was stuck behind some gal doing -get this- 35 on the freeway! I'd had my foot off the gas, waiting for a hole in traffic. Finally I get one, signal, slam the gas, and pull out.

Nothing. We actually start SLOWING DOWN.

For what felt like a full second.

Then the engine and transmission dance back and forth for another half second, THEN I get power. The roar of the Titan was drowned out in all the horn-honking.

Since then, I've learned to keep one foot on the brake and have the gas part way down if I'm going to need instant response again.

If somebody else has a remedy for this, let me know. I'd be glad to have it over with. I have too darn many gray hairs already.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts