Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried a recent "performance chip" in their Titan? I see some old posts about this subject but nothing recent. I know technology has advanced a lot over the years. I was curious because my brother bought one for his truck and he actually gained 2 MPG. (I know this because I drive his truck for work some times) I purchased the Thorton stage 3 performance chip and have ran it for 600 miles now and haven't seen any change. Just wondering if anyone else has tried any of the chips and had any luck with them?

·
Registered
298 Posts
You lost me at "performance chip" Nobody uses performance chips because as you've experienced, they do nothing, they dont work. Get your money back and get that thing out of there before you destroy your truck

·
Registered
130 Posts
"Canned" tunes don't do too much. You need to do a few back and forths with a custom tuner by logging a few runs then getting the tune tweaked and sent back to you.

·
Registered
2020 Titan Pro4X
447 Posts
You lost me at "performance chip" Nobody uses performance chips because as you've experienced, they do nothing, they dont work. Get your money back and get that thing out of there before you destroy your truck
Yeah - I agree. I think the throttle tools like the Pedal Commander are the best bang for the buck now - for the newer models, 2nd gen trucks.

Reactions: Huukt in FL.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
^^^^This. Nothing more than snake oil.

I always ask...What performance do you want that you don't already have?

Truck easily gets between 20 and 23 mpgs, tows 9400 lbs and has 400 hp.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mostly just looking for better gas mileaage. im not sure how you are getting 20 - 23 mpg but i would love to know. do you ever driver over 55 mph? lol
I avg 16.9 mpg with mine and do mostly highway driving.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
2,484 Posts
i noticed if i drive in the slow lane and do 70, i get 20-21

·
Registered
819 Posts
mostly just looking for better gas mileaage. im not sure how you are getting 20 - 23 mpg but i would love to know. do you ever driver over 55 mph? lol
My thoughts exactly 🤣. Oh the internet!! Must be a 2WD Frontier being referenced

·
Registered
240 Posts
I used to get them for my Mustangs, but that was in combination with intake and exhaust.

Honestly looking back now, the biggest change I could notice was the sharpness and quicker throttle response and much better sound from the axle backs. I’m sure that just led to a placebo effect of justifying my purchase by thinking the car was noticeably faster.

Maybe I’m just getting old :)

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
You just have to be nice and use the cruise. I routinely drive 65 mph and get 20 mpg+.

This is series of photos I took during a ~180 mile road trip 6 months ago with the cruise set at 65 mph for the trip with the exception of a few towns I had to slow down through along the way. The gas mileage update photo was a pee stop at the gas station along the way. The last photo is when I reached my destination. The last 70 miles of the trip I had a few hills to go up which is why I think the mpg dropped.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts