Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone here knows the normal price of a personal trainer. I go twice a week for $35 each session. A few people have told me that's way to much. Anyone know if that's a fair price?

·
Super Moderator
159,619 Posts
I'm sure you could find less expensive, and I'm sure you could find more. That seems pretty normal to me. The lovely Mrs. Carbeaux did a few sessions. I think it ran her a hundred bucks. :dunno:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Carbeaux said:
I'm sure you could find less expensive, and I'm sure you could find more. That seems pretty normal to me. The lovely Mrs. Carbeaux did a few sessions. I think it ran her a hundred bucks. :dunno:
lol what the hell was she getting for $100

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Try asking around a local college. My classmates have been helping me keep in shape the last 2 years so I can keep up with them in nursing school. It really helped to have motivation - and college students are usually happy to help you out for free.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BRACEYOSELF777 said:
I can help you out...:hat: ....well...not really....I have a gym buddy to spot me. He use to work at LA Fitness so he knows all the routines the trainers do. Save me some bucks for gas.
I work out on my own 3 or 4 times a week in addition to my 2 times a week training. I just feel like I work out harded when my trainer is there.
As far as going to a college I think I'd feel a little weird walking in looking for people to help me :)

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I know what you mean - I felt funny at first going back to college - especially the first few weeks. Most everyone is about half my age, and I was one of the only guys in the Nursing program. However; once I got to know folks it was a great learning experience. My wife is simply amazed at all the new things I learned from my classmates in the last 2 years. I will be finished with school in 6 days and thinking how much I will miss the fun and excitement. It just goes to show that you are never too old to learn if your heart is in it.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Man, 280 bucks a month for motivation!!!

I think I could find my own motivation for that price!

Do you have any friends that workout? Maybe you could workout together.

·
Super Moderator
159,619 Posts
NissanChick said:
lol what the hell was she getting for $100
Well, personal training? :lol: I guess my post wasn't very clear. Three sessions were a hundred bucks. 33 bucks a session. :D

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Carbeaux said:
Well, personal training? :lol: I guess my post wasn't very clear. Three sessions were a hundred bucks. 33 bucks a session. :D
I thought you said $100 a session that's why I was wondering what she was getting for $100 lol

As far as friends everyone is lazy and always has some excuse not to go. Plus I don't like to rely on others for things I want to do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
NissanChick said:
Just wondering if anyone here knows the normal price of a personal trainer. I go twice a week for $35 each session. A few people have told me that's way to much. Anyone know if that's a fair price?
24 hour fitness has a promotion 5 sessions for $99.it will run till the end of may.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
There's a personal trainer on the other forum I trust. PM me for his contact information.

My ex-wife was a personal trainer and her sessions were $50 to $75 per session.

1. You should have a desired goal in mind and if the trainer doesn't have a program that can show results, get another one.
2. You should have an assessment done regarding your diet, your current health and ability to exercise. Weights without diet is a lost cause...
3. Most exercise first requires core strengthening before you hit machines, weights, etc. Get a stability ball or similar and become proficient with it before you increase your program.

Your personal trainer should be certified, understand body mechanics/range of motion, and when you are in the gym, be totally focused on you.

Yes, you can find people less expensive and I am not saying that people who know what they are doing automatically cost more. (I've seen trainers that couldn't find the gym door.)

I am saying that your first priority is items 1-3 and then determining how the trainer addresses those and ultimately, how they ween you off of them and become self-sufficient to do your own program. (The ultimate goal is for you to do this by yourself.):cheers:

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
NissanChick said:
I work out on my own 3 or 4 times a week in addition to my 2 times a week training. I just feel like I work out harded when my trainer is there.
As far as going to a college I think I'd feel a little weird walking in looking for people to help me :)
Well...the reason why it feels like you work out harder with a trainer is because the person is there to maximize your work-out. On my cardio days and calastenics...I do on my own....I alternate depending on recovery.....but when doing weights it always better to have someone spot you. I found out that working out by yourself sucks....thats why I joined a gym.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
There is/was a good site out there called ExRx.net that is basically a personal trainer. Maybe check it out.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kronos1965 said:
There's a personal trainer on the other forum I trust. PM me for his contact information.

My ex-wife was a personal trainer and her sessions were $50 to $75 per session.

1. You should have a desired goal in mind and if the trainer doesn't have a program that can show results, get another one.
2. You should have an assessment done regarding your diet, your current health and ability to exercise. Weights without diet is a lost cause...
3. Most exercise first requires core strengthening before you hit machines, weights, etc. Get a stability ball or similar and become proficient with it before you increase your program.

Your personal trainer should be certified, understand body mechanics/range of motion, and when you are in the gym, be totally focused on you.

Yes, you can find people less expensive and I am not saying that people who know what they are doing automatically cost more. (I've seen trainers that couldn't find the gym door.)

I am saying that your first priority is items 1-3 and then determining how the trainer addresses those and ultimately, how they ween you off of them and become self-sufficient to do your own program. (The ultimate goal is for you to do this by yourself.):cheers:
Great response thank you so much. Now you're making me second guess myself. I do have a good diet, I accomplished that then moved on to working out. I'm not out of shape but could be in a lot better shape. Through reading responses I feel like I've gotten a good deal with the pricing. But, my trainer just seems like he's out to make money. I usually do 20 mins cardio, train, then 20 mins cardio. There have been times where I've done 35 mins cardio to start, and he makes it like he's trying to train me harder but in reality it's because he's trying to sell his sessions to someone else and he's busy lol When I leave I feel like I'm going to puke lol He seems to push me as if I'm someone that's been in the gym for a year, and I can't say anything about it or he thinks I'm complaining lol I love to work out I go 5 or 6 times a week, so it's not like it's an excuse I just think my goal and his goal are totally different. I'm thinking of telling him I just want to cut down to once a week but I'm to scared to tell him lol Anyone want to tell him for me :) I also feel that through my training with him I could go on my own and be succesful. Decisions, decisions lol

About the 24 hour fitness I don't have one in my area but thanks for the thought :) I go to express fitness I think it is a part of 24 hour fitness.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BRACEYOSELF777 said:
Well...the reason why it feels like you work out harder with a trainer is because the person is there to maximize your work-out. On my cardio days and calastenics...I do on my own....I alternate depending on recovery.....but when doing weights it always better to have someone spot you. I found out that working out by yourself sucks....thats why I joined a gym.
You can come be my gym partner and save me some money lol

And thank you FLFINS I'm going to look at that right now :)

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
NissanChick said:
You can come be my gym partner and save me some money lol
Will you pay for my plane ticket for 5 or 6 times a week?? Well, anyways, how the hell do you make it to the gym 5 or 6 times a week? I go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week staying for at least 2 hours. How long are your work outs? I would be in pain if went to the gym 5 times a week doing my current work out.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BRACEYOSELF777 said:
Will you pay for my plane ticket for 5 or 6 times a week?? Well, anyways, how the hell do you make it to the gym 5 or 6 times a week? I go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week staying for at least 2 hours. How long are your work outs? I would be in pain if went to the gym 5 times a week doing my current work out.
If I win the lottery I might do that lol I only train twice a week, the rest I just do 30-45 mins on the eliptical(sp) then I might do some check or arms. I only go that much because I'm scared if I slack I'll stop going :)

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
NissanChick said:
Great response thank you so much. Now you're making me second guess myself. I do have a good diet, I accomplished that then moved on to working out. I'm not out of shape but could be in a lot better shape. Through reading responses I feel like I've gotten a good deal with the pricing. But, my trainer just seems like he's out to make money. I usually do 20 mins cardio, train, then 20 mins cardio. There have been times where I've done 35 mins cardio to start, and he makes it like he's trying to train me harder but in reality it's because he's trying to sell his sessions to someone else and he's busy lol When I leave I feel like I'm going to puke lol He seems to push me as if I'm someone that's been in the gym for a year, and I can't say anything about it or he thinks I'm complaining lol I love to work out I go 5 or 6 times a week, so it's not like it's an excuse I just think my goal and his goal are totally different. I'm thinking of telling him I just want to cut down to once a week but I'm to scared to tell him lol Anyone want to tell him for me :) I also feel that through my training with him I could go on my own and be succesful. Decisions, decisions lol

About the 24 hour fitness I don't have one in my area but thanks for the thought :) I go to express fitness I think it is a part of 24 hour fitness.
Train smarter, not harder and you should never feel guilty or afraid to speak up.

A good personal trainer motivates appropriately using goals, positive reinforcement, give you full attention, and a plan...not intimidation.

You feel guilty, you'll quit after awhile.

There is unfortunately, a lot of incentive to do what he is doing as it is hard work to get a client and that money is split sometimes between the trainer and the gym unless he works directly for them. In either case, they sell sessions as opposed to results and until he/anyone can show you a plan, I would feel comfortable walking away.

My favorite tactic that I've seen is the one in which a trainer takes a client through a variety of exercises to show the client how truly "out of shape" they are and after the immediate burn and exhaustion, the client signs up for a million sessions to "get into shape".

I won't even comment on the trainers that spend their time hitting on the ladies while someone is incorrectly doing an exercise and is in the process of getting hurt.

Give me his number and I'll be glad to drop him for you...:fart:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts