Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was dark by the time I was finished installing them and cleaning them up a bit so the pics aren't the best. I was happy with the outcome for my first paint job.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I got them from a local truck shop and painted them myself. Here is a couple shots I took today.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
great job on the paint job. Turcks looks real nice

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The painting was a bit of a learning experience. After it was all said and done its really not that hard to do.

·
Registered
250 Posts
titanmike said:
The painting was a bit of a learning experience. After it was all said and done its really not that hard to do.
They look great. How about sharing the steps you took and what you learned for us that might be considering this. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm working right now, i'll post step by step how I did it later when i get home.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I first went to Harbor Freight and bought a spray gun for $15

I already have an air compressor which you will also need. I went to a local automotive paint supply store and bought the paint supplies which consist of:

1 pint of base coat KY2 pewter metallic
1 quart of reducer
1 quart of clear coat
1 pint of activater (hardener)
The above supplies cost $75

I mixed the base coat with the reducer 1:1. I sprayed the first coat of base on and let it dry for 15 minutes and repeated that process 4 times.

The next day I mixed the clear coat with the activater 4 parts clear to 1 part activater. I sprayed the first coat clear and waited about 15 mintues between coats. I think I sprayed 5 coats of clear. I was told to be generous with the clear but don't spray too heavy to where it runs.

After letting them dry for 2 days (the paint spec sheet said wait 16 to 24 hours) I wet sanded them with 1000 grit sand paper. I was told to use 1200 but the auto parts store only had 1000 and 2000. The 1000 worked out fine for me. At first I was hesitant to use much pressure sanding as to not go through the clear coat but I found out that some decent pressure provided the best results. After sanding them and getting them nice and smooth they look very dull. At this point you need to use an orbital buffer and a rubbing compound to get the scratches out from the sanding. At first I was also not using much pressure but found out that I was being to easy on them. The directions stated to use firm pressure but don't stay in one area for a long time. You then follow this stage with the buffer and a polishing compound. After that was done they were installed. I washed and waxed the after that and the pics are above.

·
Registered
249 Posts
*VERY* nice.

I just sent mine to my buddy (along with a super-secret hood mod - I'll post pix of my own when it's all done) to have them color-matched to my MJ Blue '07 - if I had known *anything* about painting, I would have attempted this myself - you've made it look easy!

Q: How did you suspend them - or did you just spray the outsides?

Great job! They look perfect! And, with that many coats of paint and clear, they'll hopefully last through alot of the rock-chips!!!

Psychlone

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just made a ghetto spray booth in my garage that consisted of a couple saw horses and a sheet of plywood. There was some **** that got in them in the clear coat process but they all came out when i sanded them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts