Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody with experience with Pioneer’s Premier Subs? I am patartically looking at the TS-W2501D2/D4’s http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069929_376510832,00.html.

These look to be very well put together and I was impressed by some of the specs. Looks like you can get away with 0.35 cu ft of enclosure space per sub and the maximum is 0.7 cu ft. This leads me to believe that 0.5 would be a great compromise. These subs are also stated to have 800 Watts Nominal Power Handling with a mounting depth of only 6.67 inches. How does that mounting depth compare to some of you who have subs up firing in your CC?

I haven’t heard these yet but have a date to get up with an installer here in town this weekend to get my ears on them. If anyone has heard these in real life, please chime in.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,015 Posts
ecrawford said:
Anybody with experience with Pioneer’s Premier Subs? I am patartically looking at the TS-W2501D2/D4’s http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069929_376510832,00.html.

These look to be very well put together and I was impressed by some of the specs. Looks like you can get away with 0.35 cu ft of enclosure space per sub and the maximum is 0.7 cu ft. This leads me to believe that 0.5 would be a great compromise. These subs are also stated to have 800 Watts Nominal Power Handling with a mounting depth of only 6.67 inches. How does that mounting depth compare to some of you who have subs up firing in your CC?

I haven’t heard these yet but have a date to get up with an installer here in town this weekend to get my ears on them. If anyone has heard these in real life, please chime in.
They are O.K. at best. Sloppy . And overpriced. Pioneer is not a sub company by any means.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But they are the 2006 SPL champions? What is that exactly?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,015 Posts
ecrawford said:
But they are the 2006 SPL champions? What is that exactly?
That means they put about 30 fo them vehicle with about 100,000 worth of other stuff and were the loudest on a meter. meter loud and listening loud are two totally different things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just talked to an installer at Sound Senstations in Marietta, GA. They do both Poineer and Boston's. The feedback that I got was that the Poineers love power kinda like Kickers.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
141 Posts
ecrawford said:
Just talked to an installer at Sound Senstations in Marietta, GA. They do both Poineer and Boston's. The feedback that I got was that the Poineers love power kinda like Kickers.
ive messed with alot of pioneer subs and they suck.... and trust me pioneer has nothing on kicker,... kicker will outperform pioneer 10-1 ive seen kicker subs outlast boston and jl subs..... pioneer is the same junk as kenwood theyre low quality subs if they get pushed over their rms limit they will pop....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just found a Boston Dealer that I'm going to check out this weekend in Jacksonville NC. He has a set up G110 in a sound board that I can listen to. I'm pumped as hell now!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,808 Posts
ecrawford said:
Just found a Boston Dealer that I'm going to check out this weekend in Jacksonville NC. He has a set up G110 in a sound board that I can listen to. I'm pumped as hell now!
Dont get your hopes up!

Sound boards typically dont do speakers justice because a big room is nothing like the interior of your car. The airspace is about 2 times as much and it really isnt a pratical way to listen to car audio.

But good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know. At least I will be able to get my hands and eyes on some. Maybe there is someone there with Bostons installed in a car that I can check out. Most dealers have at least one worker with the subs installed so I'll make sure to ask that also.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,015 Posts
ecrawford said:
Just talked to an installer at Sound Senstations in Marietta, GA. They do both Poineer and Boston's. The feedback that I got was that the Poineers love power kinda like Kickers.

yeah sound sensations is owned by vickers distributing . probably one of the worste companies in all of audio to deal with. they use to have a show in riverdale as well. Pretty much a joke shop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,748 Posts
I guess I'm in the minority here. I actually am happy with my premiers. I bought them when they first hit the market years ago and they have been plugging along ever since. I don't know if the quality has gone down since I bought mine, but I am happy with them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tech12volt said:
yeah sound sensations is owned by vickers distributing . probably one of the worste companies in all of audio to deal with. they use to have a show in riverdale as well. Pretty much a joke shop.

Wow. They really boast about the systems that they have done for people like Elton John, Travis Tritt, Big Boy, Little John, Usher and such. They also claim to have on of the top 100 installers in America elected by Moble Electronics Magazine. Must be a lot of smoke that they are blowing.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,015 Posts
ecrawford said:
Wow. They really boast about the systems that they have done for people like Elton John, Travis Tritt, Big Boy, Little John, Usher and such. They also claim to have on of the top 100 installers in America elected by Moble Electronics Magazine. Must be a lot of smoke that they are blowing.
First let me say i have not been in their store in a couple of years . Use to have some friends that worked at the riverdale location and would not let them put a radio in my lawn mower. They could have hired some great installers in the last years . but i deal with the distribition part alot and its right next to the store .


Yeah well just because you do an install for a star does not mean its a good install. And how many opf you are stars. Think you will get the same treatmnet as Elton John or Travis Tritt. Travis lives in pauding county and actuallu got a chance to meet once when his alarm in his truck would not let his truck start . my brother inlaw happened to be a cop working on the side of town and asked me to come over and help. Biggest mess of an install i ever saw for an alarm this was like 8 years ago. I have worked on several so called stars cars and they are usually very easy to work with and very uneducated . One guy kept killing his battery because he would play these huge amps without the car running and he would have it towed all the way back to my shop an hour away from his house in stone mountain so I could charge his battery. LOL Not sure their installer is now . But they use have to hacksers. And ask any shop in the southeast what its like dealing with vickers audio and performance distributing.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,981 Posts
ecrawford said:
Anybody with experience with Pioneer’s Premier Subs? I am patartically looking at the TS-W2501D2/D4’s http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069929_376510832,00.html.

These look to be very well put together and I was impressed by some of the specs. Looks like you can get away with 0.35 cu ft of enclosure space per sub and the maximum is 0.7 cu ft. This leads me to believe that 0.5 would be a great compromise. These subs are also stated to have 800 Watts Nominal Power Handling with a mounting depth of only 6.67 inches. How does that mounting depth compare to some of you who have subs up firing in your CC?

I haven’t heard these yet but have a date to get up with an installer here in town this weekend to get my ears on them. If anyone has heard these in real life, please chime in.
That is not a sub anyone would want to listen to on a daily basis. Pioneer has made a few decent subs over the years but nothing worth bregging over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
P-Dizzle said:
That is not a sub anyone would want to listen to on a daily basis. Pioneer has made a few decent subs over the years but nothing worth bregging over.
I was just looking through their site when I came across the subs and looked in the specs that thought they looked pretty good. I've been trying to call shops that sale both Boston's and Pioneer at the same store in an attempt to get an unbiased opinion and for the most part most have been pretty positive about the two. I’ve heard that Pioneer has come a long way over the past year in a half with subs and amps so I’m not so sure that I would be willing to write them off without a listen. Most say that the Pioneer’s require more power to sound good but they can really take a beating with nice amps. I’ll have a chance to feel and listen to both over the weekend so I should have a better idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,748 Posts
You could mos likely find both at Al & Ed's if you want to check them out. I bought mine from them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,808 Posts
ecrawford said:
I was just looking through their site when I came across the subs and looked in the specs that thought they looked pretty good. I've been trying to call shops that sale both Boston's and Pioneer at the same store in an attempt to get an unbiased opinion and for the most part most have been pretty positive about the two. I’ve heard that Pioneer has come a long way over the past year in a half with subs and amps so I’m not so sure that I would be willing to write them off without a listen. Most say that the Pioneer’s require more power to sound good but they can really take a beating with nice amps. I’ll have a chance to feel and listen to both over the weekend so I should have a better idea.
Good luck!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,981 Posts
ecrawford said:
I was just looking through their site when I came across the subs and looked in the specs that thought they looked pretty good. I've been trying to call shops that sale both Boston's and Pioneer at the same store in an attempt to get an unbiased opinion and for the most part most have been pretty positive about the two. I’ve heard that Pioneer has come a long way over the past year in a half with subs and amps so I’m not so sure that I would be willing to write them off without a listen. Most say that the Pioneer’s require more power to sound good but they can really take a beating with nice amps. I’ll have a chance to feel and listen to both over the weekend so I should have a better idea.
If you buy based on specs someone needs to slap you now.... How the hell are you going to get an unbiased opinion from a store? The experienced installers are not the ones answering the phones anyway. What has Pioneer changed over the last 1.5 years? I have 2 Premier amps sitting in my garage right now. The only difference in the new ones is the look. I also have a pair of IMPP 10's which are better than the current blue series. Am I saying Pioneer subs are terrible? NO, I have used them in many installs. But there are much better subs availabe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
P-Dizzle said:
If you buy based on specs someone needs to slap you now.... How the hell are you going to get an unbiased opinion from a store? The experienced installers are not the ones answering the phones anyway. What has Pioneer changed over the last 1.5 years? I have 2 Premier amps sitting in my garage right now. The only difference in the new ones is the look. I also have a pair of IMPP 10's which are better than the current blue series. Am I saying Pioneer subs are terrible? NO, I have used them in many installs. But there are much better subs availabe.
Cool your jets there Dizzle. I never said that I would buy based on specs. Only that the specs got enough of my attention to want to check them out more and inquire about them here on titantalk. I think that you will get more of an unbiased opinion from a store that sale the products that you are trying to compare with vs. getting opinions from stores that only sale one of those products. For example, if I only sold JL and Kicker and you came in my store, and you wanted to know how they compared to Boston's I would probably try to sway you towards JL or Kicker. Now if I sold all three, my opinion will more than likely give you a better view of what I thought really sounded the best. I'm not saying that its full proof but it helps. I don't know what changed with Pioneer within the past 1.5 years but I will be able to tell you after the weekend if you would still like to know.
 
1 - 20 of 145 Posts
Top