Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am male, have short fingernails, but have damaged the steering wheel faceplate (scratched the paint) through repetive operation of the controls. I looked for but did not find a thread on the scratched face plates. The radio control side developed scratches within the first few months. Scratches first, then the paint flakes off. I had it replaced under warranty. The cruise control side developed scratches much later (still within 36,000 mile warranty) but I delayed getting it replaced. Evidently the gray paint over the black plastic is not very durable. However, the replaced radio control side is still holding up - perhaps they figured that out and the replacement part was manufactured differently. I took my Titan into the dealer for some planned maintenance and asked them to replace the cruise control side face plate while it was in the shop - surely it could not cost more than about $15! Fortunately they called me before doing the work because they quoted $213. I said no. Based on another thread, I looked at nissanpartscheap.com. As far as I can tell, they call the steering wheel face plate a "lid cruise control", which is #6 on their drawing. They want $27.54 before shipping. Nissanpartscheap does not offer color choices. Does anyone know if this is this is the right part or if there is another solution? If the part needs to be painted, I could conceivably repaint the one I have. It is an appearance issue only. Thanks in advance for your help.
2004 Sedona Crew Cab/ 4x4 SE with gray interior

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'd be interested in finding out too. I was told the entire wheel and airbags had to come off to replace it??? I could see that part being a total of $213 with that labor. I was also told that the problem was known and is fixed on newer models. Mine was out of warranty when I decided it should be fixed :(

If this cruise control cover can be self-replaced at $27 bucks I'd love to do it too.

2004 LE OR 4X4 grey interior too.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
They just changed mine out last week. To take the steering wheel off all you have to do is take a 10 mm socket, there is one bolt on each side of the steering wheel, they are under a little cover. Then there are a couple of wire connectors and the wheel comes right off. The face plates are held in with screws (I think). I watched the tech do it and it took less that 10 minutes and he wasn't rushing by any means.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I also have scratched mine and am out of warranty. I heard that you have to buy the whole assembly on the audio control side, which includes all the switches (Vol. Track etc..) and that’s why it cost’s so much. You can only replace the cover, but you still have to buy the whole thing.

If some one has any updates or ideas?

I’d love to get this fix/replaced at a decent price!

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Carbon said:
I also have scratched mine and am out of warranty. I heard that you have to buy the whole assembly on the audio control side, which includes all the switches (Vol. Track etc..) and that’s why it cost’s so much. You can only replace the cover, but you still have to buy the whole thing.

If some one has any updates or ideas?

I’d love to get this fix/replaced at a decent price!
The covers they replace on mine came in a platic bag by themselves. I would say that the dealer could probably get you just the cover. It sure wouldn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Carbon said:
Your right, just called my local dealer and they order it for me $31.42. Left audio control cover
Good deal, glad they were able to help you. I just went and looked at my truck and it doesn't look like you can change them without pulling the steering wheel. You may be able to just slide it back far enough to reach the screws without disconnecting the wires.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Carbon, please keep us informed!!! I will order my cover tomorrow. Want to do it face to face with the parts guy ;) not over the net.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I ordered over the phone and his first price he gave me was 40 odd bucks, I said no why, I heard it was like 27. He then said 31 and I took that.

I hate that they have room to negotiate price, trying to squeeze every last dollar from ya

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
I had mine done a while ago under warranty otherwise it would have cost about $30 for the part (labor extra - usually $75-90/hour).

·
Super Moderator
36,630 Posts
I pointed that out to the service guy, and he said ... its not covered .. looks like Ill take it back and complain ... haha

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
RobKar said:
I pointed that out to the service guy, and he said ... its not covered .. looks like Ill take it back and complain ... haha
If you are under the 3yr/36k mile than it is covered by the warranty. I actually didn't even ask about it the service guy that I have been dealing with and knows that I am a long time customer pointed it out and said they would change it while it was in. He even asked me if there was anything else that was showing wear.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
RobKar said:
had mine replaced under warranty as well, no questions asked from my service advisor. the part looked a bit different but was the same color. i will say the replacement cover has held up much longer than the original one but now the replacement one is scratched as well. at this point, i don't give a rat's arse about it now, but maybe if it bugs me enough and i have the titan in for warranty work again (knock on wood) i'll have them replace that again, since i've got 4 years/40k left on my extendo-warranty. to sum it up, the baking process on the paint sucks!

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
hooligan said:
had mine replaced under warranty as well, no questions asked from my service advisor. the part looked a bit different but was the same color. i will say the replacement cover has held up much longer than the original one but now the replacement one is scratched as well. at this point, i don't give a rat's arse about it now, but maybe if it bugs me enough and i have the titan in for warranty work again (knock on wood) i'll have them replace that again, since i've got 4 years/40k left on my extendo-warranty. to sum it up, the baking process on the paint sucks!
Wear and tear is not covered on the extended warranty. That is why the service guy that I deal with asked me if there was anything else. After 36k miles it is on you to pay for.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
helomech said:
Wear and tear is not covered on the extended warranty. That is why the service guy that I deal with asked me if there was anything else. After 36k miles it is on you to pay for.
ahh, good point helo! oh well... it doesn't even really bug me anymore, like it used to, probably cause my dog has scratched up just about everything plastic in there.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
hooligan said:
ahh, good point helo! oh well... it doesn't even really bug me anymore, like it used to, probably cause my dog has scratched up just about everything plastic in there.
Yeah it is hard to keep it from getting scratched up. BTW nice pic of the red thong.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Wish I'd seen this a few thousand miles ago - Damn. I didn't even think somethin like that would be covered under warranty. I just stopped by the Nissan dealership to setup an appointment for a list of issues I'm having (been holding off for a year now because work has had me far too busy). Turns out some things I need fixed are no longer covered... Like a crack in my windshield? Anybody wanna explain how you crack the inner-pane of glass, starting from behind the rubber-seal? Seems to be that it should be warrantied under my extended... Little pissed about that. Looks like Ill be shellin out ~ 30 for the replacement on the steering wheel too - unless I paint it somethin custom? Anybody go that route yet?

Mike

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine are scratched up as well, looks like A$$,
Does anybody have the part numbers for just the replacement covers, both sides? That would be helpful when ordering.

I talked to my dealer about replacing them under warranty as well and they were not covered under the extended warranty. I also found out the powertrain warranty only goes to 65K, so the extended warranty is useless for that. I wonder what the extended warranty does cover, doesn't seem loike much.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wow I am so glad I read this post because I thought perhaps I have acid fingers or something, because the left control the paint or whatever is wearing off. I have the extended warranty.

Is everyone saying that since my truck is still under warranty the dealer will take care of it for free? I sure hope so... it's very unsightly and I'm almost ashamed of folks to see that control because they might ask if I ever stop messing with the radio :thedevil:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts