Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 holes in my Volkswagen's plastic gas tank. Was wondering if anyone's fixed plastic tanks before. The holes are on the bottom and I don't want to spend $600 on a new tank. I read plastic welding is a good way to fix it but I don't want to have to take the whole tank out. Is there a safe way to solder the plastic without removing the tank? (I've tried JB weld and a plastic fuel tank repair kit from autozone but neither of them held for more than a couple days.

·
Registered
963 Posts
My suggestion is NOT to attempt this DIY repair. Even draining the tank and trying to use a heat source on a closed container with gas vapors circulating inside is a recipe for disaster. Can you imagine the tank erupting in fire under your car while you attempt to weld the tank!?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Also, I've done some plastic welding on my Z racecar bumper tabs and other parts and know what kind of heat a portable plastic welder creates. There's NO WAY I'd get close to flammable fumes with that level of heat. If you want to save money, go to a salvage yard and buy a used gas tank for your year and model VW.

One question- How the hell did you puncture your gas tank in two different places?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts