Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
****Scroll down to the 10/5/12 post for the most recent update on this topic****
Can anyone tell me where to start for repairing the linkage/actuator for the blend door that controls the climate control (AC and heat) for the drivers side? Its the the blend door motor on top of the heater box in the back behond the glove box... Very tight.. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After some consideration, I have decided to eventually bring the truck to a shop as I do not want to deploy the air bag(s) by accident, or do any further damage by removing the dash myself.. It just sucks because I can see the actuator and what looks to be a nylon screw right next to it. I can also see the actuator moving when I adjust the temp for the driver's side, so it has to be something with the door or the linkage.. But I just can't reach it!!!!! So frustrating...
I guess sometimes you have to just bite the bullet...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
booboo1960 said:
Hi Phaster,

Could you please tell me what the final result was with the problem with your heat? Our pathfinder just started doing that today. Please let me know, thanks.

regards,
Doug
Funny you should ask Doug.. I just had the vent door actuator replaced and that was not the problem, at least on my truck. I think it may be a cab temp sensor or the dual climate control is messed up, to where it is not allowing the vent door to fully open or close to give me heat. Stay tuned to the thread and I will report back as soon as I am able to figire it out....

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
This is old thread but has anyone got an update on how this problem was solved?

·
Registered
3,921 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Mine has never clicked and the heat blows hot on the passenger side and room temp driver side, I don't think I have the same problem as the thread in the link above

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine has never clicked and the heat blows hot on the passenger side and room temp driver side, I don't think I have the same problem as the thread in the link above
I can tell you the issue with mine. I discovered after exhausting every other option that its my blend door or blend door mechanisms. The actuator is working correctly, as are the controls. A quarter the way through the actuator's cycle (with the glove box out and stereo bezel removed) I can hear a "pop" and see the actuator move, and also see the mechanisms raise at the time I hear the pop. Not sure if its just the mechanisms for the blend door (two push arms and the actuator attachment) or if its the blend door itself that is broken or frozen. The only way to fully tell is to at least remove the dash... No thanks.. I'll deal with the cold winters here in Florida. If there was a way to fix it for less than $500-$1,000 or more, I would do it.. As you probably know, when its in the 20's or colder and have cold air blowing on you it sucks!

Any one in the Florida area that has experience with the blend door repair and feel like getting into mine?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Fukk that sucks! I wonder if mine just came disconnected somehow since there is no pop whatsoever. Either way we are having the same exact issue, personally I could give a **** less about dual climate control maybe there's a way a can remove the door or disable it so it blows hot both sides.

It does blow a/c both side though which is wierd

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fukk that sucks! I wonder if mine just came disconnected somehow since there is no pop whatsoever. Either way we are having the same exact issue, personally I could give a **** less about dual climate control maybe there's a way a can remove the door or disable it so it blows hot both sides.

It does blow a/c both side though which is wierd
Yeah man, your situation is most likely the same as mine. I bought my truck used in the Florida Fall (still hot), soon after (come winter) I go to use the heat and realize I had no heat on the drivers side.. Obviously the previous owner must have known, but w/e at this point. I did contact the guy I bought it from who had a shop he used that claimed it was an actuator on the drivers side above the floor mat, this is before I researched and dove in to the actual issue myself. He agreed to split the cost of the repair, cool.. But his "guy" at the "shop" was some sketchy dude at a run down joint in the ghetto.. So I took the cash (a couple hundred if I remember correctly) and decided to figure it out on my own. So I never actually heard or experienced the point at which the blend door/actuator/mechanism/etc failed. As of now, I do hear an ever so slight click/pop noise at mid-adjustment on the drivers side temp control, which I later removed half the dash and the glove box and saw the mechanism (via my cell phone video camera shoved on top of the heater box through the left side of the glove box opening) start its revolution and the mechanism almost jump and at the same time hearing the pop/click sound. So, it leads me to believe that the blend door is either frozen/jammed or the actuator mechanism(s) are out of whack, broken, etc. Being that I can somewhat see and feel the mechanisms operating what appears to be normal, I am inclined to say that the blend door is jammed, broken, etc, and it only partially closes/opens to switch to heat which makes the drivers side only slightly warm during the winter months and NOT hot like the passenger side. Like you, my AC works fine (thank God!).
I have seen some YouTube videos of guys rigging up a lawn equipment choke/throttle cable to manually operate blend doors, but this would probably not help me since I think my blend door is the issue and not the actuator or mechanism(s).
Check out this link, this may or may not be the issue we're experiencing?
Nissan Titan Nightmare - YouTube

I would like to have heat in my truck as it absolutely sucks having cold air blow on you in the cold winter mornings, but I'm having a hard time justifying buying a new or used heater box and tearing out my entire dash to install it, or at best removing the entire dash to find the issue and realign some mechanisms etc, at what could cost $500-$1500 or more on a truck that is 6yrs old with (now) 125k miles on it, even if I was to do it all myself. With all the sensitive electronics, air bags, etc I am just not 100% confident in tackling it myself, nor can I afford to have my truck torn apart for a few weekends as I rely on it for transportation.
I hope that you and other members will read this and help us find a solution, or at least share some more insight.
BTW, I hate to say it man, but I am glad that someone besides me is experiencing this so I/we can find a resolution... Like they say, misery loves company!!!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Yeah I was kinda glad to find someone else on here with word for word same exact issue. I'll try pulling the glove box and checking things out like you did and see if I get the same results, I'll update what I find, might be a few days til I have time though

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Nice vid! How frustrating its right there!! Did you have to remove much else besides your glove box to get the phone in there?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice vid! How frustrating its right there!! Did you have to remove much else besides your glove box to get the phone in there?
Seriously man, mad frustrating! I'm almost certain that you can slide your phone in there by just removing the glove box. You may have to remove the lower trim panel too, by removing the glove box and screws and popping it off.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Sounds easy enough. In the video it looks like the white gear thingy pops up off of something. I wonder if you could get a hand or tool of some type in there to apply some downward pressure on it while its in motion? Maybe that would at least get the door moved to the heat side for winter

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I played with it a little this morning before work and did notice if I turn it all the way to 60 and if I just move it one turn to 65 there is a slight click/pop sound behind the dash. So it's stuck all the way in the cold position. I should have a few hours tonight after work to mess with it some more

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds easy enough. In the video it looks like the white gear thingy pops up off of something. I wonder if you could get a hand or tool of some type in there to apply some downward pressure on it while its in motion? Maybe that would at least get the door moved to the heat side for winter
Good idea, I think I tried that and it still popped/raised with the pressure I applied by hand

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Maybe you could reach in through the floor vent with a metal coat hanger and push the door or maybe hook onto something from glovebox opening and pull

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Yes! Kind of

1 - 20 of 48 Posts