Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I was doing my own oil change today (for the first time on the titan) and I unscrewed and drained ~1.5 quarts of a pinkish/redish fluid. The only fluid I can see under the hood that resembles that color is the power steering fluid. Here is a picture of the screw/pan that I drained. If anyone could identify it for me that would be great. Then I can replace the fluid I drained. Thanks in advance. Jae

Attachments

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Hey folks. I was doing my own oil change today (for the first time on the titan) and I unscrewed and drained ~1.5 quarts of a pinkish/redish fluid. The only fluid I can see under the hood that resembles that color is the power steering fluid. Here is a picture of the screw/pan that I drained. If anyone could identify it for me that would be great. Then I can replace the fluid I drained. Thanks in advance. Jae
It's probably tranny fluid, I can't really tell from that picture but I bet that's what it is.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Appears to be your tranny fluid. Go to nissan and get some matic J transmission fluid and refill what you drained. Probably best to not drive the truck until you refill.

·
Registered
421 Posts
x2 on the tranny. you gotta take that skid plate off to drain your oil.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Yea, What every-body said sound's right. I thank it's tranny fluid to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can someone post a picture of the ATF bolt that I need to remove in order to check the ATF level & replace the amount I drained? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
93,867 Posts
Do you work at Jiffy Lube?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Can someone post a picture of the ATF bolt that I need to remove in order to check the ATF level & replace the amount I drained? Thanks.
Not to be rude,but if you gotta ask,you may be in over your head. Call AAA tow it to a dealer pay the $24.95 for the oil change and ask them to refill trans to correct levels.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Not to be rude,but if you gotta ask,you may be in over your head. Call AAA tow it to a dealer pay the $24.95 for the oil change and ask them to refill trans to correct levels.
x2.

If you don't know the difference between an oil pan and a trans pan, you shouldn't be doing your own oil changes.

No offense intended, just sayin'.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Well dont bag on him guys...live and learn right? Now you know...Tranny is that one...unscrew that skid plate and you'll see your oil filter and the screw to you're oil pan...usually looking before doing helps out too =)

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
Not being mean, but this stuff is outlined pretty good in the owners manual...

Just an FYI if you attempt to change the oil again, make sure you run your truck until the engine heats up before you drain the oil and make sure the truck is on a flat surface...

Also, don't have your face under the pan, the oil gets a little warm... <---sorry, couldn't help that one :lol:

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Well dont bag on him guys...live and learn right? Now you know...Tranny is that one...unscrew that skid plate and you'll see your oil filter and the screw to you're oil pan...usually looking before doing helps out too =)
x2. I know we've all done stupid stuff, I don't think people cracking jokes over the internet is really what this guy wants to hear right now.

Anyway, find the dipstick under the hood and check the fluid. If it's not too low then drive it to the dealership and buy some more fluid to refill it. If it is really low then get a ride there, or if you can't do that then have it towed.

·
Premium Member
21,642 Posts
Hey, if you have 4x4 it could have been the transfer case. As I recall the transfer case plug is toward the rear of the truck.

·
Registered
121 Posts
For what it's worth I couldn't find the page in my 05's manual that actually spelled out where the transmission dipstick was. If you're facing the engine it's on the left side towards the rear of the engine. A long aluminum tube that has a black cap. The cap has a sticker wrapped around it that says something to the effect of "Use only J matic transmission fluid" it is secured by a 10mm bolt, once you take out the 10mm bolt you can remove the dipstick and check the fluid level.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
One side of the dipstick face is to be read when hot and the other when cold.

·
Banned
1,022 Posts
x4 on the jiffy lube joke! yes.... very nice!

-dave

·
Premium Member
21,642 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts