Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone of you had this brake problem before. It's kinda hard to explain what is going on, but I'll try my best.

Every blue moon, when I press on my brakes, it feels like my brakes are slipping and I hear a springing sound. Like a "POUND" spring sound. The truck stops, but I have to press on the brakes hard for it to stop. Also, the brake light comes on. Here is the weird part. Once the brakes start this behavior, it is easily fixed by turning my truck completely off and restarting it. Once I restart it, I don't have this problem for a while. I first notice this problem about 1.5 months ago. Since then, it happened about 4 times.

Have anyone ever experienced this or know what it is?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
You may want to go to the dealer and find out whats wrong. Sounds like a serious problem. Its either your master cylinder or your antilock system.

·
Super Moderator
93,665 Posts
There may be a recall on it, but you should get it in as fast as possible. You don't want that happening at a critical time when you really need your brakes to work.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
That maybe your master cylinder then, as you restart your truck it resets it with the vacuum

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
teeforb said:
I have an 04 titan. Would this be something under warranty or brake recall?
No recall I've heard of that sounds like that. I've had to have a brake booster replaced($$$), no warranty after 36,000.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My 04 did the same thing a couple months after final brake judder fix at around 58000. I call 1800NISSAN1 and explained that the brake judder could have possibly caused the brake booster to fail and that I wasn't asking for the replacement for free but would like to meet them 50/50. 2 days later my dealer called to schedule the replacement and that Nissan was picking up the whole tab. Make sure they do the TSB to reset the ECU or something after they change the brake booster.
You need to drive it to your dealer while this is happening. Be carefull and plan all your stops. This has to be active for them to read the codes. Once you shut it off the codes clear like BBF said.
I hope I gave you some ammo in your quest.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had this problem. Of course the dealer cannot reproduce it so they cannot fix it. When this happens the pedal is very soft and the brake light is on. It sounds to me like a groaning sound when I press the pedal. This has happened twice this summer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
titaninmd said:
I've had this problem. Of course the dealer cannot reproduce it so they cannot fix it. When this happens the pedal is very soft and the brake light is on. It sounds to me like a groaning sound when I press the pedal. This has happened twice this summer.
So what happened? Did you get it fixed?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have a hard time remembering yesterday but I think it was in the 400-600 range.

·
Registered
2 Posts
FireWalker42 said:
My 04 did the same thing a couple months after final brake judder fix at around 58000. I call 1800NISSAN1 and explained that the brake judder could have possibly caused the brake booster to fail and that I wasn't asking for the replacement for free but would like to meet them 50/50. 2 days later my dealer called to schedule the replacement and that Nissan was picking up the whole tab. Make sure they do the TSB to reset the ECU or something after they change the brake booster.
You need to drive it to your dealer while this is happening. Be carefull and plan all your stops. This has to be active for them to read the codes. Once you shut it off the codes clear like BBF said.
I hope I gave you some ammo in your quest.

This has happened to me so many times I have lost count. I've taken my Titan in for repair and Nissan "fixed" the problem but it keeps happening. I've taken it to three different dealers in the Houston area so I believe the problem needs to be addressed at the next level. Several times I supposedly got a complete brake job only to have the problem resurface within weeks and other times within months. I'm going to call Nissan for a resolution to this problem because it is very serious. I first thought I just got a poorly built Titan but from what I'm reading on this forum the problem is much more widespread. My Titan is an 04 with only 53K miles and several brake jobs. I hope Nissan steps-up because this brake problem is making me think I need to look to the darkside of Toyota.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My brakes just did the same thing. I was taking a corner and tapped my brakes to slow down. The brakes sounded like a major mechanical failure (metal on metal), the pedal went soft, and the brake light came on. I rolled to stop, shut down the engine, restarted and everything was fine. I had my brakes checked about 1,000 miles ago and everything checked out. With this recent problem together with all of my electrical problems, I am about 90% sure I will be trading this in for a 07 Tundra this afternoon.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a beautiful '04 Titan, Ive had the same problems. Actually my baby is at Nissan now as I type. What happends is every once and a while by parking brake light will come on when my brake is NOT engaged, when I hit the brakes it feels spongy and the caliber grabs the pad. Its the ABS SENSOR if you have the same problems take it to the dealer, THEY WILL FIX IT! make sure they replace it not REPROGRAM IT. Another cause is if your battery levels are low it will screw with the sensor. If the dealer wont replace it CALL NISSAN HQ, and complain....TRUST ME IT WILL BE REPLACED :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a beautiful '04 Titan, Ive had the same problems. Actually my baby is at Nissan now as I type. What happen's is every once and a while by parking brake light will come on when my brake is NOT engaged, when I hit the brakes it feels spongy and the caliber grabs the pad. Its the ABS SENSOR if you have the same problems take it to the dealer, THEY WILL FIX IT! make sure they replace it not REPROGRAM IT. Another cause is if your battery levels are low it will screw with the sensor. If the dealer wont replace it CALL NISSAN HQ, and complain....TRUST ME IT WILL BE REPLACED :)
Thanks for this last post. My 07 does the SAME thing. I am going to call Nissan tomorrow. First time this happened to me I was going 70 down the hwy. No brakes were engaged, but I noticed the light come on. I restart the truck and problem goes away with no apparent damage to the brakes. Works great after a restart which makes me think it's not mechanical, but computer driven. But I know nothing about auto, just a guess based on common sense and experiencing the problem a dozen times in the past few months. If you've ever had this problem it does seem like you've had a major brake failure. Before I can pull over to restart the truck my stomach turns wondering if I'm going to be able to stop and if I'm doing major damage trying to slow down. Pretty nerve racking.

The dealership wants over $750 to replace the brake boosters. Which I think is the beginning to a long line of repairs. Not cool if you ask me that they probably have seen this issue before, but don't let their customers know all their options. That being said, I still love my truck. Runs great.

I'll let everyone know how this turns out for me. It's obviously a mfg defect and the only reason Nissan will shell out the money to fix it for you. Especially something as serious as a brake issue.

This site does a great public service for Titan owners. Really appreciate the replies from all.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
The dealership wants over $750 to replace the brake boosters.
There is only one of them. It is just a metal can under the hood on the firewall behind the master cylinder with a rubber diaphram inside that provides vacuum assist to help you push the brake pedal and drive the piston in the master cylinder. On other cars, I have installed fairly inexpensive rebuilt boosters where they replace the diaphram and seals. There is an associated check valve and vacuum line that can also leak and cause problems, although those are both inexpensive to replace. On my 04 there is also an electrical connection (maybe to a solenoid valve ?) on the booster that I think is associated with the VDC system that can individually apply the brakes on each wheel in the event of a skid.

HowStuffWorks "How Power Brakes Work"

I'm pretty sure I would not pay $750 to have the dealer replace it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys,

I've struggled with the same problem for over 4 years. Finally after all warranties had expired, I got the proper diagnosis. It's been a few months and I don't remember the exact terminology used but I'll give it my best shot. I believe it was call the brake booster assembly and or master cylinder. The dealer could not fix it until Nissan got involved. Over the course of the four years that I struggled with this problem, I had gone to several dealerships in the city. They had all fixed/replaced everything but the booster assembly/master cylinder. Once that was replaced, I've gone several months without the problem.

Pros & Con to the problem being fixed!
Pro - I don't have to worry about the brakes not working.
Con - I no longer get free brake jobs. I haven't paid for brakes in 5 years

BTW - I was quoted somewhere in the neighborhood of $2000 to fix the problem but the tab was picked-up by Nissan. Hey they not done so, I would have switch to another manufacturer. I know I'm just one customer but I've owned several new Nissan and will likely be purchasing a new vehicle for my wife soon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts