Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay i want to start with im brand new here, Ive searched up on google my issue and ive read a lot of posts from this website on the issue. So i guess im just another one in the bag. My right rear axel is leaking. I noticed last week that on the back side of the rotor it is caked on there, so its probably been leaking for sometime now. My girlfriends uncle is a mechanic i took it to him to look at it and says its the seal, and its going to cost 850 bucks to fix because nissan only sells it in a whole kit, seal, speed sensor, etc. He said that i only need to replace the seals and bearings and dont need anything else but in his shop computer he couldnt even find aftermarket places that just sell the seals and bearing. I then had a buddy who works at pepboys and he said the same thing but a lil more. He said that pepboys doesnt even do the fix because half the time when you take it all apart you end up breaking parts you need so resulting in buying more parts. Also said you need a place like napa to press the seals in.. I just hoped online and i can get seals and bearings off of some websites. My question is, is what exactly do I need to buy, Im not very good with cars, and if i can do this on my own ill be doing it with my gf's father whos good with cars. I dont have 850 bucks to drop right now because we are searching to buy a house. Also i noticed some of you talking about a vent mod? is this something i should do to prevent from happening again??

06 Titan w/66k miles, tinted windows, rain guards, tonneau cover, soon to be lifted..

Thank you very much for any input.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
There is a 5 star thread on this.
Thread starter was Bestatchess.

Find him in the members list.
Find thread started by him.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
I didn't realize anybody but the dealer was running that line of BS. If it has been leaking for a long time, you may need to replace the parking brake shoes, but I think shoes for both sides is only about $50 at rockauto.com. They sell the springs & clips for the parking brakes also.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-faq-howto-area/123384-replacing-axle-seals-w-pics.html

Yeah, I would advise doing the hose vent mod, although it does not guaranty you won't need to replace them again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I searched up ur old post. Im going to do it myself and have napa to the pressing. My gf's father has done it a dozen times. Bearing 85 bucks and the seal is like 15 bucks. I'm going to look into the cost and how with the hose vent.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Yea I searched up ur old post. Im going to do it myself and have napa to the pressing. My gf's father has done it a dozen times. Bearing 85 bucks and the seal is like 15 bucks. I'm going to look into the cost and how with the hose vent.
$85 is high. I got Timken Set 10 (bearing/race/spacer) for $28 shipped. NAPA wanted $50 for some Japanese brand. Hose vent is less than $20 (hose, fitting, hose clamps, fuel filter)

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-faq-howto-area/28334-axle-vent-issue-solution.html

"My gf's father has done it a dozen times." Not surprised, as they do it exactly the same way on the Dana 44 rear axles and there are millions of them running around in Jeeps, etc.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually do u remember where u got ur bearing. I searched up wut u got but can only find a pair of then for 85 w/o shipping.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts

The pic above depics the bearing with the race in position over the bearing, along with the spacer ring. So it looks correct to me. I used Timken Set 10 and it looked the same. The reason you don't see the caged rollers in the pic is because they are covered by the race. I googled National vs. Timken bearing and people seem to think National is a decent brand of bearing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea they said 550 to replace the bearing and seal. And about 900 for the new axel if I wanted to go the route. I think I'm going to do option 1 get the bearing/seal/and shoes offline and do it myself. If the armada is the same as the titan and I needed to do both sides I would grab that eBay.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Yea they said 550 to replace the bearing and seal. And about 900 for the new axel if I wanted to go the route. I think I'm going to do option 1 get the bearing/seal/and shoes offline and do it myself. If the armada is the same as the titan and I needed to do both sides I would grab that eBay.
I would just buy the parts off RockAuto. I posted that to show that a Nissan dealer was selling seals + bearings rather than the entire axle assembly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry im just a person that has never done it and want to be double sure before i order something. As for the vent mod the link you sent me, i can and will do it the same way. Everyone just runs in in their tail light pocket?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And i read that thread up and down and really dont understand the point or reasoning of doing it. Ur still just replacing a hose line? Or is the purpose to get the check valve style out and put in a fuel filter not check valve style

1 - 20 of 29 Posts