Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im conflicted about what to do here, I have an 07' Titan 4x4 without big tow that is obviously not going to be able to tow the travel trailers I am looking at buying. My one option is to beef up the rear end (that I think is going out anyways), transmission, and suspension on the truck I own or buy another (which I really don't want to do). Reading around on the site i've settled on a lvl 10 transmission, radflow suspension all the way around with an extra spring on the rear and possibly TrueTrac rear end. I cant seem to find the common point of failure on these rear ends and if the TrueTrac is actually going to help with it or if I should just look at a different route. Is the truetrac the way to go?

·
Premium Member
68,156 Posts
What are you going to pull? A house??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, as close to a house as I can get without blowing up my truck.. I'm heading to college at 32, buying a travel trailer that I can live in for a few years...

·
Premium Member
68,156 Posts
You know that whatever you do, you still can't pull more than about 7200 lbs, right?

·
Premium Member
68,156 Posts
Could easily be death, if you over do things. Whatever you do to ANY truck will not increase its capacity it is designed to handle. My 7100 lb camper is all I want to tow with my big tow truck.

·
Premium Member
68,156 Posts
You have lots of reading to do in the towing section.

·
Premium Member
68,156 Posts
And you still haven't said what you are wanting in a camper. A nice 29' trailer? A 40' Montana 5th wheel with 5 slides??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Everything is buildable, I don't know exactly which one im getting yet, it will be 7k-8k pound travel trailer 30'-35'. Ive seen people that claim they pull this stock, im building myn, the trailer would be pulled for now empty, no water or belongings. thanks. Still would like input on where these trucks fail when they do if anyone has any.

·
Premium Member
68,156 Posts
The Tundra can pull the space shuttle. I see I'm talking to a hard head. I'm out of this conversation. I'm sure you will get help from another member that won't tell you what you want to hear either. Hope I don't see you on the highway.

·
Premium Member
19,273 Posts
Legally, your truck can't tow any more than it's rated for. However, should you switch to looking at a fifth wheel trailer, you'll run out of cargo capacity long before you run out of GCWR. It's possible you'll run out of cargo capacity with a travel trailer too if you normally travel with a lot of gear in the bed.

On my '07, I pulled a trailer with a tongue weight around 1,400 lbs. This was between my house and the storage lot, not on the highway. I broke the leaf spring bracket (that attaches to the frame) and bent the upgraded PRG shackle. I got lucky and nothing failed completely, so I was able to weld/replace the affected parts.

Without the tow package you don't have a low enough ratio in the differential gears. The rest of the drivetrain will have to work much harder to tow anything heavy. You could install the 3.36 gears, but that still won't change your cargo capacity sticker on the driver's door frame.

If your trailer is sufficiently heavy, I think you're better off buying a 3/4 ton truck. A trailer that long will be a case of the tail wagging the dog. The Titan is a light truck.

·
Premium Member
68,156 Posts
🍿 Waiting on the argument.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Legally, your truck can't tow any more than it's rated for. However, should you switch to looking at a fifth wheel trailer, you'll run out of cargo capacity long before you run out of GCWR. It's possible you'll run out of cargo capacity with a travel trailer too if you normally travel with a lot of gear in the bed.

On my '07, I pulled a trailer with a tongue weight around 1,400 lbs. This was between my house and the storage lot, not on the highway. I broke the leaf spring bracket (that attaches to the frame) and bent the upgraded PRG shackle. I got lucky and nothing failed completely, so I was able to weld/replace the affected parts.

Without the tow package you don't have a low enough ratio in the differential gears. The rest of the drivetrain will have to work much harder to tow anything heavy. You could install the 3.36 gears, but that still won't change your cargo capacity sticker on the driver's door frame.

If your trailer is sufficiently heavy, I think you're better off buying a 3/4 ton truck. A trailer that long will be a case of the tail wagging the dog. The Titan is a light truck.
Hm,
Damn, that is alot of tongue weight, not where I where I would have expected to have to beef up.. Hate to see the Titan go out so easily. I've already started pricing out 2500's and 3500's but like I said, I hate to let this truck go if I dont have to and it might come to that. It keeps growing on me more and more every time I put something else on it...Might be cheaper to just get rid of it or pay someone to pull my travel trailer where its going to be for awhile.. I appreciate the information.

·
Premium Member
19,273 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I really liked my Titan. It was the most reliable vehicle I had ever had. But after a few years, it just wasn't up to towing what I needed it to tow. Even lesser weight trailers caused the transmission to heat up.

·
Registered
510 Posts
There are way too many weak points to upgrade to tow much more than a 7,000 pound trailer even with the big tow package. With the age of you’re truck it’s trouble waiting to happen towing much over 3000 pounds. I had to get rid of my 2006 big tow after the rear ended gave out towing my 7000 pond travel trailer. I went with an 18 Titan and it tows my trailer like a dream but it’s only 26 foot of livable space so about a 30 foot trailer. If you go much longer than that on a half ton truck the sway will make driving a white knuckle experience.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im conflicted about what to do here, I have an 07' Titan 4x4 without big tow that is obviously not going to be able to tow the travel trailers I am looking at buying. My one option is to beef up the rear end (that I think is going out anyways), transmission, and suspension on the truck I own or buy another (which I really don't want to do). Reading around on the site i've settled on a lvl 10 transmission, radflow suspension all the way around with an extra spring on the rear and possibly TrueTrac rear end. I cant seem to find the common point of failure on these rear ends and if the TrueTrac is actually going to help with it or if I should just look at a different route. Is the truetrac the way to go?
Along with pulling your load, you need to be able to stop with it.
I've been told that if you are in a wreck and found to be towingore than the truck is rated for. You can be held liable

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think that's the train of thought I'll go for now after reading all this stuff. Thinking about just busting the bank for a 1 ton and driving it till the wheels fall off. I appreciate all the replies.

·
Premium Member
19,273 Posts
The only time you'll complain about having too much truck is at the gas station.

·
Premium Member
68,156 Posts
Too much > not enough.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hm,
Damn, that is alot of tongue weight, not where I where I would have expected to have to beef up.. Hate to see the Titan go out so easily. I've already started pricing out 2500's and 3500's but like I said, I hate to let this truck go if I dont have to and it might come to that. It keeps growing on me more and more every time I put something else on it...Might be cheaper to just get rid of it or pay someone to pull my travel trailer where its going to be for awhile.. I appreciate the information.
We have towed trailers, cement, rocks, 25 ft trailer, motorcycles, never once have we had a problem. These trucks are beast!!!!! We did install the very affordable tow package initially..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts