Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK here's the thing i just got my TCLEOSE commission to work in Texas as a peace officer and already found someone to pick me up. I'm wanting to do side jobs such as lane closures and would like to mod my titan with discreet LED Emergency Lighting (and sirens just for the hell of it)... Id like to see if anyone has any Pics of a modded titan also anyone who knows the cheapest around San Antonio to install these as well..... thanks for any help.....

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
talk to jonblazed he has the set up your looking for installed in his titan

Reactions: Walrus and SD_Titan

·
Registered
6,386 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive been on galls but from what I'm told most installers will only do it if you buy the equipment from them and there prices seem outrageous... id do it myself but for what i think i want its gonna require a lot of wire/power and id hate to burn up my controls...
here is a link to YouTube of a setup id like to have at least similar to anyways

YouTube - ‪2004 Nissan Titan Code 3 LED Lighting Package‬‏

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Invest the money in LED, not halogen. It'll save you a fortune on Battery and Alternator reliability.

At a minimum, purchase an Odyssey PC1700 or PC700MJT, or go to Sears and order a Platinum with the correct post orientation for the Titan. Most likely it is not the one on the shelf; it is really same battery as Odyssey, but cost $190 vs $300-350 for Odyssey. East Penn also sells an AGM type called the Dominator, I just bought 4 Group 31 (Lg Truck 925 CCA) for only $215 a piece. See if they have one that meets our needs. Positive Post on Right Side.

Run a 4 Gauge Jumper from your Positive Post to a large Terminal Strip or a Stud and be sure to put an Inline Fuseholder on each Separate Circuit, it will make maintenance easy. Do the same for a good Ground, use a Terminal Strip or a Stud. By running a separate Ground to each Light, you will be much better off.

Use 14 Gauge Minimum (10 Gauge is so much more durable physically if you can afford it. But is overkill electrically) for each Lights Positive and Ground Wires to the respective Terminal Strip or Stud. Solder each Terminal and Heat Shrink.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Congrats brother, be safe.

I work in NC as an LEO. Unfortunately state law here says that a vehicle has to be departmentally owned in order to have blue lights and siren. Regardless, i HIGHLY recommend whelen's colored hidden LED "strobe" lights. Also, Throw up a blue (or whatever color you wish) and amber in the back window, and maybe some grills and you'll be more then good to go. The Whelen LED's are bright as crap even during the day. Its what my new patrol car has on, and at night time you wish you could just turn them off all together when on a call.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts

I work in NC as an LEO. Unfortunately state law here says that a vehicle has to be departmentally owned in order to have blue lights and siren. Regardless, i HIGHLY recommend whelen's colored hidden LED "strobe" lights. Also, Throw up a blue (or whatever color you wish) and amber in the back window, and maybe some grills and you'll be more then good to go. The Whelen LED's are bright as crap even during the day. Its what my new patrol car has on, and at night time you wish you could just turn them off all together when on a call.

Same applies here in TX.

Sec. 547.305. RESTRICTIONS ON USE OF LIGHTS. (a) A motor vehicle lamp or illuminating device, other than a headlamp, spotlamp, auxiliary lamp, turn signal lamp, or emergency vehicle or school bus warning lamp, that projects a beam with an intensity brighter than 300 candlepower shall be directed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam strikes the roadway at a distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.

(b) Except as expressly authorized by law, a person may not operate or move equipment or a vehicle, other than a police vehicle, with a lamp or device that displays a red light visible from directly in front of the center of the equipment or vehicle.

(c) A person may not operate a motor vehicle equipped with a red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating light unless the equipment is:

(1) used as specifically authorized by this chapter; or

(2) a running lamp, headlamp, taillamp, backup lamp, or turn signal lamp that is used as authorized by law.

(d) A vehicle may be equipped with alternately flashing lighting equipment described by Section 547.701 or 547.702 only if the vehicle is:

(1) a school bus;

(2) an authorized emergency vehicle;

(3) a church bus that has the words "church bus" printed on the front and rear of the bus so as to be clearly discernable to other vehicle operators;

(4) a tow truck while under the direction of a law enforcement officer at the scene of an accident or while hooking up to a disabled vehicle on a roadway; or

(5) a tow truck with a mounted light bar which has turn signals and stop lamps in addition to those required by Sections 547.322, 547.323, and 547.324, Transportation Code.

(e) A person may not operate highway maintenance or service equipment, including snow-removal equipment, that is not equipped with lamps or that does not display lighted lamps as required by the standards and specifications adopted by the Texas Department of Transportation.

(f) In this section "tow truck" means a motor vehicle or mechanical device that is adapted or used to tow, winch, or move a disabled vehicle.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 380, Sec. 1, eff. July 1, 1999.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Same applies here in TX.

Sec. 547.305. RESTRICTIONS ON USE OF LIGHTS. (a) A motor vehicle lamp or illuminating device, other than a headlamp, spotlamp, auxiliary lamp, turn signal lamp, or emergency vehicle or school bus warning lamp, that projects a beam with an intensity brighter than 300 candlepower shall be directed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam strikes the roadway at a distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.

(b) Except as expressly authorized by law, a person may not operate or move equipment or a vehicle, other than a police vehicle, with a lamp or device that displays a red light visible from directly in front of the center of the equipment or vehicle.

(c) A person may not operate a motor vehicle equipped with a red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating light unless the equipment is:

(1) used as specifically authorized by this chapter; or

(2) a running lamp, headlamp, taillamp, backup lamp, or turn signal lamp that is used as authorized by law.

(d) A vehicle may be equipped with alternately flashing lighting equipment described by Section 547.701 or 547.702 only if the vehicle is:

(1) a school bus;

(2) an authorized emergency vehicle;

(3) a church bus that has the words "church bus" printed on the front and rear of the bus so as to be clearly discernable to other vehicle operators;

(4) a tow truck while under the direction of a law enforcement officer at the scene of an accident or while hooking up to a disabled vehicle on a roadway; or

(5) a tow truck with a mounted light bar which has turn signals and stop lamps in addition to those required by Sections 547.322, 547.323, and 547.324, Transportation Code.

(e) A person may not operate highway maintenance or service equipment, including snow-removal equipment, that is not equipped with lamps or that does not display lighted lamps as required by the standards and specifications adopted by the Texas Department of Transportation.

(f) In this section "tow truck" means a motor vehicle or mechanical device that is adapted or used to tow, winch, or move a disabled vehicle.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 380, Sec. 1, eff. July 1, 1999.
Here is the law that allows lights on a POV by a LEO for lane closure (Last paragraph)... I would only be using it the way the law has prescribed it. I had looked this up because i was concerned myself id hate to get fired for something like this. Lane closure is considered a police function and since our department has gave us the blessing to use our POVS we can use red and blues. I don't necessarily need the siren but figured what the hell might as well just for fun... lane closures at night are dangerous IE drunks, rubber-neckers and just bad drivers so id like to have my truck highly visible...

"Police vehicle" is now defined as "a vehicle used by a peace officer, as defined by Article 2.12, Code of Criminal Procedure, for law enforcement purposes that:
(A) is owned or leased by a governmental entity;
(B) is owned or leased by the police department of a private institution of higher education that commissions peace officers under Section 51.212, Education Code; or
(C) is:
(i) a private vehicle owned or leased by the peace officer; and
(ii) approved for use for law enforcement purposes by the head of the law enforcement agency that employs the peace officer, or by that person's designee, provided that use of the private vehicle must, if applicable, comply with any rule adopted by the commissioners court of a county under Section 170.001, Local Government Code, and that the private vehicle may not be considered an authorized emergency vehicle for [toll fee] exemption purposes under Section 228.054, 284.070, 366.178, or 370.177, Transportation Code, unless the vehicle is marked."

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks.... the school was easier than i thought i was prior LE in the military and now moving on to bigger and better things lol our patrols have the same setup and i love them... ALOT better than halogen.... still doesnt seem to get everyones attention though... our department is installing the rumbler siren on our cars sometime this month im looking forward to testing those out.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts