Nissan Titan Forum banner

Poor AC performance at idle

10K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Jeffsaidso 
#1 ·
I have had this problem since i purchased the truck new (armada) and have had the refrigerant checked and topped off last year. I also had the fan recall done and apparently have the strongest one that nissan installs

My ac works fine when the truck is moving but is not very cold at idle. This is a big problem in traffic when the outside temp is over 90 degrees. I have found other people here with the problem but the only solution I saw was to remove the in cabin microfilter which others have stated is not good for the condenser coils.

Any idea what this could be?

#2 ·
If it's only at idle (stopped in traffic), then it's airflow over the condenser.

The clutch fan could be weak (viscous couple wearing out), the condenser could have debris in it...or you might need to add a second (or bigger primary) electric fan.

I notice the same issue in my truck...worse so in the '07 Expedition EL we recently purchased. it's not horrible, but the A/C performance suffers when the truck's not moving.

It was an issue in my Silverado SS that I owned before my Titan - I upgraded to an electric fan setup on it and the A/C cooled noticeably better at idle. I added the fans for performance, but the A/C improvement was a nice bonus.

- Brian

#3 ·
There is a known issue with an AC problem while idling that I had a TSB done on my 2004 Titan in mid 2006. I wanted to attach a copy of the TSB but the upload limit on TitanTalk for pdf files is 490.6KB and the NTB05_065a pdf file is 3.25MB which is many time the maximum upload limit and cannot be uploaded.

A Google search for NTB05_065a should work however.

#5 ·
Thanks for the TSB. I was able to find it online but it only applied up to 2006 (mine is a 2007). There seemed to be programming required for prior years and the installation of an air dam and styrophome.

I worry that I am out of warrantee that the TSBs would not be applied by the dealer. They are horrible around here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.