Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks. I am new to the forum thing. I am also the new owner of a preowned 04 Crewcab Titan. Let me startoff by saying I bought this truck because of the enormous room inside the cab. The truck is also very sharp looking. I have to admit I previously owned a Silverado and I am missing its 20mpg fuel economy. I am reaching out to other Titan owners to see what fuel mileage I should expect from my 2wd shortbed truck w/97k mi. Right now I calculate that I am around 9mpg. I used 11.5 gal during a recent 106mi trip. The truck runs great(lots of power) and I do not detect any misfires, also the rpm stays at 2000 at 70mph(typical from other vehicles I owned). I do not know the service history of the truck so I am planning to replace the sparkplugs. Do I need to buy OEM at $12ea or will standard Platinum plugs hold up???? I cant think of any other maintenance items to do, the truck is stock(no lift or mods). I am thinking of adding an Econ chip, does anyone have experience with this???? If I can get up to 14-15mpg, I would jump for joy. Anyone have any tips to improve mpg???????

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well I can't help much but welcome to the Titan world on the fuel economy. My truck is an 05 Crew-cab LE 4wd big tow, and I do have brute force intake and Gibson swept-side exhaust. My recent road trip of about 280 miles on the take netted me 14.2 mpg, and I was easy on the gas hardly ever taking off and going over 2000 rpm and I set the cruise control at 71mph which was 2000rpm. This is one of my best mpg achievements yet.

Your fuel mileage does seem a bit low especially for 2wd but hopefully some experts can chip in!

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
New oil, plugs, programmer, intake and exhaust will be your best bet. NGK plugs will do just fine, I recently put some in mine and noticed about +1 mpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New oil, plugs, programmer, intake and exhaust will be your best bet. NGK plugs will do just fine, I recently put some in mine and noticed about +1 mpg
what do you mean programmer?? Also "intake & exhaust". replace with OEM or something aftermarket??

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I would say 9 MPG is low for a stock Titan without towing anything. The plugs should help a bit. Don't expect to get much more than 13 MPG overall driving unless you are 99% highway. Welcome to the getting gas every 5 days club. Your complaints are the same as everyone else. DO NOT get a programmer to improve gas. It will wake up the truck and give you more power but nothing for saving gas. When Nissan developed the Titan gas was less than $1.50 a gallon. I guess the engineers didn't think much about fuel economy back then.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
exhaust manifolds cracked? bigger than oem wheels/tires? air filter clean?
If the manifolds are cracked then I cant hear it. I was warned about this before I bought the truck and was instructed to listen under the hood when starting a cold engine. I did not hear the typical ticking. If they are, can you explain how this would affect fuel mileage?? Thanks a bunch!!

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
If the manifolds are cracked then I cant hear it. I was warned about this before I bought the truck and was instructed to listen under the hood when starting a cold engine. I did not hear the typical ticking. If they are, can you explain how this would affect fuel mileage?? Thanks a bunch!!
My right side manifold was cracked and I was getting mileage in the 12's. The noise was real loud when the truck was cold. It also got loud when I punched it. I had it replaced about a month ago and I'm back up to 13.6 so what bestatchess is saying is totally accurate. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it myself.

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
After-market exhaust and intake. OEM is pretty sh*tty for the 04-07's. Look up superchips flashpaq or cortex

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there, I just got my 2008 Nissan Titan pro 4x with 40k mi. My fuel economy was avg. 20L/100 km. I put in AFE cold air intake for $400 and changed the spark plugs now I am at 17-18 L/100 km. Next step is getting a chip and exhaust. Aiming for 15L/100 km

1 - 10 of 10 Posts