Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I find the huge differences in what people get for mileage to be interesting. I know driving styles are a factor, but could your local terrain be a major difference maker, for example living in a very hilly area versus a very flat area?

The variances are just so big there has to be something going on.

FYI, my 2006 used to average 17 mpg combined, but now Im lucky to get 14.5 combined. Its still under 100K miles on the truck. Some of my loss might be attributed to performance mods, but they are mild and I wouldn't think a big factor in my mpg decrease.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm averaging 18.5 with 750 clicks on the meter.
With just over 5000 miles I'm averaging 18.5 also. One weekend I got 490 miles on a tank. It seems that when its broken in it does pretty well. Admittedly I'm mostly rural and I set the cruise on 71 and leave it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is Health Issue with my 2016 Nissan Titan XD Platinum Reserve (Cummins Diesel) OD: 11,000 Miles:
Since I purchased this Truck last year; I frequently smell horrible fuel in the cabin while all windows are closed. Yesterday was 28 Deg. F and driving my son; we had to open the windows because this strong smell. which I BELIEVE IT'S A HUMAN HEALTH ISSUE.
After I turn off the vehicle I get 3 MPG and 7 MPG, 8 MPG which I believe it burns very rich.
I took the truck to couple dealers and they said "there is no fault codes, and nothing to fix"
I do have pictures of the poor gas millage screens
I'm getting sick and tired of this; and if Nissan will not fix this issue; I'll report this to the Health department.

2) I drove this truck once on a dirt road for less than one mile:
And I noticed that direct accumulated inside the front two doors and the body behind the doors, also noticed that dirt accumulated behind the tailgate entered the bed from the two holes in the back were the Tie-down loops are behind the storage boxes on both sides. So if I have food or anything in the bed; it will get contaminated; also this will lead into rust from the salt they spray in winter time. This means I have to continually wash behind the doors. This is a big JOKE NISSAN
NOTE: I do have bed Hardcover.

Hopefully Nissan will respond with a solution to these issues; before it goes further.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi everyone. I got my 2017 Titan SV 4x4 in December 2016. Since then I have had a very difficult time getting anywhere near the advertised fuel efficiency which is supposed to be 15 city, 21 highway, and 18 combined.

I have been getting on average 11mpg or max 13mpg average. I have been calculating this manually by tracking gasoline added and the odometer miles. The good news is that the Titan's computer seems very accurate in matching my 11mpg to 13mpg average.

The bad news is that no matter how conservatively I drive, even without passengers and with an empty bed, I am unable to get 15mpg much less 21mpg on highway driving.

Gas anyone else noticed this?
Have you had the TCM and ECM updates done on your truck? If not that should give you better results.

·
Registered
181 Posts
so much for the new, what is it....8 speed? transmission providing increased economy. I guess the additional 70 hp is using some additional fuel!
7 speed transmission and because the engine is "direct injection" not fuel injection you wanna play your gonna pay lol. Yes these engines like fuel but look at the results they will take off like a cat on a hot tin roof when all is fine tuned :)

I get 15 in town and over 20 on the highway 60 mph. Anything over 60mph then forget your economy it goes way down but what fun cruising at 80 or so down that good ol I 90 hwy especially when your gas is cheap unlike where I am from its a gold bar every time I fill up. ;)

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
direct injection is still fuel injection, although supposed to be more efficient type. The results are questionable at best. It also has the additional problem of gunk and carbon build up on the valves as they see no fuel to help remove and wash away the buildup. some manufactures have addressed this issue in different ways, such as direct injection combined with traditional fuel injection, but im not sure nissan has done it on the new titan

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
This is Health Issue with my 2016 Nissan Titan XD Platinum Reserve (Cummins Diesel) OD: 11,000 Miles:
Since I purchased this Truck last year; I frequently smell horrible fuel in the cabin while all windows are closed. Yesterday was 28 Deg. F and driving my son; we had to open the windows because this strong smell. which I BELIEVE IT'S A HUMAN HEALTH ISSUE.
After I turn off the vehicle I get 3 MPG and 7 MPG, 8 MPG which I believe it burns very rich.
I took the truck to couple dealers and they said "there is no fault codes, and nothing to fix"
I'm getting sick and tired of this; and if Nissan will not fix this issue; I'll report this to the Health department.

And I noticed that direct accumulated inside the front two doors and the body behind the doors, also noticed that dirt accumulated behind the tailgate entered the bed from the two holes in the back were the Tie-down loops are behind the storage boxes on both sides. So if I have food or anything in the bed; it will get contaminated; also this will lead into rust from the salt they spray in winter time. This means I have to continually wash behind the doors. This is a big JOKE NISSAN

Hopefully Nissan will respond with a solution to these issues; before it goes further.
Dont hold your breath! most of the dealer techs are inexperienced and underpaid mechanic wannabes with no real clue how things work or how to fix them

·
Registered
334 Posts

NTB16056 is the Service Bulletin for fuel smell in the cabin, sounds like your dealer just doesn't wanna look it up

You'll find a lot of good info on the diesels over at http://www.titanxdforum.com/forum/

·
Registered
24 Posts
"Advertised fuel economy ". It's a V8, and the Titan is a heavy truck. The mileage will suck regardless what the window sticker says....
My 2007 has 215,000 km on the clock. it gets 15 liters /100 km (16 usmpg) on the highway at 110 kph/2000 rpm and has done so since new. I think that's pretty good.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've driven a few with the newer VK56VD & 7 speed trans powertrain and what I've come to deduce unscientifically is: more power = lower mileage. I've never gotten to 14 mpg with my 2017 Armada, but it feels like it has 50 more HP than the two new Titan's I've driven... Titans got better mileage...

·
Registered
19 Posts
At first, my 2017 KC 2WD got 17, now, it is down to about 13.8 on average. It currently has 13,700 miles on it. I was hoping that it would be closer to the window sticker. But, I miss my old 2003 Frontier XE 2.4L 5 speed. It usually averaged 26.5mpg. I do seem to have a bad fan clutch that makes my Titan sound like a space shuttle taking off. Perhaps that might be the problem. Just new to the full sized truck. Still, even with the lower gas economy, I really like this truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2017 pro4x is still running 18+ on the highway and 14-16 in city. But if punched up to around 80mph on highway it runs same mpg as in city.

That is with 35k on truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
432 Posts
With a little more than 10k on my 2017 Single cab now I'm averaging just above 18 overall. The mileage indicator is quite accurate as well. I did a 70 mile roundtrip outing yesterday and got 21 going and 20.6 returning with the cruise set at 71.

·
Registered
306 Posts
my 05 CC is back to getting about 16-17 in the hills of VT.
203k miles, also did the coils and the plugs recently.
was getting about 13 (even after the coils and plugs) before I changed the broken evap purge valve

·
Registered
200 Posts
I just finished a 240mi (400 km) mostly highway loop today; average speed around 60mph. Mileage was 19.6 mpg (12l/100km). 4 passengers (incl driver) and about 100lb of gear in the bed. That's about normal for fall driving, mileage will plummet in a couple of weeks once temperatures start moving below freezing.

My mileage sucked initially because I always had my foot in it. I love the growl of this engine, and like to hear it as often as I can. Mileage also sucks for months around here due to extreme conditions (cold and snow). Over the winter, I probably got about 10mpg combined. Once spring arrived, and I started to drive more sensibly (I noticed that the owner of my gas station bought a new McLaren thanks to my lead foot) the mileage improved considerably.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone. I got my 2017 Titan SV 4x4 in December 2016. Since then I have had a very difficult time getting anywhere near the advertised fuel efficiency which is supposed to be 15 city, 21 highway, and 18 combined.

I have been getting on average 11mpg or max 13mpg average. I have been calculating this manually by tracking gasoline added and the odometer miles. The good news is that the Titan's computer seems very accurate in matching my 11mpg to 13mpg average.

The bad news is that no matter how conservatively I drive, even without passengers and with an empty bed, I am unable to get 15mpg much less 21mpg on highway driving.

I own 2019, Best mileage I can ever get is 13.5 or 13.8, that is out of the box, not hauling anything straight factory weight. You have to think that is garbage considering the current level of technology that is out there and implemented into these vehicles. Just another way car manufacturers are controlled and paid off by Big Bro & Oil companies, cant tell me in the 70's a guy made a heavier vehicle than this one travel 200 miles on 2 gallons a gas vs the technology we have access to now. In addition to how other countries have made diesel vehicles get 50 miles for a cup of cooking oil!! but banned here.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I own 2019, Best mileage I can ever get is 13.5 or 13.8, that is out of the box, not hauling anything straight factory weight. You have to think that is garbage considering the current level of technology that is out there and implemented into these vehicles. Just another way car manufacturers are controlled and paid off by Big Bro & Oil companies, cant tell me in the 70's a guy made a heavier vehicle than this one travel 200 miles on 2 gallons a gas vs the technology we have access to now. In addition to how other countries have made diesel vehicles get 50 miles for a cup of cooking oil!! but banned here.
Stop pushing that gas pedal! I consistently get 19 to 21 mpg with my '19. I am always accelerating slower than traffic and as soon as I see a red light ahead I let go of the gas and coast.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Technology hasn't really changed that much. Its still an internal combustion engine sucking in fuel and air. I'm only getting 15 mpg with my 2wd 06' but I do have a heavy foot. Don't buy a , what do the new ones put out now...390 hp? full sized brick of a truck and expect great mileage. Its just not going to happen despite all the marketing and other bullshit claims being made. I use mine as a second vehicle so MPG not a concern. If you want 'decent' mileage downgrade to a v6 mid size truck and if you want good mileage youll need a car. These EPA claims have never been particularly accurate in the first place but seem magnified on larger vehicles

21 - 40 of 40 Posts