Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's right, after about 50,000 miles my pinion "lost" one of it's teeth....Of course it gets better, after cracking open the rear cover, I find the TruTrac bolts on the rt side have just started to back off and hit the carrier bearing cap...

One of my reasons for sticking to the 3.73 gears was the theory that it would be stronger then the 4.10 because of the slightly larger pinion...so much for that...

I'm hoping the TT can be saved, the bearing cap cleaned up so the rear end can be re-built. If so, then the TruTrac will NOT go back in before plenty of red Loctite and safety wiring!!

Hoopers has started looking for parts late this after noon and I'll keep you updated with what goes on....Too bad I don't have $3000 for a 9" Currie set up...

My truck is my DD so it has to get back on the road...soon...

·
Registered
947 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what kind of mileage are you pulling with those 3.73s?... I average about 11 with the 2.94s, but I'm starting to believe that it couldn't possibly drop any lower than that.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just out of curiosity, what kind of mileage are you pulling with those 3.73s?.
My truck has been terrible on mileage since new...stock the best it was good for was about 15.5...cruise control freeway...

Now its down to 12 cruising at 65....and down to about 9.5-10 around town...

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a follow up...

Obtained a good used set of Dana Super 44 3.73 gears from Hoopers (Thanks Anthony!) and the TruTrac was fine and all the bolts plenty tight...

Re-assembled everything late Fri night....

Why did the pinion fail?.....When a piece like this breaks, it doesn't just crack then hold up for awhile...There had been no significant event like a burn-out or landing hard under power from a jump...it just went...

I believe it was most likely due to plain old fatigue..after 50,000 plus miles of heavy usage it just failed. I don't know how many full throttle burn-outs across intersections, and a lot of hi torque starts from just about every light...

Time to start looking at viable options...

Reactions: titanridinghigh
1 - 5 of 5 Posts