Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just checked the oil in my truck and there is barely any oil on the dipstick. Just so you know I stand next to both of my vehicles while they are getting the oil changed to make sure nobody rips my oil off and I know that they put the right amount in. I am about to have the motor replaced in my Altima due to excessive oil consumption (2 quarts in 400 miles). The Altima has had all the cats replaced on it along with the O2 sensors. My Titan has already had both sides manifold's replaced due to the cats falling apart, my truck has 23k miles. So I am wondering if these problems ultimately result in oil consumption? Also will flooring it burn that much oil? The oil level is below the low mark right at the first curve on the dipstick. Can anyone give me some feedback or personal knowledge about this problem so I can figure this out.

I am starting to get worried with Nissan because the last time I was at the dealership there was a 350Z and a newer Frontier both getting new motors.

Thanks, Justin
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
34,534 Posts
Titan5683 said:
I just checked the oil in my truck and there is barely any oil on the dipstick. Just so you know I stand next to both of my vehicles while they are getting the oil changed to make sure nobody rips my oil off and I know that they put the right amount in. I am about to have the motor replaced in my Altima due to excessive oil consumption (2 quarts in 400 miles). The Altima has had all the cats replaced on it along with the O2 sensors. My Titan has already had both sides manifold's replaced due to the cats falling apart, my truck has 23k miles. So I am wondering if these problems ultimately result in oil consumption? Also will flooring it burn that much oil? The oil level is below the low mark right at the first curve on the dipstick. Can anyone give me some feedback or personal knowledge about this problem so I can figure this out.

I am starting to get worried with Nissan because the last time I was at the dealership there was a 350Z and a newer Frontier both getting new motors.

Thanks, Justin
You are still under warranty. Take it in. I'm afraid your cats have lunched your engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,635 Posts
yeah i doubt id go back there for an oil change and if you were that uptight about doing it right do it yourself.. i mean i dont do it myself but i bet it feels great knowing you can do it and save a few bucks... also my friends sentra went in for an oil change and they forgot to put and oil at all !!! she got a new motor ASAP !!! lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
killcatzforfun said:
yeah i doubt id go back there for an oil change and if you were that uptight about doing it right do it yourself.. i mean i dont do it myself but i bet it feels great knowing you can do it and save a few bucks... also my friends sentra went in for an oil change and they forgot to put and oil at all !!! she got a new motor ASAP !!! lol
It's about not getting dirty and waiting for it to cool down and disposing of the oil afterwards. Like I said, I watch them perform the oil change so it has nothing to do with them. I don't do my own oil changes due to the fact of my CC&R's are very strict about you working on a vehicle in the golf course community I live in. I am on a personal basis with this guy he only charges me $8.95 because I bring my own synthetic oil and Nissan filter (Dealer wants $30 no matter what) to them and it is not the dealership who does it. When I bought my Altima from the dealer in which I bought my truck, I got this crazy idea to check my oil about a week later and what do ya know NOTHING shows on the dipstick. Thats a big part of why that motor is being replaced.

Have any Titan motors had to be replaced yet that anyone knows about
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,635 Posts
i heard one guy on here have his motor replaced for the same reason i think.. and btw i wasnt ragging on you. im not to the point where i want to watch them change my oil but rather not do it myself incase i screw something up it wont be on my dime lol...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only codes my truck have ever thrown were for the cats and nothing since they have been replaced. I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys before I go talk to the dealer. Other than the brake problem and the cats my truck has been very good to me. This sucks both of my Nissan's are now burning oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
killcatzforfun said:
i heard one guy on here have his motor replaced for the same reason i think.. and btw i wasnt ragging on you. im not to the point where i want to watch them change my oil but rather not do it myself incase i screw something up it wont be on my dime lol...
I apologize if I came off rude or harsh I know what ya meant. I just read what I typed and it seemed that way. I just watch them do it for peace of mind and they help take really good care of my vehicles.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
34,534 Posts
Titan5683 said:
I apologize if I came off rude or harsh I know what ya meant. I just read what I typed and it seemed that way. I just watch them do it for peace of mind and they help take really good care of my vehicles.
So, does your truck emit smoke? Is there residue on the tailpipe and fender?

Wonder what your plugs look like?

There are at least one or two on here that have had their engines replaced because they ingested some of the Cats stuffing, do a search.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually when I was leaving work the other day and got on it my buddy was following me and told me the next day that a big black puff came out of the tailpipe. I don't know why but I thought maybe it was raw fuel because I have seen other cars do it when they accelerate. Probably oil then you suppose?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
34,534 Posts
Titan5683 said:
Actually when I was leaving work the other day and got on it my buddy was following me and told me the next day that a big black puff came out of the tailpipe. I don't know why but I thought maybe it was raw fuel because I have seen other cars do it when they accelerate. Probably oil then you suppose?
If you aren't burning it then you have a leak. And puddles or drips under your truck?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No leaks or puddles, completely dry around the filter and everything. I am going to take it into the dealer sometime this week and see what they have to say. They are making me drive 500 miles in my Altima after THEY changed the oil just so they can document the oil consumption, a new motor is in the bag for sure. I suppose they will make me do the same thing for my truck, does this sound like a standard procedure?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,298 Posts
Just curious, how many quarts of oil do you supply for the oil change with the filter? There have been some people in here not using the correct amount. I'm not saying this is your issue but would like to know just to clear this aspect.

Clint
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I take them 7 qts with a Nissan filter. I believe it uses 6.5 qts. They put 6 qts in, check the dipstick and fill as needed. Pretty much have a 1/2qt left over every time. Does this sound right? How many quarts do you guys use?

I talked to Jose today at Nissan and he's pretty sure that were going to have to replace this motor also from the sound of things. Bummer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
With the previous cat and exhaust manifold replacement I'd take it to the dealer immediately and ask for start asking for a new warranty replacement engine. Sounds like at least one of the cats just past the manifolds started to disintegrate due to improper assembly of the cat which sucks the 'sand' back into the engine through the EGR system. If you get enough 'sand blast' back into the engine you'll end up with excessive oil consumption. You just caught it before you ran too low on oil and blew the engine. Nissan isn't the only OEM that faces this problem, it is inherent to many 'hot' cat designs and the manufacturer's are very aware of the problems this epa mandated 'hot' cat brought to the table. Ah..the price of progress...lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey just a little update on the truck, they are going to replace the engine as soon as I get my car back from them in which they are replacing the engine on that too. I had to put 4 quarts in my truck last saturday and didn't even drive 500 of the 1000 miles that they wanted me to. I'm glad I checked the oil before I left to Knott's Berry Farm last weekend or I think this ****er would have blown up on me. Sorry guy's I love my Nissan's I really do but it's not looking good right now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Titan5683 said:
Hey just a little update on the truck, they are going to replace the engine as soon as I get my car back from them in which they are replacing the engine on that too. I had to put 4 quarts in my truck last saturday and didn't even drive 500 of the 1000 miles that they wanted me to. I'm glad I checked the oil before I left to Knott's Berry Farm last weekend or I think this ****er would have blown up on me. Sorry guy's I love my Nissan's I really do but it's not looking good right now
Man, it's hard to blame you for being down on the brand with 2 separate vehicles having engines replaced in them. Don't know where your altima was assembled, or the year model, but if it was Canton, MS it explains a lot. It is well known fact this issue first got identified as an issue in vehicles assembled at that plant. If you haven't already called the 800 number and complained about all this I'd get on the line and give them a chance to make it right. Yeah, they are only obliged to fix your vehicles and maybe provide something to drive during the repairs per the warranty, but if they want to keep you as a customer they can and usually will do more. Put the ball in their court and see what happens. I can't share why I know these things but just my 2 cents...and good luck. I can say this, the engines assembled at the Decherd plant are second to none from Quality standpoint, your problems on both these vehicles were parts bolted on at the vehicle assembly plant. Little consolation now, but hope this helps.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top