Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I find myself in the market for a new-ish truck. I'm interested in the Nissan Titan, but don't personally know anyone that owns one. I've found some good deals on a few 2018-2019 Pro 4X with anywhere from 20,000 - 35,000 miles. Some are CPO Nissan dealers and some are not. Roughly, $29k ~ $33k in price, depending on mileage and CPO or not. Like I said, I personally don't know anyone who owns a Titan, but reading and searching the forums I've noticed a number of issues with the engine, among other complaints. Should these issues keep me away from a Titan? I appreciate any input or review you all might have. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,611 Posts
I’m going on 2 years in a week, I’ve gone 47,500 miles and absolutely would buy another one. My truck has been a pleasure to own.

Clint

·
Registered
2017 Titan SL - Crewcab 4x2
5 Posts
I just picked up 2017 Titan SL with 28k miles on it. The previous owner had a craply tint job done to it, buy its seems to run great so far. I also read someone the issues that have happened to other Titan owners, but it didnt stop me.
I love the truck and how it looks. I find myself going into the garage just to look at it.

·
Premium Member
3,611 Posts
It has a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty, it’s their problem for a long time.

Clint

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a 2016 XD diesel I ran until 150,000 miles and sold it for a 2017 Gasser XD. Both P4x's. Absolutely LOVE these trucks. Personally having owned both the diesel and the gasser, I love the gasser. OVerall, I can't recommend these trucks enough. Just get a good extended warranty and go drive it. Awesome trucks. Coming from me, a previous F150 owner, Ram 1500 owner, and Tundra owner - I've bought back to back Titan XDs P4Xs for my last 2 trucks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Happy owner here as well. I admit that I wouldn't be too thrilled if my truck had to be torn apart to have the short block replaced, but it seems that the people on this forum who have had their engines replaced don't have much of any issues pop up afterward, so that's reassuring. The standard 100,000 mile warranty is also nice.

Aside from the engine knock issue looming, these are pretty reliable trucks. I'd say more reliable than the big 3, but the Tundra seems to be the reliability king these days. I personally like the way the Titan drives more than the other trucks that I've driven. The RAM is really nice to drive, but they have many more issues and I hear nightmares about their service departments. Plus the warranty isn't as long.

·
Registered
65 Posts
2019 P4x here. After 1 year and 15,000 miles I still love the truck. As your shopping make sure you educate yourself about the difference between the Titan and the Titan XD. And also the differences between the 2018 and 2019 models especially their entertainment systems.
The 2019 has Fender audio with android auto and apple CarPlay and a bigger screen. The 2018 is Rockford Fosgate and not android or apple. But the general consensus is the Rockford Fosgate is a better sounding system. I think the fender in mine is very good, but I test drove a 2018 with Rockford Fosgate and that one was excellent. Ultimately I decided the Android and Apple support and bigger screen was worth a slight reduction in sound.
Also the pro-4x can be had with lots of different option configurations. You can get them with cloth and few options or you can get them loaded with leather so they're kind of hard to compare one to another without getting into the details of what each truck has.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 NISSAN TITAN PRO 4X
35 Posts
Well I am probably one of the newest Titan owners. Three months ago purchased my first ever Nissan, a 2020 Pro4x. I traded a 2015 XLT F150. What sold me was the 5yr/100,000 bumper to bumper warranty. That basically told me Nissan stands behind their product. I have done dealer trades for the last three years as a secondary job on my days off. I always liked the Titan but the interior just seemed dated compared to the F150. With the 2020 refresh, I can say Nissan has surpassed the current F150. I can't speak of past years but the seats in this truck are the best I have ever sat on. I would drive a 1,000 miles a day without hesitation. With this new Titan I have only had an issue with the new 9-speed tranny hunting for a gear occasionally between 25-35 mph. Im sure there will be a PCM update or something for that in the future. I am very pleased with my purchase and see it being a solid truck for years to come. Another thing is I never see a Titan sitting outside the shop at my local dealer for extensive repairs. I'll see a truck occasionally left over night and gone the next day, figured it's just an oil change. Go for it!

Sent from my Note 10+ using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I put almost 400k miles on my '04 before I traded it in on an '18 almost a year ago. Never seriously considered another make. I did drive an F150 a year or 2 ago. I wasn't impressed at all, even compared to my (then) 15-year old truck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the real world feedback! So far I've just been looking at the 5.6L gas Titan. I agree the 100k mile/ 5 year warranty is a huge selling point and peace of mind if anything. I do like the refreshed look of the 2020 model and may wait closer to the end of the year for some possible deals. Thanks again!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 2018 SV 4x4 that I bought 13 months and 12k miles ago. There were big rebates and discounts at the time, as the 2019‘s had been out for several months. The price, warranty, comfort, and power are what sold me. The truck has been great and I have no complaints. Everyone that has ridden in it has been impressed with the ride comfort and the price I paid compared to other brands.

·
Registered
175 Posts
2017 Platinum Reserve 4x4. Love the truck. Sure... Could have the engine issue down the road but I have another 3 years or 75k more mileage left to see it. Had some smaller stuff all warrantied. Sure there's still things mentioned on the forums that are known issues but I love the truck. Get compliments and questions on it often. Mainly asking how I like it....

I use it as a daily driver and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a new to me 2017 titan SV last weekend. 38k on the clock, was a lease return. Seems like the mileage is past any of the engine knock troubles out there so that’s what I’m hoping for. The 2 years and 60k miles of remaining warranty is huge, and no other brand would have that after 3 years. To me they are an awesome truck, I like driving it, the handling is excellent and the ride is great. I was out the door at $24k which to me was an absolute steal in this day and age.

·
Registered
2019 Titan PRO4X
28 Posts
A little over 3 months into my 2019 Pro4X. No regrets. Extremely pleased. Hands down the best truck I’ve ever had, and that’s a long list of make and models.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I originally bought a 2017 Titan Platinum 4x4 CC and about 3 weeks ago traded it for a 2019 Titan XD Midnight 4x4 CC. Honestly the 17 was faster smoother quieter and pulled a boat with no problems. Had virtually zero problems. And it honestly was a pleasure to drive very day. The downside was it has a 5.6" bed with a small payload as I want to put a camper in there it was extremely limiting.

The XD I am getting used to its stiffer, higher off the ground, does have the Cummings diesel in it. But so far the milage is about 4mpg better than the passer.

If I had to do it all.over I'd probably look for a extended cab (not crew cab) Platinum with the long bed gas. The ride is awesome.

Additionally there are more aftermarket parts for the XD than the standard truck and they do have different frames.

Good Luck

·
Registered
978 Posts
i bought my '04 new in Feb '05 with an extended warranty that i believe i paid $1700~ for. Had the front rotors replaced at 20K under recall and the cats/headers replaced at 95K under extended warranty. Other than a couple leaking pinion seals, and the ventilation flapper soleniod issue i have had no problems with the truck. It just rolled 180K, its never burnt a drop of oil, oil changes every 7.5K with the cheapest named brand synthetic (usually mobil1 or Napa brand), OEM or Napa gold filter, air filter once a year. Truck runs flawlessly, plan on keeping it for another 2-4 years at least.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just traded in a 2012 Titan SL 4x4 about a month ago on my 2019 Titan Platinum Reserve 4x4 with 4k miles on it. The deal I got seemed too good to be true. My 2012 was a good truck, but the AC needed some work and the exhaust manifolds were likely to crack in the next 1-2 years... So I upgraded.

Coming from the 1st Gen Titan, I can say that the 2nd Gen is a big step up. The seats are more comfortable, the plastics feel less plasticy, the Fender sound system is much better than the Rockford in the 1st gen. I miss having a Sunroof, but its a minor loss in the grand scheme of things. I gained Cooled Seats, Heated Steering Wheel, Titan Boxes, 7 speed automatic instead of 5 speed and Android Auto... So I am happy with the trade off.

My 2019 was built in 8/2019, so I am hoping I won't have the engine issues others have had along the way.

5 years, 100k mile Bumper to Bumper Warranty from new means if you can find a 2018 that was bought in 2019 and has low miles, you wont have much to worry about for some time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A little over a year ago I bought a new 2018 SL CC 4×4 for around 33% off list. I would have paid a lot more for a similarly equipped F150, Ram 1500 or GM twins. Truth is I generally don't need this much truck but I still would have paid more for a similarly equipped Tacoma, Raptor (turbo 4 is also a turn off for me), Canyon or Colorado. The Ridgeline is chopped minivan and was never considered. The Gladiator, to me, is ugly & Jeeps have harsh rides. So I got the best deal on the Titan however, i was already leaning towards a Titan anyway because I always loved the styling, the ride is great for a truck, the V8 sounds great and move even better. In addition I liked the interior, storage and the sound system rocks. Yes, it's lacking on safety features but I've gone my whole life without lane assist & auto breaking so I'm ok with it. I do wish it had Android Auto and a clearer, brighter screen but I'll survive. The other thing that I noticed was the disparity in the reviews. Experts would knock it for the lack of back seat leg room & lower payload & towing capacity vs the rivals. Of course they never mentioned that you usually needed an upgraded engine on the rivals to surpass the Titan in towing and sometimes payload. As for the back seat, I'm usually alone but my kids who are both over 6 feet can sit behind me with plenty of space and have never kneed me in the back or complained about a lack of leg room. So while the experts knocked the Titan, the people that owned them loved them. I don't expect to tow to often so I have no issues there. There might be a couple of times where I come close to maxing out the hauling capabilities but I'm not too worried about it. Another thing that I liked is that amongst the full sized trucks the Titan has the smallest footprint. That's good for me because the lot I usually park in has narrow spots so a wider truck will get more dings. I do have some concerns about the need for an engine repair a year or 2 from now but right now everything Is fine & I still have 4 years and a lot of miles to go on the warranty. So I love my Titan and will recommend it to anyone who is open to driving something not produced by the Big 3.

·
Registered
22 Posts
ElBudman, your comment sounds like I wrote it. I had all the same thoughts and bought my 2018 SV 4X4 CC new in April of 2019, when rebates and dealer markdowns made it too good to pass up. I got a new truck with everything I wanted on it and 5yr/100k warranty for what a lot of used trucks were priced at. We are very happy with it thus far, and have no regrets.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts