Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. In a couple days I might buy a 2009 Titan SE. I est drove it today and it seems in pretty good shape. Its a rebuilt title because the original owner got T-boned and had to have the driver side front and rear doors replaced. I spent a good amount of time under the truck looking for damage to the Uni-body and could not see any. The engine and tranny seem to be in great shape. No visual leaks anywhere and it idles and shifts smooth. My biggest worry is it has the stock exhaust manifolds and cats. I have read horror stories about the engine potentially getting destroyed from back pressure from crumbling cats getting sucked into the engine?? Is this all real or fear tactics from exhaust sellers? How hard would it be to cut open the side of the cats, gut them then weld the side piece back in place and put in O2 sensor spacers to keep the check engine light off? Just need Here is the truck listing. The guy is offering it to me for $9500 is this a god buy or should I run?

·
Premium Member
20,431 Posts
Leaking OEM exhaust manifolds is real. If the engine is cold, you'll hear the leak on startup. You may also smell unburned fuel. Manifolds can be replaced with headers, but with headers you need a tune.

I would be less concerned with the manifolds than the lift, which has the potential to accelerate wear and tear on the suspension and the driveline in the case of bigger tires and wheels.

·
Registered
2012 SL, Texas Edition, Big Tow, Blizzard white, Tastefully modded (in my own expert opinion, lol)!
265 Posts
Private party KBB for a that truck in good condition WITHOUT a rebuilt title is right around $11,500. The typical value reduction for a rebuilt title is between 20% and 50%. That means you should be looking at paying $5750 to a MAXIMUM of $9200 IF the truck is in good condition. That's not even accounting for the BIG questions of how well the lift has been done and how hard the truck's been driven (big lift and tires on a used truck = it's been driven rough). Paying $9500 for that truck with a rebuilt title would be crazy. You won't even be able to get full coverage insurance. If someone hits you, their insurance will pay you pennies on the dollar, because the truck has already been deemed a total loss before. If the person who hits you is uninsured, then you're just hosed, because your insurance won't pay you a thin dime. If you can pick it up for around $6-7K and can accept that it's a throw-away truck, then go for it. Otherwise, run the other way as fast as you can!

·
Registered
2008 Titan Pro 4x W/ JBA long tube headers, Cajun Tuning B-Pipes, Magnaflow mufflers, UpRev tuned
19 Posts
Leaking OEM exhaust manifolds is real. If the engine is cold, you'll hear the leak on startup. You may also smell unburned fuel. Manifolds can be replaced with headers, but with headers you need a tune.

I would be less concerned with the manifolds than the lift, which has the potential to accelerate wear and tear on the suspension and the driveline in the case of bigger tires and wheels.
You said when the engine is cold you would hear the exhaust leak on start up right? What sound am I listening for, a "tapping" sound or is it something else?

·
Premium Member
20,431 Posts
You said when the engine is cold you would hear the exhaust leak on start up right? What sound am I listening for, a "tapping" sound or is it something else?
It has been likened to a card-in-spokes sounds. Kind of like a Pfft, pfft. On mine, the smell was the main indicator.

Reactions: Constable

·
Registered
2004 Titan SE 4x4 Big Tow
62 Posts
Second on the smell. If your smeller works well you will notice that before the tick since injectors and the valve train can be loud at times.

·
Registered
2008 Titan Pro 4x W/ JBA long tube headers, Cajun Tuning B-Pipes, Magnaflow mufflers, UpRev tuned
19 Posts
Thanks for the info mates

1 - 7 of 7 Posts