Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know/have a suggestion as to whether I should remove the wheel weights before powder coating the rims? Is there anything bad about leaving them on/taking them off?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I had a friend that was so anal he painted his weights to match his rims. He just took a black "sharpie" and used the pointed tip to locate the wt. by putting it in the hole in wt. they use to remove it and leaving a dot there on the rim so he could realign it. He did them one at a time so he didn't mess them up. It turned out very nice but he had to do it every time he got it rebalanced. :crying:

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
You need to remove them.
They are removed every time your wheels are balanced.
If you don't, you'll end up with part of your wheel not being powder coated!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am going to be putting different rubber on them afterward, so they are going to have to be balanced again anyway. Question is: will the weights melt when they bake the powder coat? Or do I even care, knowing that they will need to be redone with the new tires?

·
Registered
390 Posts
they wouldnt melt, but they would slide off when they bake them in the oven...and that would screw up your powder coat. but any shop that knows the first thing about powder coat would remove them before hand. And some companies even bake them in the oven before powdercoat to make sure nothing is going to run out (oils/plastics) on the wheel during final process. come on guys:domohit:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good advice guys, thanks.
I just talked to the first shop to give me a reasonable price quote ($70/wheel) and they are going to bake them first to get the old paint off. If I don't take the weights off, they will charge more for 'mechanical disassembly' so it looks like they are coming off.

I am thinking about getting the step tubes coated at the same time so they are exactly the same color. What do you all think?

·
Registered
718 Posts
grnTitan04 said:
I am thinking about getting the step tubes coated at the same time so they are exactly the same color. What do you all think?
Do it! I had my wheels powder coated black. They look great, but the step bars now really stand out against the black tires and wheels. Wish I had had my bars done at the same time.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the first glimpse of the finished product (in my sig).
came out pretty good I think, I will have to post more pics next week with a different camera.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sounds like you are ready to spend $$ powder-coating the wheels but are too cheap to have the wheels re-balanced after said powder-coating?

If that's the case, don't paint the wheels. Balancing costs what, $10 per wheel? If you can't afford $40, you can't afford to powder-coat the wheels, really.

Otherwise, have them re-balanced after painting. Paint changes the balance unless it is VERY consistently painted. Possible, but unlikely. Sort of like getting a set of 4 tires that don't need to be balanced bacause they already are from the factory ... it is not likely.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Umm... I did have them powder coated, look at the pic 1cm above your post... :confused:

The whole issue was that I did not want the weights to stay silver, but I painted them after the balancing was done with some touch up paint so you can't see them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts