Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I've had many items powder coated over the years with no issues. I started using a closer place to powder coat stuff and I'm running into an issue. They just powdercoated a set of 17" wheels black and they came out perfect. They also powder coated some metal stuff I was building and have no issues. I just recently dropped off factory 20" wheels (30 days ago), and there still not done. They tried to sandblast a few times and powdercoat, but the wheels bubbled and the fishish came right off. They tried 2-3 times now with no luck. Now they want to send the wheels out for an additional $35.00 a wheel to get them chemically dipped. Does this sound right and has anyone else had to do this? I'm sure it is, but now I have to spend 140.00 on top of the wheels and powder coating. I'm beginning to think this is not worth it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
are they chrome wheels? If so, my buddy had to send his off to have the chrome removed so the powder would stick.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are they chrome wheels? If so, my buddy had to send his off to have the chrome removed so the powder would stick.
No, just factory finish 20". I had them dipped and now waiting to see the outcome. Hopefully I can pick them up this week. I need tires. My 18" are getting really low.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The factory finish is a powdercoat and to properly adhere the new powder the first must be removed with a chemical dip. I paid $25 for the dip and another $35 for the powder coat job. I was in the same boat you were, tires losing tread and getting new tires to put on freshly powdercoated black wheels. I was rushing.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The factory finish is a powdercoat and to properly adhere the new powder the first must be removed with a chemical dip. I paid $25 for the dip and another $35 for the powder coat job. I was in the same boat you were, tires losing tread and getting new tires to put on freshly powdercoated black wheels. I was rushing.
So you only had to pay 60 for powdercoating? Wow that's cheap. I called a few shops around and most wanted $65-100 a wheel to powder coat and another $25-35 for the Chemical dip. Need I say I'm paying nearly twice as much as you... Oh well it is what it is. I should have left the factory finish alone, but I wanted to be different...... As if I'm not already different :huh::bangit:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts