Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post. thanks for the help that I get to read here.

I have an 05 Titan LE Crew Cab with Big Tow package (tranny cooler etc). I tow a 4500 lb (loaded) travel trailer from time to time.

I noticed it on my first time towing I was going up some big mountains (rocky mountains in canada). and chugging along in D and it suddenly lost power going up the hill. No visible reason, temperature on everything was fine. I made it up the mountain and got to camping, did some reading and learned a few things. A) don't tow in D. B) going up big hills I supposedly need to keep the revs up and so need to go to 3 and even 2 for the really steep hills. Did that and it seemed to work fine.

Went driving not so long ago, same hill, no trailer, just me and a buddy and a bit of lighter camping type gear in the truck, far from a heavy load. Cruise control, did the same loss of power. Gear shifted down and was fine up the hill after that.

Asked the mechanic and the dealer to look at it, he said it sounds odd, but didn't find any codes to suggest a problem.

So:
A) Is this normal?
B) Either way, why does it happen?
C) If it needs to be revved up higher, why doesn't it just shift down as needed.

·
Premium Member
69,439 Posts
Sounds normal to me. The torque curve is pretty high on our engines. Always tow in 4 when in hills, and never have cruise on. Let the engine rev, and watch the fuel gauge move fast. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! What causes the weird drop in power? Is it just some kind of internal protection thing? Even when I'm not on cruise and I have the pedal down it still cuts, even without town in overdrive on these big hills, and from what I saw, I needed to go down to 3 or 2 even to tow up the hill. It won't just shift down itself?

·
Premium Member
69,439 Posts
It lugs because of the torque curve. It will shift itself, but that's when the trans temp goes crazy. Best to keep it in the power range by downshifting if you feel it starting to stumble.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I mean I would describe it as a near total loss in driving power, like it just gives out suddenly. Letting go of the gas, and downshifting and then hitting the gas, gets it going again, but other than it its like I might as well not be pressing the pedal.

·
Registered
2004 Titan SE 4x4 Big Tow
56 Posts
I don’t mean to hijack, but can this also happen unloaded? Mine feels like it falls on its face when I hit 5th at anything under 60 and grabbing 4th without moving the shifter is more difficult than it should be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts