Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have/had a leak in my power steering someplace and I stopped by Carquest a few days ago to get some fluid to hold me over until I could get it in the shop. The sales person told me to try the fluid with the sealer in it first to see if that would correct the leak. I was skeptical but it seems to have worked. I haven't leaked any fluid in the past three days. Should I still take it in or just let it be until I see another leak? I saw another post where a guy said he had like 30k miles since using this stuff and he still didn't have a leak.

I know nothing about cars and am afraid this stuff might do some long term damage. That and I can't believe a $10 bottle of fluid fixed the problem.

·
Premium Member
75,102 Posts
Here's the way I feel about "fluid sealers".

If they seal the leak, what else are they capable of sealing? IE the lines, pump components, etc.

I'd get it fixed right and chase down the leak.

My titan seems to lose a bit of fluid when the temperatures dip and I usually just top it off. To date I haven't found a leak that would cause the fluid to drop.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking the same thing. How does this stuff know to fill a crack and not the entire hose? I for sure had a leak someplace in the line, because my skid plate is covered along with my oil filter. I also noticed it on my driveway. At first I thought it was oil but I noticed that my power steering reservoir was really low, plus my oil level has stayed the same.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Power steering pressure hose is leaking, it's typical. It goes from the pump to the rack. You can get it from the dealer for about $180 (don't know what aftermarket charges). You can install it yourself, but it's a pain in the but if you have never done it before.

·
Registered
390 Posts
...and Nissan's typically use ATF for the power steering system.

You SHOULD NOT be using normal power steering (clear) fluid...or any of those "sealers", since they are for power steering fluid - i.e., not for a Nissan.

- Brian

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
The pressure hose is $108 + shipping at mynissanparts I was in AutoZone recently and they had a poster on the door for Duralast Power Steering Hose. I asked if they had one for the Titan and they looked it up and said no. I told them they should make one because alot of them are failing. They guy said he would put in a request. Maybe if everybody puts in a request at Autozone it will help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts