Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, my power steering resevoir has been leaking lately and it seems like it is leaking from the top? Any ideas? I checked the green O ring and it seems fine, but maybe I will replace it just to be sure.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
is the cap tightened down? i would assume you checked it for being over filled while hot and cold right? if so, take the cap off, look at were the threads are on the bottle as well as the cap and look for any cracks. could be hard to see. if thats good, like you said, replace the O ring. if that doesnt work, get a new cap as well...or just buy both the first time. if none of those work and its not over filled...you got me.

how much is leaking out?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It leaked out enough to make it drop below the "min" level marker.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
ya thats quite a bit...

the cap is completely on when you hear it click btw.

take the truck out, warm up the power steering fluid a bit, then pop the hood and have someone cycle the steering to see if you can see the leak in progress. moving the wheels while the truck is still requires the most pressure. also make sure the feed and return lines are tight. those little clamps can get weaker over time.

also, whenever you find the leak, i would completely flush and re-service the system to be safe. small contaminants can really irritate the system. good luck. maybe others will have better ideas or experience.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot man!! Thats really good info :)

·
Premium Member
20,599 Posts
Wow, this is odd. The cap in my '91 Ranger does the same thing and I've been posting over at the Ranger forum for answers. The O-ring is one suggested solution as is adding a vent tube to the cap to give the pump/reservoir some expansion capability.

Why does this happen? One theory on the Ranger forum was that it happened when you turned the steering wheel without the engine running. I tried that on my Ranger and the theory didn't hold up.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How often do people turn the steering wheel without the engine running? LoL

·
Premium Member
20,599 Posts
How often do people turn the steering wheel without the engine running? LoL
Hyper-miling. The first few blocks from my house are all downhill.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's hyper-miling? LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts