Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lifted my wife's Titan in late December using the ProComp 6 inch lift and Rough Country Traction Bars. 3 weeks after the lift she developed a "clunking sound" when she would take off from a stop. Finely figured out it was the damn traction bars making the nosy! I find it hard to believe the hiems are bad already as she has only put about 900 miles on the truck since the lift was installed.

My question is do I need to preload the bars when I installed them? Since the bars are threaded the same on both ends how would I go about "preloading" them?

I already pulled the trigger and ordered the PRG Hiems but just read that they will be to short!!! I'm not interest in welding on the frame of this truck so I'm not sure about the PRG Hiems now!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
21 Posts
The PRG heims are not going to make it too short to use. I have used them for years back in the day with no issues.

To properly preload the trac bars you need to install the bars while the truck is sitting on the ground NOT up on a lift. You want to equally space each heim into the bars. Then install the bars and tuen the bar till there is just a SNUG amount of tention on the heims. DO NOT TWIST THE BAR TILL IT STOPS. Just need a bit of preload. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I'm confused! Once I put the bolts in turning the bar does nothing. The traction bars I got have right hand thread heim joints on each end. There for if you leave the jam nuts lose and turn the actual bar with both heim joint bolted in nothing happens other than moving the bar forwards or backwards. In order to preload or unload the bars one end would have to be left hand threads.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You are correct. On that setup you just want the hole far enough out so you have to tap the bolt in. THis is why i got rid of that setup totally and went with a setup i helped put together for our Titans with Smith Racecraft!
Here is the link. Two kits available. One for flip kits and one for non Flip kits. Venom Series.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts