Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking to do a long travel set up on my 2006 i have a buddy that wants to fab up everything i have been looking at all the kits that are out there plus the fenders rearend stuff lighting i am looking to see if there is anyone out there that has done a completly custom setup if so any issues ...i am weighing it out to see if i should just buy the prg kit and fab up everthing else i am set on the giat kit for the rear ... and has any one heard of FAB shocks ... and which fenders are the best looking for the price or should i do a clip in the front

·
Registered
14,150 Posts
Post this up in the prerunner thread, they have the best answers. For fenders "mextitan" has been selling fenders for cheap. I know of one guy on here who has built his own set up on his titan, nickw619 is his screen name.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
i am looking to do a long travel set up on my 2006 i have a buddy that wants to fab up everything i have been looking at all the kits that are out there plus the fenders rearend stuff lighting i am looking to see if there is anyone out there that has done a completly custom setup if so any issues ...i am weighing it out to see if i should just buy the prg kit and fab up everthing else i am set on the giat kit for the rear ... and has any one heard of FAB shocks ... and which fenders are the best looking for the price or should i do a clip in the front
If you have experience fabbing then I would say go ahead but if you are still new I would be cautious. Suspension is something you dont want to mess up on since if it fails it you may end up be a totaled truck and/or you in the hostpital.

I built my own kit a while back and isnt too bad as long as you know what you are doing. Heres a pic of mine.

If its your first suspension use all the stock points and just build you arms how ever many inches over you want. Mine is strapped at 13.5" with the inner fenders still intact and running the stock inner ball joint. The titans are not capable of a lot of travel due to the long spindle and if you are gonna build your suspension and use it I would say do it right the first time.

To get the full travel out of the titan you need to drop the upper arm about 5.5" to the frame and shorten the spindle to the correct lenght. You not longer have your stock points so your geometry is gonna change and you need to know how to fix it so I would only suggest this if you have built suspension before. With this set up its roughly capable of about 18" Heres that set up I am currently working on customers truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the help my buddy has built a longtravel car and worked with long travel trucks i havent done much fab work but hes up in vegas and sees prerunners all daylong i am just wondering if i should just by the kits and have him fab up the hoops engine cage and bed cage i am just trying to save a little cash prgs kit is 2000 without shocks and giants kit is 2000 without shocks we were just wanting to kno if anyone has run into problems with the kits .... my trucks is goinh to see the dunes alot ... and also tow a trailer...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nick did you make custom spindles

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
thanks for the help my buddy has built a longtravel car and worked with long travel trucks i havent done much fab work but hes up in vegas and sees prerunners all daylong i am just wondering if i should just by the kits and have him fab up the hoops engine cage and bed cage i am just trying to save a little cash prgs kit is 2000 without shocks and giants kit is 2000 without shocks we were just wanting to kno if anyone has run into problems with the kits .... my trucks is goinh to see the dunes alot ... and also tow a trailer...

Most people that have the prg kit like it but its more of a street kit than most kits. It runs the stock ball joint instead of a uniball which will bind up quicker than a uniball. It also uses the stock ball joint for the steering which is not as good as running heims. The upper arm limits the down travel and it is not set up for running a limit strap so your limiting the travel on the upper uniball or shock which is not a good idea. These can be fixed but your looking at another 1000 easy to convert it.

If you plan on offroading I would say to have your buddy fab you up a kit in which the upper arm mounts are lowered down to acheive more travel. You can also then run the right hardware and not have to worry about it offroading. It will probably cost you a little more but if your doing shock hoops and everything might as well do it right the first time.

On my kit I am not running a custom spindle just a stock one for now. On the kit I am building with the upper arm lowered I am shortening a cst lift spindle and adding a uniball mounted vertically up top and then trussing it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
he hasnt seen titans really for long travel, only chevys and fords, thats why i am asking if there are any big issues but what i am getting is move the arms closer so they are both longer similar to a quad to achieve the same articulation, have you seen or heard anything about FAB shocks my buddy wants me to run them cuz he can geat a deal on them but i have never heard of them i would like to ask these questions in the prerunners post but that thing is so big i get lost thanks for answering my questions ... and where are you located

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
he hasnt seen titans really for long travel, only chevys and fords, thats why i am asking if there are any big issues but what i am getting is move the arms closer so they are both longer similar to a quad to achieve the same articulation, have you seen or heard anything about FAB shocks my buddy wants me to run them cuz he can geat a deal on them but i have never heard of them i would like to ask these questions in the prerunners post but that thing is so big i get lost thanks for answering my questions ... and where are you located
Are you really thinking of FOA shocks :confused:

FOA OFF-ROAD Shock Absorbers

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
If you have experience fabbing then I would say go ahead but if you are still new I would be cautious. Suspension is something you dont want to mess up on since if it fails it you may end up be a totaled truck and/or you in the hostpital.

I built my own kit a while back and isnt too bad as long as you know what you are doing. Heres a pic of mine.

If its your first suspension use all the stock points and just build you arms how ever many inches over you want. Mine is strapped at 13.5" with the inner fenders still intact and running the stock inner ball joint. The titans are not capable of a lot of travel due to the long spindle and if you are gonna build your suspension and use it I would say do it right the first time.

To get the full travel out of the titan you need to drop the upper arm about 5.5" to the frame and shorten the spindle to the correct lenght. You not longer have your stock points so your geometry is gonna change and you need to know how to fix it so I would only suggest this if you have built suspension before. With this set up its roughly capable of about 18" Heres that set up I am currently working on customers truck.
/
I have given the PRG Mid Travel kit a workout for a few years now without any problems.The stock lower ball joints are still good, as well as the hub/bearing assemblies, tie rod ends and rack. If I remember I have 9" bump and 5" droop from ride height with the CST lift spindles. I bent the axle housing, but got that taken care of ;)

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
I've been running the PRG kit for a couple years with no issues also. I drive my truck in the dirt all the time and by no means am I easy on it. For the price its hard to beat the PRG kit and in no way would I say it's a street kit as Nick put it. It just doesn't look as cool as the kits that are running the heim in the spindle. Even at that without major steering up grades you aren't going to get that much more travel out of the stock steering rack without running into issues anyway.

As far as the rear, most people have gone with the Giant kit. I've never heard anything bad about other than it's expensive but so is everything else. That's what I plan on doing in the next couple months.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
I've been running the PRG kit for a couple years with no issues also. I drive my truck in the dirt all the time and by no means am I easy on it. For the price its hard to beat the PRG kit and in no way would I say it's a street kit as Nick put it. It just doesn't look as cool as the kits that are running the heim in the spindle. Even at that without major steering up grades you aren't going to get that much more travel out of the stock steering rack without running into issues anyway.

As far as the rear, most people have gone with the Giant kit. I've never heard anything bad about other than it's expensive but so is everything else. That's what I plan on doing in the next couple months.
Im not saying the prg kit is completely a street kit but it is geared more towards street than most kits. The reason I say that is how many long travel kits do you see that run the stock ball joint in the lower arm or will run a stock balljoint in the steering knuckle? I am around people though that have been working on and building suspension for 20+ years so maybe its just them starting to beat into my head that you have to make everything bullet proof. I know many people run that kit and have had not issues but im just saying its not a kit you would see from a high end company such as camburg but your also paying under half the price.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Im not saying the prg kit is completely a street kit but it is geared more towards street than most kits. The reason I say that is how many long travel kits do you see that run the stock ball joint in the lower arm or will run a stock balljoint in the steering knuckle? I am around people though that have been working on and building suspension for 20+ years so maybe its just them starting to beat into my head that you have to make everything bullet proof. I know many people run that kit and have had not issues but im just saying its not a kit you would see from a high end company such as camburg but your also paying under half the price.
I would say it's more of a mid travel kit than a street kit. LOL I guess Greg gave it it's name for a reason. A street kit to me is a bracket lift. Even if Greg had gone 4" over and not used the stock ball joint it really wouldn't give you that much more travel. I still plan to add heim steering to mine but just for looks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
has anybody heard of the camburg kit ... and i was just wondering if you had heard of foa shocks ... i have been doing research and see that what nick is saying is the right way to do it but requires alot of modification ... i just want enough travel to be able to hit the whoops at glamis and cruise the dunes .... i plan on getting the giant kit for the rear and would like the front to be able to keep up with the front

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
has anybody heard of the camburg kit ... and i was just wondering if you had heard of foa shocks ... i have been doing research and see that what nick is saying is the right way to do it but requires alot of modification ... i just want enough travel to be able to hit the whoops at glamis and cruise the dunes .... i plan on getting the giant kit for the rear and would like the front to be able to keep up with the front
Camburg is the best production kit out right now but is still not as good as what I recommended. FOA's are the cheapest shocks you can buy and many people have problems with them right out of the box. I have heard people going through them and replacing all the seals and then not having problems with them but at that point you might as well just buy foxs or kings.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts