Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, probably been beat to death but cannot find info I need through search function.

I just mounted Nitto Terra Grapplers in a LT285/65-18 on my stock wheels after installing Bilstein 5100's using the 1.5" lift setting. Everything is aligned properly. No rubbing etc.

My question is about tire pressure. The guy I had install my tires said I need to run between 60 and 70 PSI due to the tires being an LT version. Is this true? The sidewall states 80PSI max.

Currently got pressures set to 55PSI all around and the tire pressure sensor is lit on the dash. Tires feel a little wallowy up front at this pressure.

Is there a way to reset the value in the computer to the higher pressures or should I look keep dropping pressure until warning light goes out?

John

·
Registered
989 Posts
I'm running 45 psi in my LT 275/70/18. This is more than enough pressure to maintain the load rating that the stock Titan can handle. At 80 psi, my tire load capacity is around 3600 lbs, 1000lbs more than the Titan needs. If you run too high of a pressure, you'll wear out the center. However, it is better to be too high than too low as long as you are under the max psi of 80.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just talked to Discount Tire. They stated 35PSI is perfectly adequate due to load rating of the new tire. Set pressure to what they recommended and the TPMS low pressure warning light is still on. Is there some way to reset the TPMS? The manual states when pressure is returned to normal, drive vehicle above 16mph and that will reset the fault light. Did that and my pressure sensor is still on.

Any thoughts?
John

·
Registered
989 Posts
35 psi is too low for an LT tire. LT tires need more pressure to achieve the same load capacity of a P tire. Everyday driving you will most likely be fine. However, if you load your truck up and take long highway trips then your tires may not last.

A LT285/65/18 load range D at 35psi has a load capacity of 2035 lbs, which is still 300 lbs below the stock tires. Now at 45 psi, your load rating increased to 2445 lbs, which is good since it is at or above the stock tire rating. Too low of a pressure for the given load will overheat your tire and cause premature failure. LT tires can carry more load because they are designed to carry more pressure and not to ride smoothly like passenger tires.

I'm just trying to pass on information, you can make the decision from there. As for the TPMS, I hate those things.

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
I am not 100% sure, but I thought the TPMS light would only light up if a tire gets too low and if there was over a 5lb difference between tires. :dunno:

Correct me if I am way off base.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
35 psi ... (2035 lbs. of load capacity per tire), is fine for the Titan. That's 4 plus tons total, and our trucks are around 2.5 tons themselves, so at 4 tons a Titan would be be way overloaded.

For more even tread wear and better mileage the low to mid 40's is better for most LT tires. The maximums are for 1 tons and larger trucks, (with a full rated load). That's why the manufactures can get away with selling 1/2 tons with passenger tires, (BTW, their load ratings need to be derated by 10% when used on light trucks).

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts