Nissan Titan Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
So far, not a problem. It is the same strength as the frame et al. The main problem with the OEM Shackles, was that it could peel apart, not break the steel. Construction of the remaining parts is pretty industry standard stuff, so I wouldn't worry about that. I had same thoughts, and this is the conclusion I've come to. Just my opinion. :)

·
Premium Member
3,585 Posts
Well, had plenty of time and rare Washington sunshine this weekend to get under the Titan and remove those bolts and reinstall them properly. Didn't take long at all the second time around with the old man's help! Working on cars and trucks is one of the better things to do with Dad on Father's Day!:cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
461 Posts
Titan1080 said:
Well, had plenty of time and rare Washington sunshine this weekend to get under the Titan and remove those bolts and reinstall them properly. Didn't take long at all the second time around with the old man's help! Working on cars and trucks is one of the better things to do with Dad on Father's Day!:cheers:

I noticed you had the leaf spring bolt through the lower set of holes on the shackle, Is this where I would put my bolt. I don't have a lift ( stock)

·
Premium Member
17,240 Posts
The photo shows stock height mounting. The other holes are advertised to provide a drop of 1/2 inch (the middle hole) and 1 inch (the hole on the end closest to the truck bed). You should be able to confirm this by measuring the distance between the holes on the stock shackle.

·
Registered
461 Posts
bestatchess said:
The photo shows stock height mounting. The other holes are advertised to provide a drop of 1/2 inch (the middle hole) and 1 inch (the hole on the end closest to the truck bed). You should be able to confirm this by measuring the distance between the holes on the stock shackle.
Thanks for the confirmation and info.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Anyone jumped from TC shackles to Greg's for that extra bit of drop in the rear or would that just be silly?

·
Registered
171 Posts
just ordered mine, how long has it been taking people to get them delivered?
:cow:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Just installed mine today. The tool box is just a PITA. If you can find some kind of rubber grommet at the auto store, just drill a hole and use that to seal the box after. I took most of the bolts off to let the box hang and be manuvered. It takes a bit of coaxing to get it back in place, but it is doable. The ting that killed me was the stupid bolt holding design on the frame of the bottomd shakle. I guess you're supposed to use that instead of another socket, but, mine stripped.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
grpape said:
Just installed mine today. The tool box is just a PITA. If you can find some kind of rubber grommet at the auto store, just drill a hole and use that to seal the box after. I took most of the bolts off to let the box hang and be manuvered. It takes a bit of coaxing to get it back in place, but it is doable. The ting that killed me was the stupid bolt holding design on the frame of the bottomd shakle. I guess you're supposed to use that instead of another socket, but, mine stripped.
Which bolts did you remove for the toolbox?

I installed my shackles this saturday..(not trying to brag...just tryin to help the next guy)...the toolbox took 15 minutes tops
6 bolts and then pop the clips and set it aside. The first attempt at the toolbox 2 weekends ago...was a PITA...but I removed the bolts from the side of the toolbox and I couldn't get the thing off..this time I removed the upper bolts holding the entire box to the bed and frame. (2 bolts forward and 4 rear)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Installed the shackles today, No problem except for the surgical sawzall work and a broken upper shackle bolt. First off I couldn't get the bottom bolt out due to rust and that little housing that covers the bolt, that I think is suppose to hold the nut from spinning. Yeh right. So I sawzalled the nut holder off, got a wrench on it and it came off, Cool one side done. Now the other side same thing surgical sawzall at work. Took the nut holder off, undid the nut and bolt and than started the top bolt, Well this bolt would not budge so I applied a little heat, No go. So I got the monster breaker bar and twisted the nut into submission, Well I broke it in F-ing half. No sweat the dealer has one in stock, I will finish up Saturday. Other than that the install went well, The old shackles were starting to peel so It was just in time. Just thought I would share my nuckle busting experience today....

·
Registered
171 Posts
just did the install....took 35 minutes for both sides, here is a pic, I installed them on the 1/2" lower hole..

jackstands and a jack under the pumpkin makes it go alot smoother.......

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
fivepointnine said:
just did the install....took 35 minutes for both sides, here is a pic, I installed them on the 1/2" lower hole..

jackstands and a jack under the pumpkin makes it go alot smoother.......

Nice job. So, you did what? Jack up the truck, put the jackstands under the frame, and had the jack under the diff?

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
yup, thats exactly how I did it...........dont forget to file those 2 little tabs down!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Installed my shackles with the help of my cousin and a few phone books on the jack ;) i dropped the bed a little to level it out until I can afford a lift. The drop made the truck look nice and its handles better.

·
Registered
686 Posts
ptgarcia said:
That's the easy way.
I have an 8" drop hitch from my old Suburban. I put that in my reciever, and my floorjack under that. My tires never had to leave the ground. "Flat Ratin'"

41 - 60 of 75 Posts