Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I see there is a price forum, but no posts for two months so I figure I'd try a more active section..

I would like to trade my 19 SV for a 20 Pro4x.

My local dealer seems to be screwing me, after 2 trips there, and they've called 3 additional times with minor price drops. But I'm still not happy.

An hour and a half away, I have found the perfect truck, but want to get opinions on the deal..

2020 white pro 4x, demo model with 4300 miles, never been titled, stock tires and rims were not on the vehicle so they're still new. It has all packages; utility, convenience, and moonroof, with the new titan side step, and a high end hard trifold leer cover, window tint, rubber mats, mud flaps.

They're asking 49k, and sticker is around 61500 I believe. They also offer the 0% 84 but want 52k.

Best offer I got locally was a stripped down demo model with a few thousand miles pro4x, no convenience package, no moonroof, step rails taken off, came to 52000!

I'm in SC so the market may be different.. I actually live in a neighborhood with 3 other titan owners and see them on the road regularly. I'll be going to NC to get this truck. So for me the 49k or 52k at the NC dealership sounds like a steal considering for a fully loaded model with several expensive add ons.

Opinions before I pull the trigger??

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
590 Posts
it does sounds like its a better deal. and an hour and a half is not that far to go to get so much more truck

·
Registered
2020 Titan Pro-4x in Baja Storm
123 Posts
i paid 49k out the door for my new 2020 pro4x loaded with the sticker at 59k. i did have a trade but based on what they gave me and what i owed, that's what i paid if i didn't have a trade. i think 4300 miles is used. you should get that for a whole lot less on a 2020. Come to NC. If you PM me i will have a guy i worked with call you.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Here in TX, we drive hundreds of miles for a better deal. Deals here in Austin suck, so best ones are in Dallas or Houston areas. In TX, 5K is considered used. Under can be sold as new, so loaner cars, etc can be new car deals.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
590 Posts
yup, we drove a few weekends to san antonio looking at trucks which is about 125 miles each way. we also did a trip to kingsville which is only like 50 miles so its not really considered going out of town but...

so are you near the coast in the carolinas? just small talk, because my aun tand uncle, brother and family, and my sister and family all live in nc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i paid 49k out the door for my new 2020 pro4x loaded with the sticker at 59k. i did have a trade but based on what they gave me and what i owed, that's what i paid if i didn't have a trade. i think 4300 miles is used. you should get that for a whole lot less on a 2020. Come to NC. If you PM me i will have a guy i worked with call you.
You got a really good deal at $49,000 out the door. I was happy with $50,000 out the door and that was in NC also. 2020 PRO-4X Fully loaded, all packages.

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Titan Pro-4X 2006 Nissan Titan SE (sold)
190 Posts
The 2021s are out, so you're essentially paying for a 1 year old truck. They should be able to come down even more. I would play their game and tell them that you're actually looking at a 2021. The one below, similar price, not a demo, and a 2021. Show this to them, and have them come down even more. Oh and look at it this way, if the trucks are the same price, but the one below costs you $900 to have shipped, in a couple of years your truck should be worth a few thousand more just because it's a year newer.

·
Premium Member
3,840 Posts
The 2021s are out, so you're essentially paying for a 1 year old truck. They should be able to come down even more. I would play their game and tell them that you're actually looking at a 2021. The one below, similar price, not a demo, and a 2021. Show this to them, and have them come down even more. Oh and look at it this way, if the trucks are the same price, but the one below costs you $900 to have shipped, in a couple of years your truck should be worth a few thousand more just because it's a year newer.

You will never beat them at the game they created, you may think so but it’ll never happen. You can get the price down on the new one but lose any of the higher incentives or you don’t qualify for certain programs etc. if you pay less for a 2020 of course you’ll get less upon selling it and using that same thought process you’ll pay more for a 2021 and get more when you sell that one. The day you sign the papers and drive out they are both brand new but they just have different years attached to the vin number.
They’ve been at this game for years and they have what you want which gives them the upper hand. They have to clear the lots of the older year first and know very well how to get that accomplished.
The dealer nearest me had a beautiful black platinum reserve model that the owner started using to go to his beach house and now sold it as a demo, want to bet he lost nothing on that? The new owner didn’t get that price on a no mileage truck but is still pleased with it.
The golden rule is, “whoever has the gold, makes the rules”

Clint

·
Registered
123 Posts
I got overpaid for my trade. Its still on lot and they keep reducing it. And i got great incentives on my 2020 pro4x. It was built june 2020. Bought it sep 2. So it is one of the last built 2020s.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You will never beat them at the game they created, you may think so but it’ll never happen. You can get the price down on the new one but lose any of the higher incentives or you don’t qualify for certain programs etc. if you pay less for a 2020 of course you’ll get less upon selling it and using that same thought process you’ll pay more for a 2021 and get more when you sell that one. The day you sign the papers and drive out they are both brand new but they just have different years attached to the vin number.
They’ve been at this game for years and they have what you want which gives them the upper hand. They have to clear the lots of the older year first and know very well how to get that accomplished.
The dealer nearest me had a beautiful black platinum reserve model that the owner started using to go to his beach house and now sold it as a demo, want to bet he lost nothing on that? The new owner didn’t get that price on a no mileage truck but is still pleased with it.
The golden rule is, “whoever has the gold, makes the rules”

Clint
You don't have to beat them at their game, which is why I posted that other truck. You let THEM beat each other. Dealerships HATE, absolutely HATE when you go to another dealership. And if you really want to beat them at their game, sometimes that means not buying.

But yes, you're right about having to be in a position of power. When I went into the dealerships I went for my 2020, the first dealership played games with me. I drove the 2006 that I was trading in, and they threw all the BS at me (I guess maybe they saw the 2006 I wanted to trade in and figured they could convince me that my credit was bad, and thought that I didn't have any experience buying a new vehicle, despite the fact that I've bought about a dozen new vehicles in my lifetime) . When I went to another dealership, I actually drove in with a 2016 that I had no intentions of trading in. I think that's why the 2nd dealership shot straight with me, they knew that I didn't need to buy the truck, and knew that there was no pressure for me to buy the truck.

If the OP doesn't need the truck immediately, given that it's already mid-October, I bet if he has the patience to wait 2 more months, the prices are going to be even better, given that December is when dealerships are really in a crunch.

·
Premium Member
3,840 Posts
You are aware that your so called competing dealers have gatherings of the owners on occasion? Funny thing is by me the four nearest large Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge and Ram dealerships under four different names are owned by one man so all the running around and pitting one against the other is a pure lesson in futility.
Like I said, you’ll never beat them at the game they own.

Clint

·
Registered
190 Posts
You are aware that your so called competing dealers have gatherings of the owners on occasion? Funny thing is by me the four nearest large Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge and Ram dealerships under four different names are owned by one man so all the running around and pitting one against the other is a pure lesson in futility.

Clint
Not with that mentality you don't. But, I'm all for playing the same BS games that they play. I get an email from one dealer, send it to another, ask them to price match. The other dealer will tell me that the other dealer's numbers are full of $$$$ or will try to match. The reason I go that route is it lets me know what dealers want to deal, and which ones don't. Even if the dealer that promises me a lower price and doesn't deliver, that's fine. I have the choice of walking away.

When I bought my 2020, I stopped at the nearest dealership and anticipated buying a decently optioned out SV. The salesman wouldn't talk specific numbers for about an hour, and then when he did, he presented an amount of $900 a month. I walked out pretty quick. Drove to another dealership a few days later, told the salesman that Nissan wasn't on my radar, but if he wanted to take my business away from a local Chevy dealership, that if he could show me those numbers that I liked, I'd consider doing business with him. He actually showed me a Pro-4X and gave me numbers that were BETTER than the SV from the other dealership. Now, if I had taken your advice and just taken what that first dealership had offered (not beating them at their own game), I'd have less truck and more payment. I'm not sure why anyone would tell someone to go into a dealership with a defeatist attitude, unless that person maybe works at a dealership?

To the OP, get what you want, and go online to look for the best prices. You know what you want, and remember that the price you pay will have to carry you through the length of ownership and the length of the loan. So the better your deal is now, the less negative equity you'll have to deal with if you decide to sell in a few years. Oh and final bit of advice, if you finance, get the approval for a loan amount first.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts

Clint
That is the worst advice I have ever seen. I agree with TitanSSoul.

My last Titan I went around the horn via email with 5 different Nissan dealers. What started out as a $38k truck ended up being $28k when I was all done.

Nowadays I just walk in with a piece of paper with the price written on it that I'm willing to pay. I hand it to the salesman and tell him "when you are ready to talk, let me know"

·
Premium Member
3,840 Posts
You don’t need to play against anyone, respect your money and power as a buyer an stand your ground. If you know what the bottom line is that they can come to just play hardball and most people cave in without a good standoff.
You may disagree with what I write as I’m not going to write a book here BUT if you knew me and what I have amassed and where I live you’d know you couldn’t be any more wrong. I have had 5 new car loans going at the same time so as I’ve said if there is one thing I do know about it is negotiating a car sale and I wouldn’t be in a position to do that and run a business for the last 44 years being naive.

Clint

·
Registered
123 Posts
i am a master at new car negotiation. they key is to not act or better yet, be, desperate. Have a take it or leave it attitude BUT with some reasonableness. They have to make a profit but you have to pay as little as possible for your own sake. when i bought my titan, i knew what my trade was worth from carvana. I knew what the dealers internet price was and what true market value was. I walked in there and their first offer was 9000$ more than i stated i wanted to pay- once i told them after their offer. they came down 3k. Still too much. So their manager came in, said how they had to make money, i agreed, and told them i'd go elesewhere and get a vehicle without the added options theirs had that i really didn't need- sunroof for example. also told them if they got the lesser one, call me. i left. told them if they could find another cheaper one we can talk. 5 minutes later they called me, they had come down another 3k. So i took it. my trade got 36k for me- i paid 35,800 brand new for it in early 2019. LOL. the titan ended up costing me 49k and change with all the taxes/title stuff. Not too bad. for a $59k truck msrp. I could have gotten cheaper prolly but that was OTD price. My trade is still on their lot and they have dropped the price from 40k down to 37k now. Salesman told me they paid too much for my trade.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
590 Posts
we did the just tell them what we wanted to pay.

we had a trade in that we were positive on and didn't mind keeping it as it was a good car.

my wife sat in the truck and loved it so we went in to the dealership.
whatever I said and payments less then 500 a month. and I am not giving yall any money up front because you wanted our car for your used lot, not that we particularly wanted to give you our car, you said you need used suvs badly because there are none on the lot.

he said he had to talk to his boss and came back and the numbers were good on the price but bad on the monthly payment so I said no go. he went back and came back and the numbers were still like high 500s. we had been there a while and I was tired of the back and forth so I said just give me the keys and where is our car. he said he would find them and got me the keys. I got up and asked where is the car? he said their guys had it in back and we would have to go get it.

his boss came and talked to us some more and I told him the same deal on what I was willing to do and he made a face and said they couldn't do that. I said if you want to sell a truck, that's the offer I have because we don't need a new truck, we have the very nice titanium ford escape and a very decent 2001 Nissan frontier crew cab that works fine as a truck for me.

there was some more back and forth with the boss who ended up getting his boss and the numbers kept coming down till finally they said the best they could do was 510 a month. I said ok, maybe next month and my wife and I got up to go to our car and the higher manager said fine, we can do it. we will fudge the numbers to get it down if you will buy the truck.

I said put on the paper and we will take the truck. well, actually my wife did some of the talking and I did some of that back and forth with them but that's the gist of how that went and we have the titan now.

the wife and I are both very very happy with our truck and the payment came out to 499 a month

1 - 17 of 17 Posts