Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First things first, this has nothing to do with gas mileage. My 2004 Titan only get 280-300 miles per tank when my low fuel light goes on. I only fill up approx. 20-21 gallons leaving 7-8 unused gallons. My buddy fills up with 25-26 gallons when his light goes on. A service tech told me it may be a bad sending unit which could cause poor fuel pressure. Does this sound right? Could this effect anything other than having to fill up more often. I have 95000+ miles and this wouldn't be covered by Nissan and I wouldn't pay to fix it if it doesn't effect engine performance. Any guidance is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
It sounds normal. I would rather have a 50-60 mile buffer when the light comes on rather than a 15 mile buffer, especially when on the highway at night. Sounds like your buddy's low fuel warning is not working.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Dont trust the gas gauge... Mine ran out of gas Saturday and the gauge said i had .25 tank left????

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Both my truck take 21 gallons when the fuel light comes on.

·
Super Moderator
159,622 Posts
The sending unit won't affect engine performance, just the fuel gauge readings. And yours sounds normal to me too.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I had the sending unit replaced after a few months I bought the truck, wouldn't go to full even with full tank. 6 months later, it started to drop below full again but not as bad as before. Dealer said it's normal but I know it's doesn't work as when it was brand new. There was lots of posts bout this problem about 2 yrs ago.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Mine also takes 21 gallons when the fuel light comes on. Also this has happened twice in the last monoth, when I fill up it takes almost 20 minutes for the gas gauge to get back to FULL.

·
Registered
125 Posts
amati5 said:
I had the sending unit replaced after a few months I bought the truck, wouldn't go to full even with full tank. 6 months later, it started to drop below full again but not as bad as before. Dealer said it's normal but I know it's doesn't work as when it was brand new. There was lots of posts bout this problem about 2 yrs ago.
I just went thru my second sending unit this week , under warranty , but a royal PIA. Nothing like having the needle peg below E and still have 5 to 6 gallons left. I'm truly surprised this issue isn't a TSB.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My light normally comes on at around 22 gallons.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Just had my sending unit replaced under warranty. I filled up one day and it didn't register full until about 20 miles. It only did it once but I told the dealer it always fluctuates so they would replace it, and they did. Don't we have an 8 gallon reserve in our trucks. That would make up for the missing 8 gallons.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Your gas tank readings sound about normal. Mine is the same way, never goes all the way to full. I can drive about 35 miles and it reads 3/4 of a tank. I am having mine replaced this week or next. I just get angry cause i spend almost $90 filling the phucker up and it is a 3/4 a tank very quickly. That's just me filling my neurotic need though on that. I get the avg mpg's as everyone else so I know it's not a problem. I just want the phucking saticfaction of seeing a full tank after dropping a pretty penny at the gas station.

If your truck isn't under warranty and you need this replaced, it will cost you about $500-$600 large................

1 - 13 of 13 Posts