Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a few small problems with my truck in the first two weeks. Don't take this as complaining about quality. I love the truck and its a blast to drive. Everyone who sees it stops me to see it. My wife even noticed a bunch of guys checking it out when we stopped for groceries.

All the problems are pretty minor and easily fixed.

1. After a week the right rear door wouldn't open. Clip was bad in handle. Took about five minutes to fix.

2. Plastic cover outside tailgate is not tight, seems to have a bad clip. New one on order.

3. Having something weird with radio. FM loses volume after about a minute, seems like losing highs and mids. Weird part is works fine with CD or AM. Having it looked at tomorrow.

4. Bought Nissan bugshield. Look at the clips closely. Center clip should have a "C" stamped into it. None of mine did and center clip doesn't line up using others. Dealer has ordered another.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have noticed the same thing with the radio. It's like it fades in and out of stereo reception. I was wondering if it was just me. This is even with the SSV setting off (which increases and decreases volume depending on level of road noise).

I also had the same problem with the center clip for the hood protector, no "c" on any of the clips. I have one on order as well.

I had to exchange the tool box as well due to a defect in the lock mechanism. It eventually became very difficult to unlock.

I have also noticed a slight valve or lifter noise at around 2,500 RPM. However, you have to listen very closely.

Karl

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you didn't get the foglights in your trucks the Nissan add on is a cake job. Takes about ten minutes. Prewiring is done. Just plug them in and change out the turn signal. A total of three screws and two nuts.

One other thing I need to say here. I didn't get the utility package because I didn't know how the rails would hold up. I go to the coast occasionally and was afraid of what the salt would do to the aluminum. And the cleets can't be locked. I wonder how many will disappear?

JD

·
Registered
294 Posts
That's great...I was wondering if they were pre-wired. My friend has an Xterra and his was as well. I take it the turn signal is pretty easy to change out then. How much was the fog light kit?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
About $200. Quality kit. Three screws are removed to change out the turn signal. Just pops in and out. Directions include pictures.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thanks for the info jd1973. Glad to see you joined in! I'll have to get the kit this weekend if it's in.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Couple of Things I've noticed

Splash guards and plastic trim around tailgate are mounted somewhate with two sided sticky tape similiar to that used when installing metal roofing panels. The tape is not quite thick enough.

Me and Service tech at dealership discussed this and he said he would notify Nissan. He got some thicker tape and fixed it on a couple Titans on their lot.

The other thing I've noticed is the gap in the passenger side of the tailgate as being quite large. Looked at another Titan and noticed it was the same. This is done during installation apparently as all that I have looked at have this flaw. The coupler is bent on that side of the tailgate in the few that I have inspected.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I noticed the same thing on the tailgate but it isn't a significant problem to me.
The trim piece on the tailgate (where the lock is) has both plugs and tape. I was discussing this earlier. The lower right hand plug on mine was bad. Have another on order. I didn't even think to get the tape replaced. Service tech didn't recommend this either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
These problems are what make me leery of buying a Nissan. The quality just isn't there. When I look at the fit and finish on my Tundra, it is light years ahead of the Titan. I test drove it again and still prefer my Tundra. Maybe next year I'll look at the Nissan again after they get some experience in the full size pickup arena.:p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cleggy said:
These problems are what make me leery of buying a Nissan. The quality just isn't there. When I look at the fit and finish on my Tundra, it is light years ahead of the Titan. I test drove it again and still prefer my Tundra. Maybe next year I'll look at the Nissan again after they get some experience in the full size pickup arena.:p
I think Nissan has been around the truck market for a long time. Ive seen some large trucks with the nissan emblem running around europe. :)

Im waiting until next year before buying the titan or tundra. I really want nissan to workout all the bugs.:alfdance:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Scorch

I don't think it really matters between the two Japanese makes. I have owned a number of each and they both are far from perfect but light years ahead of the big three. I had some significant problems with my Tundra also. This was the reason for my move to the Titan.

I've owned several Toyota pickups. The smaller (and earlier) ones were much better built and dependable than my Tundra. Looks like its going to be the same with the Nissans. I hate to say it but I think being built in America has something to do with it.

Some of the problems I had with my 01 Tundra (in 40k miles):

1. The brakes were horrible. The entire brake system was replaced twice under warranty. I had another problem which no one else seemed to have. My rear brakes and emergency brakes had to be adjusted every 5000 miles, at a cost of $40. And I live in central Florida with no hills. Toyota said you weren't supposed to use the emergency brake. What's that????

2. All the oxygen sensors were replaced twice under warranty. All four and due to stripped threads, two new sets of intake manifolds. Out of warranty it would have cost nearly $1800 each time.

3. The door handles cracked and were replaced under warranty. Seems you can't order a door handle, you have to replace the entire panels. Great engineering there.

4. Shake was evident in cab after about 2000 miles. After replacing the tires the shimmy went away but I had to be sure to get alignments and rebalancing every 300 miles or it returned.

5. The paint (mine was red) was thin and chipped easily. I went through several tubes of touchup even though I was never offroad.

The techs at Toyota said my truck was about average, quite a difference from all my other Toyotas. Look out at tundrasolutions.com if you want to see the complaints against the Tundra.

As I said before I still like both of these trucks. As far as I'm concerned they are light years ahead of the big three. Every thing I have listed as a complaint is really nit picky and nothing is major. Both trucks drive great and are well built. I figure its going to take a couple of trips to the dealer to get any new vehicle right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts