Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be towing an alumni car hauler and have never towed before. Can anyone give me a crash course of you will ok how to use the p2? I got a used one with Titan harness but no instructions. What is the lever for on it and what power settings should I be using? Or is it all automatic? No idea lol. Thx

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
The lever on it is the test mechanism. The dial setting is dependent on the weight of the trailer.

The higher the number the harder the trailer will break, so the heavier the trailer the higher the setting.

To determine where it needs to be, get on a relatively level area with the trailer hooked up. Take your foot off the brake, Roll forward and hit the test lever. If you stop slowly or barely come to a stop, you are in good shape. If you don't stop at all, turn it up, if you fly through the windshield, turn it down.

That in a nutshell is how to set the brake controller.

If you are driving on the road and the trailer tires lock up at all, it is set too high. If it feels like the trailer is pushing you a lot as you stop it may be too low.

Sorry I can't be more exact, but it is a feel. The idea is you want the trailer to mostly brake for itself and the truck to brake for itself or maybe carry just a slight braking load from the trailer.

I would check the Tekonsha link in the previous post too, it may provide some good info.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That actually makes senses. Thx. What about when the trialer is empty. About 1000lb trailer so do I do the same just much lower setting or nothing at all? Does the truck send brake signal with out the controller?

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Perfect. So if don't feel the aluminum car hauler pushing me when empty I won't use the prodigy

The prodigy senses if there is no trailer connected.

I just leave mine hooked up all the time. You can dial it way down if the trailer is light. I would imagine if you look at the owners manual online there may be a way to disable or shut it off without actually disconnecting it.

If it doesn't detect a trailer it blinks NC a few times when you turn the truck on and then eventually shuts off.

I think you can dial the controller to 0 as well.

·
Registered
422 Posts
This all assumes the trailer has controllable brakes. Some trailers don't. Some trailers have an mechanical system that brakes the trailer for you when you brake. The idea is that when you break the trailer will push forward compressing a solenoid and engaging the trailer brakes. In that case the brake controller is useless.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Tekonsha!

Same link as posted before I think.

Go down towards bottom of page, there is a product video that goes through installation and operation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts