Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently ordered some touchup paint for my Titan. Since they only run about $3.41 for a little tube, I got two of them. Does anyone know the proper way of applying the touchup paint? I purchased some before for other cars (the same color of the vehicle), and the paint is a very thin mixture, when you apply it. It never quite looks exactly like the original paint on the vehicle. I was wondering if you applied it to a scratch, would you then buff it or something? Any ideas how to make it look exactly like factory paint?

For the Charcoal Titan, the part number was 999PP-GQK11 (they had a difficult time trying to figure it out).

Thanks.

·
Registered
662 Posts
If it is a small nick or scratch use a toothpick or q-tip to apply. After it dries, buff it with a very LIGHT compound. You may have to go through the steps a couple of times. After you are done, wax the spot well. It won't look as good as new but it will definitely look better.

·
Registered
727 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Touch Up Application Tips

There are two things that you need to keep in mind when using touch up paint:

1) Color Match
2) Smoothness of Paint

The color difference that you sometimes notice between the original paint and the touch up is attributed to paint fade of the original and the fact that the touch up is formulated to be a single stage and doesn't have a clear coat (clear coat changes the color slightly). There really isn't much you can do to get a closer color match with touch up.....you are pretty much stuck with what you get.

As far as smoothness, most of the times you can tell a touch up spot because it ends up being a bubble of a dried drop of paint that isn't flush with the surface of the original finish....it stands out and is very noticable. This can be prevented by doing several things. First, I use a small pocket knife to feather the edges of the original paint around the spot being repaired. Feathering basically results in a slope of the paint around the edges instead of a sharp drop off. This allows the touch up paint to spread and not form a bubble due to the surface tension that all liquids possess. Next, the touch up paint is thin because you want it to spread and have less of this surface tension induced bubble nature. I use a tooth pick to apply it into the spot rather than the brush that comes with most touch up paints. The toothpick allows precise placement of the paint and you can spread it around with the point. The key is using many applications over time.....basically spreading in a thin layer, allowing it to dry, and then applying another coat on top of each consecutive coat. This results in a smoother final finish that requires only a small amount of buffing with a mild polish to blend the touch up layer with the level of the original to result in a smooth less noticable repair. When I buff a spot, I use a the flat end of a 2" wooden dowel rod that I wrap with a diaper. The flat surface of the dowel allows for a flat finish to be applied to both the touch up paint and the original paint.....resulting in both reaching the same level after working the spot with the polish. This means it will be flush and smooth.

Even if the color of the touch up is slightly off, if you apply it properly to result in a flush smooth repair, it is far less noticable.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
662 Posts
amati5 said:
Sorry for the stupid question: what is rubbing compound? like paint cleaner or something like that? wax ?
Yeah, like a paint cleaner...most have a fine gritty substance in them that helps smooth out scratches. Just be careful because it slightly grinds the paint to help smooth things out. Use it only when necessary otherwise you are just wearing down the clearcoat and paint. Try to get some that is not too harsh or gritty.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Memphis4x4 said:
There are two things that you need to keep in mind when using touch up paint:

1) Color Match
2) Smoothness of Paint...

...I hope this helps.
Great explanation Memphis :cheers:

·
Registered
152 Posts
amati5 said:
Sorry for the stupid question: what is rubbing compound? like paint cleaner or something like that? wax ?
dman is exactly correct......polishing compound will remove some of the clear so you don't want one that is too abrasive. You just want one that will not be too agressive and not wear away too much paint. I use Mequire's Deep Crystal Polish.....it is very, very mild.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts