Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need new tires and am considering LT tires for my 04 Titan. I pull a 6500 lb. travel trailer several thousand miles a year and am wondering if LT tires would last longer that radial tires. I've worn out 3 sets of radials in 76k miles.
Thanks for any thoughts or experiences.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Go 4 it.... Pros are they are stiffer and much more stable under heavy loads.. Cons are they are stiffer and ride more harsh when driving unloaded... FWIW, I have over 60k miles on my Nitto Terra Grappler LT's, they've helped alot for towing my 6200-lbs TT... :D

·
Premium Member
20,599 Posts
At least for me the LT tires I got from Toyo had more tread depth than the P rated tire. They are heavier and stiffer which equals less MPG and not as good a ride but the ride is more predictable under load.

·
Registered
7 Posts
LTs are load rated and they meet a certain limitation of loads .LTs are for small Class 6/8 diesel truck tires..These tires are still a good choice for your SUV or pickup truck. Go for TOYO Lt tires ..They provide variety of different LT tires.for e.g Open Country H/T is all-season, light truck tire designed for optimal ride comfort, quiet performance and handling during city and highway use. Available in a wide range of original sizes, perfect for upgrading the ride quality of your light truck, SUV or crossover..

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I run Cooper/Mastercraft Discover LT's on our fleet of GMC 2500's/3500's and get decent mileage out of them the seem to last about 40-45K if properly maintained. Pricing on Cooper is pretty good too. Ignore inflation specs on your door sill, as they do not apply to LT. I'd recommend to maintain at least 75% of the Tires max pressure rating, which will be 80 PSI likely, so 60+ PSI. The Mfg will have info online.

LT is far less likely to heat up and deteriorate as a P Rated would in exact same circumstances. Flexing causes heat, damage is often hidden on inside.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I need new tires and am considering LT tires for my 04 Titan. I pull a 6500 lb. travel trailer several thousand miles a year and am wondering if LT tires would last longer that radial tires. I've worn out 3 sets of radials in 76k miles.
Thanks for any thoughts or experiences.
Just to clarify, the LT tires are also radials (which is a good thing), you are probably running the standard P-metric tires that come on our trucks. I do a good amount of towing heavy trailers (skidsteer, dump & landscape trailers) and noticed an instant improvement when I upgraded to LT's. Got almost 50k out of my Goodyear Wrangler ProGrade Silent Armor's before I swapped them out. Probably could have left 'em on for another 10-15k, but I like to change tires out when they hit the 25-30%.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just bought some Pro Comp 20" wheels and will need to purchase some new tires soon. After reading through this thread -- if I never do any towing, and would prefer a better ride and better MPG, it sounds like P tires are best option for me, right?

·
Premium Member
20,599 Posts
I just bought some Pro Comp 20" wheels and will need to purchase some new tires soon. After reading through this thread -- if I never do any towing, and would prefer a better ride and better MPG, it sounds like P tires are best option for me, right?
Correct. LT tires ride rough, weigh more and cost more. Plus, finding them on 20" wheels could be challenging.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts