Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made a roadtrip out to lower ME to pick up a chopper. I live in upstate NY & had to drive over the Berkshires. About a 2k foot elevation. I was hauling a 7x13 enclosed, single axle. Maybe 2,200 #s. Granted I was going over mountains, but even on small hills the Titan kept down shifting. 8 mp gallon!!! Should I have kept the Titan in 4th gear & the tow mode on??? Just curious how other owners haul. Thanks.

·
Registered
682 Posts
thats your problem....say in 4th w/ tow on

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK. Thats what I thought. I was f-in around on the way out & she did best in 4th with tow mode. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
drugmoney said:
OK. Thats what I thought. I was f-in around on the way out & she did best in 4th with tow mode. Thanks for the help.

What kind of chopper?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its an American Ironhorse Tejas with a DNA springer & 16 inch apes. I cant remember the rake. Its not too far out there.

·
Registered
250 Posts
sounds like a sweet bike hope you have fun with it

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I pull a 22 foot Baja with the Titan & NEVER had any issues. But I've never towed anything a long distance. I was concerned because I'm pulling a 20 foot enclosed tandem axle down to Daytona for Bikeweek. I want to make sure I nail this long trip thing in the butt. 4th & tow mode. Also putting electric brakes on the Titan today. I dont want to have to trade her in for a Tundra!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wow, I get over 8mpg with 7500lbs of Jeep and trailer behind me up here in hilly PA.

I hope to get even better mileage going to Daytona with 4 Harleys on a lighter trailer. I hope to get close to 12mpg. It's pretty flat after VA.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I was gonna say.....I get better than that towing an 8500+ LB travel trailer. But in the mountains...yeah, it's going to downshift to keep it in the sweet spot. I think it's worth it though...tows like a champ.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
I was gonna say.....I get better than that towing an 8500+ LB travel trailer. But in the mountains...yeah, it's going to downshift to keep it in the sweet spot. I think it's worth it though...tows like a champ.
Ditto. We tow a 7000# travel trailer through our mountainous area all the time and typically do 10 or just under. Remember that the transmission on this truck is not an RPM management system but a torque management system. Much different thinking than old school stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts