Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed these things or have info on them?

Also are there ignition wire sets for our engine?

·
Registered
191 Posts
A spark plug is not going to improve HP or MPG. Iridium will last nearly forever and is resistant to fouling. Pulstar sounds like a marketing gimmick.

Why do you think you need new plugs or wires? The stock plugs will last 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wires for less resistance and just look better underhood :). plugs cause more efficient plugs do increase mpg in my previous vehicles

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Our engines are coil-on-plug, no traditional plug wires. That being the case, there is no "loss" due to plug wires. Not to mention the plugs don't generate power themselves, so it's interesting to see them claim up to 20,000 times more power than spark plugs.

Hmmmm, 1,000,000 watts, eh? At 10,000 volts, that's 100 amps. Pretty impressive to get 100 amps out of a tiny plug.

Oh, and their test results? Yeah, they don't use standard tests...they use their own made-up test. Why would a company go through the steps necessary to design their own test when there are standard ASE tests for virtually any type of test you can think of? Probably because using those tests showed no improvement, so they had to come up with a way to "prove" their product works better.

At $25/ea (times 8 = $200) and only lasting 50,000 miles...let's see...figure a 4% increase in MPG (Median, according to their tests) or roughly 0.64 MPG more (16.64mpg) based on 16mpg average...that comes out to .0024 gallons per mile saved.

416 miles to save 1 gallon of gas, $3/gallon, $200 would buy 66.6 gallons of gas. This means it would take 27,705 miles to save 66.6 gallons. They would pay for themselves, assuming they actually DO increase mpg by 4%. If you only got a 2% increase then you wouldn't have recovered the cost of the plugs before it was time to replace them.

Remember Split-Fire? Remember what happened to them? http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1997/02/splitfir.shtm

If it sounds too good to be true...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sounds like ill be sticking to the norm then haha

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Nice write up yahoohaligan. Way to back it up with math and proved facts.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I would have to agree with what is written above (nice write-up btw Yahooligan)..for the titan or for a light-med modified titan.

If you are supercharged/turbo'd then the plugs can make quite a difference. It's kind of like underdrive pullies...they give back power that you engine is making, but was losing. On my turbo Audi A4 using specific plugs means the difference in idle smoothness, hesitation and top end surging in the power at WOT.

It that sense the plugs can increase hp and mpg (from what you are getting currently) IF your plugs are at their change out time (100k miles)

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
jessefrank said:
I would have to agree with what is written above (nice write-up btw Yahooligan)..for the titan or for a light-med modified titan.

If you are supercharged/turbo'd then the plugs can make quite a difference. It's kind of like underdrive pullies...they give back power that you engine is making, but was losing. On my turbo Audi A4 using specific plugs means the difference in idle smoothness, hesitation and top end surging in the power at WOT.

It that sense the plugs can increase hp and mpg (from what you are getting currently) IF your plugs are at their change out time (100k miles)
The issues associated with forced-induction and plugs mainly has to do with detonation (Using too hot of a plug will cause detonation, potentially damage the engine, or result in reduced timing and boost if computer-controlled) and flame-out (Too cold of a plug or a weak plug). In those cases you may not want to use platinum or iridium plugs, but something like an NGK U-groove that has a strong spark that isn't susceptible to flame-out or fouling. It's also a good idea to step down in heat range from stock when going FI or increasing boost if already FI.

My Saab 900 turbo was quite picky when it came to plugs, boost, and timing once the APC was tweaked for both more boost and holding boost longer.

For our trucks, I'd be willing to bet money that a grounding kit would result in a marked improvement in both the engine and transmission (shifting) and is a better investment for the money than high-tech plugs.

·
Registered
754 Posts
very good writeups yahooligan, ppl can learn some things or 2 from reading this page

1 - 11 of 11 Posts