Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the scenario:
I live in Kansas City and was looking for a truck approx 2 months ago. Fell in love with the Titan and found an 2004 LE CC in Alabama loaded w/ Nav, DVD, etc. Any Titan in this area wanted approximately 4 to 5 thousand dollars more than the one in Alabama(paid $25,500). So, I bought a $200 plane ticket and flew down and bought it. The truck was immaculate! I mean the interior is perfect and even the floor mats were perfect with the exception of the driverside which appeared to have been stepped on a handful of times. The leather was super clean-2 toned, everything...you get my point. The exterior was the same except for some light scratch marks in the bed liner(which is expected).

I have had it 2 months with no problems at all. I work for an auto insurance company so before buying the truck and ran the vin on a database we use that is 10 times better than carfax that tells us if a vehicle has EVER reported any accidents at all. The VIN came back perfectly clean.

The supicious part is that when I was signing the paperwork, the dealer has to disclose where they obtained the vehicle from and all the guy told me was that they obtained it from a "wholesaler". I asked him who and he said he does not know for sure but it was a "wholesaler". Then, about 2 weeks ago I noticed that the oil change sticker stated the vehicle was due for an oil change on June 6, of 2006 or at 24,760 miles. Well, when I bought the truck on March 10th 2007, it had 24,960 miles. Hmmmm, this is worrysome.

Anyone have any idea or input on why this is? Could it have been a rental at one point? I really dont know. Just worried as to why only approx 3k miles were put on it within 9 months and what exactly qualifies as a vehicle purchased from a "wholesaler". Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
Can the dealer tell the miles by hooking up to the ecu regardless of what the odometer says? In the old days there was many a dealer who forgot to peel off the oil change sticker which had more miles showing than thwe car did.

Clint

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Sounds like it was bought at auction. You mean 200 miles, not 3000. Worse case it was a flood damaged vehicle and restored, or it was owned by a widow and auctioned off. Many tradeins are sent right to auction for various reasons. If it's running great, don't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
sudden urge said:
Sounds like it was bought at auction. You mean 200 miles, not 3000. Worse case it was a flood damaged vehicle and restored, or it was owned by a widow and auctioned off. Many tradeins are sent right to auction for various reasons. If it's running great, don't worry about it.
If it was flood damaged then it by law has to be staed or it'd fraud and he could return the truck.
If you suspect this then your insurance adjustor can look for signs of this.
Water damage is impossible to completely hide.

Clint

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sudden urge said:
I thought it may have been a flood vehicle but when I ran the VIN, it had been last registered somewhere in Missouri. Dont know of any flooding there but who knows. Yeah, it is definitely running great, just hoping its not too good to be true.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hopefully there wasn't any tampering of the odometer. 3k miles in 9 months seems fishy, unless the truck just sat in a garage somewhere, which would explain why it is in such great condition. 24k miles for an -04 is low miles, so it could be possible it wasn't driven much. I knew a guy years back that put an odometer on/off switch in his car, I bet the car had 80k miles on it when he sold it, but the reading was only about 18k, it was in great condition too. Not trying to scare you, but if you can have it checked out somehow to see if there has been any tampering of the odometer or the wires, that might answer some questions. good luck.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I wouldn't sweat it. Maybe it sat on the dealer lot for a while before you bought it. Maybe it sat on the wholesale dealers lot for a while. The guy that traded it in may have lived close to work or didn't drive it that much. Usually when folks trade stuff in it will sit on the delaers lot and if they can't move it they will sell it to a wholesaler that way the dealership doesn't have a vehicle they can't move. Just enjoy it and have fun.

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
Is there anything wrong with the truck? I mean if it's running great you shouldn't worry too much. The oil change sticker don't mean anything, I have an old up on the windshield I need to pull off. If it will make you feel better, take it to a mechanic and have him do an inspection for flood damage, wrecked repairs ect...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Your in Missouri, and the truck was last registered in Missouri, but you had to fly down to Alabama to pick it up and buy it. Kinda strange.

Like everyone else is saying, if you like it, and it runs great, don't worry about it, just enjoy your new truck!

·
Registered
52 Posts
We get tons of vehicles around the Alabama/Georgia border that sound exactlly like what you have described. The auto auction north of Newnan (south of Atlanta) is a place that your Titan could have easily came from. Three years ago I bought a "new" Sunfire with 2000 miles on it for about 5k less then blue book. Did some research and found out it was a repo.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Probably got put on a auto trasporter with a few other vehicles the dealer purchased and delivered to the dealership.

·
Registered
222 Posts
What probably happened is someone wanted to trade in the Titan on a different brand vehicle and the dealership didnt want it so they call a wholesaler, who bought it up dirt cheap because the person wanted to trade it in and not have to deal with trying to sell it, then the wholesaler either sold it to another dealership straight up or that dealership bought it at auction, this happens probably 100 times a day around here. I wouldnt worry about the truck, if it looks immaculate and you cant find a report of something wrong with it and its seems to run fine, then it probably is.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
and trust your super car fax reporting system. If it came up clean chances are it probabally is. Good luck with the truck ull love it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
at my work our VIN system will tell us if a vehicle was in a storm area and that it MAY have damage. If your search came back clean I would not worry about it.
A friend of mine bought a 99 mustang GT in 2003 w/ 6500 miles on it. It was an old mans that drove it to the store and golf course.
________
Og Kush Seeds

·
Registered
262 Posts
HiggySTL said:
Hopefully there wasn't any tampering of the odometer. 3k miles in 9 months seems fishy, unless the truck just sat in a garage somewhere, which would explain why it is in such great condition. 24k miles for an -04 is low miles, so it could be possible it wasn't driven much. I knew a guy years back that put an odometer on/off switch in his car, I bet the car had 80k miles on it when he sold it, but the reading was only about 18k, it was in great condition too. Not trying to scare you, but if you can have it checked out somehow to see if there has been any tampering of the odometer or the wires, that might answer some questions. good luck.
My 06 that I got new on in Oct 06 only has 2800 miles on it so I wouldn't be overly concerend about 3K in 9 months.

On the other end of the spectrum, I had an 06 Civic Hybrid that in 3 months I put on over 16K miles.

I wouldn't be worried about the low miles if the rest of the truck reflects the mileage.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Someone may have purchased more truck than they could afford and it got repoed. That happens all the time.

You might have a dealership check and make sure the warranty is good. And if so, who cares? If something goes wrong it'll be covered.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HiggySTL said:
Your in Missouri, and the truck was last registered in Missouri, but you had to fly down to Alabama to pick it up and buy it. Kinda strange.

Like everyone else is saying, if you like it, and it runs great, don't worry about it, just enjoy your new truck!
I live in Kansas City, KS and the truck was last registered prior to the dealer in Alabama, in a town east of St Louis about 6 hours away from Kansas City, KS(or K.C.MO for that matter).

Sounds good fellas. Just wanted to get some realistic possibilities as to why this is but sounds like nothing to worry about. If that changes I'll let you know!

P.S-thanks for the quick replies. D*mn that was quick!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried about the truck. My wife works for a auction house where wholesale cars get traded and I've purchased trucks from their auctions. I'd bet my own money that it's a repo. Lenders give very unhealthy loans and most salespeople couldn't care less about your budget. Depending on the state many repo cars sit in a staging lot for a few months before moving on to the wholesale auction. The retail dealer then does as little as possible before putting the vehicle on their retail sales floor. Many dealers make more money on a "wholesale" vehicle than on new, so you would have been more than justified to request a free oil change. Otherwise, I say congrats and welcome to the club! :bouncy: :bouncy:

·
Banned
1,269 Posts
I was 15 mins from picking up what I thought was a mint condition 91 white mustang coupe 5.0, carfax came back clean but the owner told me himself that it had been in a front end collision one look under the hood confirmed it. As bad as I wanted that car I had to pass, and I will not trust a carfax on its own, be sure to carefully inspect any vehicle you plan on buying or pay someone to do it for you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts