Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently saw a thread that it was impossible to mount a light strip under the tailgates of 2nd Gen Titans. I did some research and decided to give the Putco Switchblade a shot and it fit perfectly. One thing to be careful of is to mount it as low as you can below the tailgate to have proper clearance when the tailgate is down. The Putco comes with mounting clips that hold it away far enough to cross the spare tire hole/ plate, and can easily be unclipped to access the hole. Total install was about 45 mins, and it looks great and I didn't have to tap into any factory wiring. I used the Curt USCAR replacement connector and soldered the reverse wire to the center wire on the 7 pin on that connector. 2 seconds and it can be back to a factory set-up. All purchased through Amazon for $200.

Putco #92009-60
Curt Connector #55384

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
I recently saw a thread that it was impossible to mount a light strip under the tailgates of 2nd Gen Titans. I did some research and decided to give the Putco Switchblade a shot and it fit perfectly. One thing to be careful of is to mount it as low as you can below the tailgate to have proper clearance when the tailgate is down. The Putco comes with mounting clips that hold it away far enough to cross the spare tire hole/ plate, and can easily be unclipped to access the hole. Total install was about 45 mins, and it looks great and I didn't have to tap into any factory wiring. I used the Curt USCAR replacement connector and soldered the reverse wire to the center wire on the 7 pin on that connector. 2 seconds and it can be back to a factory set-up. All purchased through Amazon for $200.

Putco #92009-60

Curt Connector #55384

Very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
431 Posts
How is the light holding up? Any LEDs out? Looks great, and glad to see you can still get the rear tire access.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Putco #92009-60
Curt Connector #55384
How is it holding up?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
18 month update. I have had zero problems with this light bar. All LEDs are working and bright. Living in Colorado, we see our share of extreme weather, and this light bar has held up perfect. I would recommend this to everyone that wants to increase rear visibility and have a unique look.

·
Registered
25 Posts
18 month update. I have had zero problems with this light bar. All LEDs are working and bright. Living in Colorado, we see our share of extreme weather, and this light bar has held up perfect. I would recommend this to everyone that wants to increase rear visibility and have a unique look.
Thanks for the update. Gonna pull the trigger on this...

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Titan S 4x4 single cab
71 Posts
So the Putco LED strip plugged into the flat 4 pin from the Curt Connector, and the only other wiring was tapping into the reverse center wire of the Curt 7 pin connector. Correct? No tapping into the tail lamps?

·
Registered
25 Posts
So the Putco LED strip plugged into the flat 4 pin from the Curt Connector, and the only other wiring was tapping into the reverse center wire of the Curt 7 pin connector. Correct? No tapping into the tail lamps?
Correct

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
So the switchblade has a regular flat 4 and then an extra reverse light wire?

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Was actually thinking of getting the Curt 5-flat t-harness and doing a little cutting/rewiring on the Putco, to get an all-in-one plug in with zero splicing. Not sure the Putco will work that way as it appears to be a round cable not separate wires on the 4-flat. There are a couple of other well-reviewed options I may consider which could be wired like I'd like, though.

Thanks for the response.

Reactions: dgart08

·
Registered
2020 Pro-4x CC Baja Storm
172 Posts
Just completed this, thanks to everyone above for helping me get started, especially @fcTITAN for blazing the trail!
I had also read elsewhere that this wasn't possible and I really wanted a good lightbar as the first upgrade to my hazard lighting. I sometimes need to work roadside and sometimes it makes more sense to take my personal vehicle, this lets me have an upgraded look without looking like a work truck until I hit the hazard button and put my magnetic yellow light on top. Prices have gone up but I was still able to get the above two parts for around $200 total by purchasing from Amazon Warehouse.

I took some install photos & did something different with my white light.

Here is the general layout for the connections on the tailgate as once install starts it's not possible to show everything, the zip ties come with the Curt Connector assuming your Warehouse deal still includes them:
Textile Wood Rectangle Bag Font

I wanted to start with the light mounting so I wouldn't end up zip tying things behind the bumper & not leaving myself enough slack, problem is the black box is fairly heavy so and the cable isn't long enough for it to sit on the ground so it kept pulling the light. Thankfully the truck was there to step in and help:
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Bumper
To center the light simply measure 3.5" from the center of your license plate screw (the camera makes it appear as though the tape is not centered on the screw, it's a liar 🤥):
Grille Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper

I took the red side of the tape off to mount the clips so I could pull the white side off easier after I pressed a starter corner into the tailgate to make sure things were straight. Having completed this I don't think that was needed but if you like you can do the same just to make sure you have more wiggle room before you commit to a full attachment:
If you hold down one side of the tape to the clip you can pull the red tape off, otherwise you'll make a mess of it and need to go buy a roll of tape from the store to fix it.
Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting Sky Automotive exterior Hood Rectangle Grille Grey Bumper
I tried mounting the light so I could have clips at the end which meant moving it up a little higher due to a cutout at each end, it cleared when the other end was still on the bumper so I thought I was good to go! I was not, once attached the center hit the light when I opened the tailgate, you must attach at the very bottom which means bringing the clips in quite a bit really, that is why you can see my first clip is under the A of the Titan rather than under the Ti, I put my middle clips about 15" in from the end of the light:

Water Atmosphere Automotive lighting Hood Sky

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Grille Car

Under the bumper again this little black box was uncooperative, it has screw holes if you want to run a couple self tappers but I live in the rust belt so I try to avoid that option, I eventually found a spot here where I could push it into that ledge & zip tie it to a hole I tried to capture that is behind it in this photo 🤷‍♂️, you can see it secured in the next photo:
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Automotive design

Here is a view of how the Wires Bring It 😉, I used white zip ties to help show where I put everything and how I secured all of the slack cable. I lowered the tire to get to this area but all of the connections are now as far as I can get them from the road spray and the ledge and tire bar guide made great tie points. I left some slack in the 4 way should I ever need to disconnect it & I intentionally coiled the cables so the fuse is in this same spot & accessible:
Automotive design Bumper Engineering Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

I was able to get the tire bar in without unclipping the flexible light bar!
Here you can see the wires and connections are not being pinched by the raised tire:
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
172 Posts
I went a different route with my white light and tapped it into the cargo lighting. This way I can turn it on with the Cargo Light Button rather than it only coming on in reverse. This will be very useful for unloading firewood in the dark, during hunting season, extra lighting at a work scene if needed & while it's very bright it's just a tiny notch below hurt your eyes bright - perfect:
Atmosphere Vehicle Car Automotive parking light Automotive lighting
Dark, near full moon, red parking lights on (including the light bar):
Wood Cloud Landscape Tints and shades Horizon
Factory reverse lighting (I was able to settle in a spot so I didn't need my foot on the brake):
Cloud Atmosphere Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire
Cargo & White Light Bar (in park):
Automotive lighting Plant Natural landscape Road surface Branch

·
Registered
172 Posts
Only thing is, now the bright white light also comes on every time you open the door & hit the unlock button. Might need to put a blanket there or something when camping, at the drive in, etc.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,813 Posts
they don't have drive ins here anymore. that would not be a worry here in south texas. man, drive in movies were great when i was a kid. i think they would be fun to go to still but i have not seen one since 92 in socal.

·
Registered
172 Posts
they don't have drive ins here anymore. that would not be a worry here in south texas. man, drive in movies were great when i was a kid. i think they would be fun to go to still but i have not seen one since 92 in socal.
They just opened the first daytime one in TN last week:
Other pop-up ones have been popular with that bug running around, you might have one closer to you than you think. We've had one about an hour away my whole life but there's more near me than before.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,813 Posts
if there is one around here, its probably in san Antonio or Austin. there used to be two here in Corpus Christi, but they closed before my family moved here in 93.

i remember going to them a lot as a kid in Hawaii and the riverside/corona area of southern California. lots of good memories at the play ground in the middle of the drive in while my parents watched whatever movie. its the same as how popular bowling alleys used to be also. i remember lots of evenings spent at the play ground at the bowling alleys while mom and dad bowled on leagues. especially in corona California. they had a little play ground and all us kids would go and just run and play.

stuff kids now a days will never know about, that's for sure. there are hardly any bowling alleys anymore, also. we used to have four or five here and now there is one in town and the one here on base.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts