Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I'm a new Titan owner. I wanted to find the best way to move my bicycle, and my kids 3 bikes in my truck. I searched here, and found the Yakima bike mounts. A little pricey for 4 bikes. Then I realized that only my bike had a front wheel that could be removed easily.

Anyway, somewhere, maybe even on one of the forum pages, I came across these plans to make a bike rack that fits in a truck bed out of pvc pipe. Thought I would post a picture of the finished product. I painted it black because I was a little messy with the purple pvc primer. $30 for materials + ($10 for 2 cans of spray paint-optional). The plan is for 3 bikes, but it includes the measurements to make a 4 bike rack, which is what I did.

Copy and paste this for the plans:
http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/bikerack/makerack.htm

Here's a picture of mine:

Enjoy,
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Looks good man, way to use yr' noggin'

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Smokin' but they're not my plans. I just followed the directions. Works great though, cheap too.

Mike

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Yea good find blue. You can make it stronger by using sch. 80 pipe instead.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree Heli. If this one breaks, or is stolen, I will build my next one out of schedule 80. That would be very solid.

Before I built this I was wondering if it would be strong. Once you get all the Ts and 90's glued together the thing is surprisingly strong. I also wondered how I would hold it down, but it is not a problem at all. I use two short bungies down to the permanent tie down brackets in the back of the bed, and it doesn't move.

Mike

·
Registered
250 Posts
These bike racks are pretty durable. I found these plans a few years ago and I never regretted building and using this. Make sure the tire is not too wide for the rack and on my full suspension bike I had to shift into the large sprocket/large cog to clear the drivetrain of the rack.

Shiny side up!

DESTRO

·
Registered
269 Posts
Rather than create a new post I thought I'd resurrect this from the dead!

I liked the original bike rack posted but the link is down, soooo I made my own and did a write up on instructibles.com

It was less than $20 including the bed liner paint!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Seems like the bikes would sway a lot in a rack like this. How do you keep them from moving?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Tagging for reference, great ideas! I'll be making one this weekend? Tailgate down and just strap them in? Looks good

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
761 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Seems like the bikes would sway a lot in a rack like this. How do you keep them from moving?
The way the two bars are setup in the back it keeps the bike from swaying. However, I do run a bungee cord through the front forks to prevent any 'potential' movement. I can try and get some pics if you need them. Here's a close up.

Tagging for reference, great ideas! I'll be making one this weekend? Tailgate down and just strap them in? Looks good

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Tailgate UP and just turn the wheels.

Sweet! I didn't even know that there was a thread like that! Thanks.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Nice, that makes sense. I think my rear deraileur hangs down a bit too far for that though... that and I already have a bike rack in my truck :D

Good share, wish I would have seen this before RAGBRAI this year as I had to build my dad a bike rack for 4 bikes and it was definitely >$40.

Tailgate up and turn the wheels for you smaller whimpy trucks ;) I think I could almost fit 2 bikes lengthways.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts