Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that on my new 08 that the RPMs are much lower (well below 2k RPM) while cruising around between 40-45 MPH than my 04 Titan with the same gearing and all. It seems the torque converter locks up much sooner and stays locked longer...or maybe its just finding 5th sooner and staying there, I don't know. My 04 would never stay below 2k RPM...even cruising at those speeds. Have any of you 08 owners who've had earlier Titans noticed this? I'm wondering if mileage will be a little better because of it.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
My 05 locks in 5th at 38-40 mph when fully warmed up, and MPG still suk....lol..

·
Registered
27 Posts
yeah i totally noticed that my 08 le cruises between 40-50 below 2k rpm.. i never had a titan before so i dont have anything to comepare it too.. but it definatly isnt getting better gas milage i am consistantly 11.6 mpg.... wit nothing in the back... its ****ing horrible hahaha not that it really matters bc i love the F out of the truck, and if you can afford a $50,000 truck you should be able to put gas in it 3 times a week

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Agreed with everyone on this - my 08 has 2100 miles on it and gets 13mpg average hwy/cty with that rpm at the 40-50mph.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't really care so much about the mileage, but it seems so much quieter than my 04 because of the lower RPMs. Just seems smoother and more refined now, that's all.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
i always leave mine in 4th gear when im in town..i just like to have the power right there when i need it..

·
Registered
301 Posts
I drive all city and thru downtown everyday, I've 1700 miles on it. Gas mileage is coming up, it is now upto 12.7. Also I noticed that on highway cruising at 75 mph, RPMs are still around 1800-1900.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
My '05 will lock the T/C doing 40-45 and drop the RPMs down to about 1500 or so, even while going up slight hills. The exhaust sounds nice at those RPMs with a slight load. :D

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 04 would lock up but the 08s take some real throttle to kick it down. The 04 would take a tiny throttle tap and downshift or unlock the TC. A very different feel.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Don't the PRO-4X's have a lower gear ratio? Could that be associated w/ the lower RPM's?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
My 04 would lock up but the 08s take some real throttle to kick it down. The 04 would take a tiny throttle tap and downshift or unlock the TC. A very different feel.
I'm pretty sure I read that the '04 has different trans programming than the '05+. It takes a bit of throttle to get mine to unlock or kick down if I'm going over 40mph. I can be going up hill and holding speed down to 1200rpm before it will unlock or downshift.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
BlackPro4x08 said:
Don't the PRO-4X's have a lower gear ratio? Could that be associated w/ the lower RPM's?
Same gears as the BT and OR packages.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yahooligan said:
I'm pretty sure I read that the '04 has different trans programming than the '05+. It takes a bit of throttle to get mine to unlock or kick down if I'm going over 40mph. I can be going up hill and holding speed down to 1200rpm before it will unlock or downshift.
Oh ok, I didn't know that. Makes perfect sense. Much different than my old truck.
I had the OR package (and BT) on my 04 BlackPro4x08, so I had the same gearing you and I have in the PRO-4X. The different programming would definitely explain it. It feels more like it has power now because it's not hunting (or locking and unlocking) like it used to. Good upgrade.

·
Registered
41,353 Posts
BlackPro4x08 said:
That would actually raise the RPM.

HV, my 04 cruises at those RPM levels, no problem.

it is right at 2K at 70 and is around 1500 at 45 to 50, with the OR and Tow packages.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I did notice the same thing with the low rpms at when I first got it. Seems like it does it's best to get to 5th as quickly as possible. I also never realized how quiet my '08 was until I drove my wife's '07 Quest today.

She's always giving me crap about wanting to take my truck when we run errands. So I decided to entertain her, and take the Quest today. that beeotch is noisy compared to the Titan. Tons of road noise. I never realized it until today.

Not too long ago, I was driving to work and lucked out by getting almost all green lights to work. About 20 miles at 40-50 mph...5th gear the whole way. I actually got the mileage indicator up close to 21 mpg. Real-Life for me is about 15.5 combined city/hwy.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
konigfritz said:
That would actually raise the RPM.

HV, my 04 cruises at those RPM levels, no problem.

it is right at 2K at 70 and is around 1500 at 45 to 50, with the OR and Tow packages.
Yes but the 08s take a lot more throttle to kick down meaning the 04 would seemingly hunt at low speeds, for the lack of a better word, between lockup/5th, whereas the 08 seems to be much more comfortable without all that hunting.

·
Registered
41,353 Posts
gotcha.

Congrats on the new truck.

Hows it tow the big toy compared to the 04'?

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
konigfritz said:
gotcha.

Congrats on the new truck.

Hows it tow the big toy compared to the 04'?
I haven't really driven it all that much! I've been using the Bug and keeping it in the garage so it stays clean...lol. But so far what I've noticed is that it's a better put together truck than my 04 was. Doors shut with a more solid, quieter sound. It rides a bit smoother but I take that to be the longer wheelbase. The engine is much quieter and smooth than I remember in the 04. And although I haven't really opened her up yet, it feels more responsive and peppy. I can't speak about mileage figures yet though. After claiming
I never open that stupid rear window", I like the power back window. Being longer than my 04, I only notice it when trying to fit it into a parking spot at the mall or wherever...need 2 front and rear spots.
I love the RF and bluetooth hands free setup. And the seats, although pics don't really show it, are all new. Much more plush and better material (so far...we'll see as time goes on). Overall, I'm happy I made the leap to the 08. Now if only I know they were going to extend the $5000 cash back to the 08.5s.....

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
I tested my 05 yesterday: at 45mph it's at ~1100rpm

1 - 20 of 20 Posts