Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a question it seems like my speedo is never more than 2 mph off checked against a gps app on my phone. What my question is how much is my odometer off now for gas mileage calculations

Sent from my Samsung Fascinate using the auto guide app

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I would think it will show as is in that when I lifted mine, my mpg average showed a decrease on the nav screen.

·
Premium Member
7,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well mine doesnt show gas mileage I do it the old fashioned way. but I think with the bigger tires its not adding all the miles it should.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
do you remember what you averaged befor the lift say 340 per tank for example. so take what your averaging now and divide that by 28. So if I get 320 now divided by 28 is 11.43 miles per gallon. Also I think its correct b/c the rotation is greater and will show accordingly.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
You may need to use the trip feature on a real GPS for that. FWIW, Sam's has some decent prices on Garmins.

·
Premium Member
7,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I mighy just grab someone next time I go home and drive say a hundred miles and have them compare how many miles they drove vs my hundred

·
Registered
947 Posts
do you remember what you averaged befor the lift say 340 per tank for example. so take what your averaging now and divide that by 28. So if I get 320 now divided by 28 is 11.43 miles per gallon. Also I think its correct b/c the rotation is greater and will show accordingly.
Divide by 28?... I would say start with a full tank and divide by how ever much it takes to fill it back up... Unless you have the long bed with the 37 gallon tank, I doubt that you're actually using 28 gallons between fill ups

Also check this out, it should answer some of your questions
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=US#/watch?v=R3tdDfMrHSo

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
You aren't out of gas when you fill up.

Top off a full tank of gas (28 gallons, approximately). Reset your trip to 0. Drive until you need to get some go go juice again. Top off your tank. Check how many gallons of gas you put in. Divide the trip mileage, by how many gallons you put in at that very moment.

Example, (real numbers from today): I topped it off a few days ago, giving me 28 gallons total. I drove 250 miles. I topped it off again with 28 gallons. There is obviously gas left in the tank. I put in 25 gallons. I divided the trip mileage, (250), by the gallons that I just put in, (25). That gives me 10 mpg.

·
Premium Member
7,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Divide by 28?... I would say start with a full tank and divide by how ever much it takes to fill it back up... Unless you have the long bed with the 37 gallon tank, I doubt that you're actually using 28 gallons between fill ups

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=US#/watch?v=R3tdDfMrHSo
That what I do but how far off is the odo cause of the taller tires?

·
Registered
947 Posts
The video says 9% increase with 35" tires

·
Premium Member
7,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok thanks hadnt watched the vid yet

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
You aren't out of gas when you fill up.

Top off a full tank of gas (28 gallons, approximately). Reset your trip to 0. Drive until you need to get some go go juice again. Top off your tank. Check how many gallons of gas you put in. Divide the trip mileage, by how many gallons you put in at that very moment.

Example, (real numbers from today): I topped it off a few days ago, giving me 28 gallons total. I drove 250 miles. I topped it off again with 28 gallons. There is obviously gas left in the tank. I put in 25 gallons. I divided the trip mileage, (250), by the gallons that I just put in, (25). That gives me 10 mpg.
true true, your are rt. I wanted to give an exampe but yours is the correct way to do it.

Fuelly app will do this for you as well.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
My attempt to give a quick example was incorrect and misleading. You guys are rt in resetting the odometer and then on the next fill up divide miles traveled by how many gallons to top it off.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I had a question it seems like my speedo is never more than 2 mph off checked against a gps app on my phone. What my question is how much is my odometer off now for gas mileage calculations

my gps was about 3mph faster. my odometer was 5.5% less than the trip on the gps. ex.(300 on odo and 317 on gps) i did this at least 25 times and always came up with the same. so with that being said i add 5.5% to my miles then divide by the numbers of gallons of gas. oh i forgot, i got the 2.93 gears

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
So that means when I go to sell my T I will have more miles than it really shows?! :eyebrow:

This is why my BDGT gives me a mpg of around 11.3-11.5 then, instead of the 10 mpg I get doing it myself.

·
Registered
785 Posts
So that means when I go to sell my T I will have more miles than it really shows?! :eyebrow:

This is why my BDGT gives me a mpg of around 11.3-11.5 then, instead of the 10 mpg I get doing it myself.
yes and yes

·
Registered
947 Posts

It's actually yes and no... The truck will have traveled farther than what it says on the odometer when it comes time to sell..

The bullydog GT situation is actually misunderstood.. If the BDGT was set to the exact parameters of the truck, it will read that you get LESS mpgs than you really do... The reason people might be experiencing otherwise is because the fuel usage reading can be manually adjusted in the vehicle settings of the BDGT.

My advice would be to
-Top your tank off
-Go on a long trip
-Top it off again
-Calculate mileage traveled(GPS calculation, not odometer)/gal used to fill the tank back up

Once you get that mileage, go to the vehicle settings on the BDGT and adjust accordingly until the number you calculated matches what shows on the display.

*Note
It took me about 3 trips and about 6 fill ups to get an exact reading

1 - 17 of 17 Posts